Quantcast

Skrimps!!!!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Anyone got any good recipes?
We are getting tire of the different incarnations of pasta & risotto.
Any ideas would be sweet.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Skrimps huh? How about a nice simple one:

1 cup quartered cherry or grape tomatoes (about 12)
5 large fresh basil leaves, chopped, plus extra for garnish
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 pounds medium-large shrimp, shelled and deveined
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 large clove garlic, minced

In a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes with the basil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside while you prepare the shrimp.
Divide the shrimp between 2 (8 or 9-inch) pie pans and pat them completely dry with a paper towel. Arrange the shrimp so they lay flat and are evenly spaced in the pans.

Heat 2 large skillets over medium heat, or do this in 2 batches if you only have 1 pan. Season 1 side of the shrimp with salt and pepper. Add enough oil to lightly film the bottom of the pan and turn the heat up to high. Invert the pan of shrimp so they all fall into the skillet(s) at once. Saute the shrimp, undisturbed, until they turn golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Add a bit more oil and 1/2 the garlic to each pan. Turn the heat off and turn the shrimp over with tongs. Cook the shrimp for 1 minute in the residual heat of the pans. Transfer the shrimp to the bowl with the tomato mixture and toss to combine. Divide the shrimp among 4 plates or a serving platter and serve hot or at room temperature.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Fail-safe summer party food: Marinate large shrimp for about 20 mins or so in pineapple juice, rum, some kind of hot pepper, and a little sugar, then grill 'em quick, basting with a little more of the marinade. Alone they will disappear quickly, or serve as part of a surf and turf.

For a viet/thai thing, do the same thing with fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and a little rice wine. Serve over rice noodles with mint, basil, julienned carrots, scallions, and daikon, chopped peanuts.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Imported shrimp can be really bad environmentally. U.S. and Canadian farmed and wild caught shrimp is fine, but the stuff from S.E. Asia often comes that the expense of mangrove forests. The clearing of mangrove forests screws the nutrient cycling processes in the coastal areas, life becomes unsustainable, and so more mangrove is cut. The coast becomes barren and lifeless. I was very disappointed to learn about this because I like shrimp, but now I feel compelled to know where my shrimp comes from before I eat it.

Oh, and you can use them in fresh Vietnamese spring rolls! Mmmm.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Don't know what it is called , but i saw this on a cooking show gave it a try and it was very good.
Peel and devain shrimp.
Flash fry in hot oil just to slightly brown and seer. remove and place in papertowels top drain oil.
chop an onion and sautee untill translucent
add a mix of Mushrooms cut up and sautee untill they are golden brown.
add some proshuto ham diced and some plain boiled ham diced as well.
deglaze the pan with some white wine. I used some 3.00 a bottle champagne.
once it comes back up to a simmer add the shrimp back in and let reduce for 20 min.
add in some heavy cream let simmer untill thickened
add in a handfull of fresh peas let them warm up
remove from heat and add some Parmagane cheese.
serve with toasted garlic bread.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Don't know what it is called , but i saw this on a cooking show gave it a try and it was very good.
Peel and devain shrimp.
Flash fry in hot oil just to slightly brown and seer. remove and place in papertowels top drain oil.
chop an onion and sautee untill translucent
add a mix of Mushrooms cut up and sautee untill they are golden brown.
add some proshuto ham diced and some plain boiled ham diced as well.
deglaze the pan with some white wine. I used some 3.00 a bottle champagne.
once it comes back up to a simmer add the shrimp back in and let reduce for 20 min.
add in some heavy cream let simmer untill thickened
add in a handfull of fresh peas let them warm up
remove from heat and add some Parmagane cheese.
serve with toasted garlic bread.
Your Italian spelling makes Baby Jesus cry. ;)

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
For a viet/thai thing, do the same thing with fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and a little rice wine. Serve over rice noodles with mint, basil, julienned carrots, scallions, and daikon, chopped peanuts.
Made something along these lines the other night it was really good. We added garlic, shallots, cilantro, & some other stuff I can't remember.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Not sure I understand, but if you need to keep the smell down, you might consider another source for you skrimps.
Maybe I'm just over cautious. I trashed some shrimp peels and left town for a week without taking out the trash a few years back...

The only shrimps I eat are fresh from the gulf of California.

It just seems less pungent when you use a more watery "lube".

:think: