Quantcast

Skull Splitter Ale... this is so good it will make you wanna plunder an Abby or two!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The Vikings pretty much plundered and settled just about everywhere within 100 miles of the coast of every European country. Hell - the town of York in England has a Viking settlement below the current city.

I'd not be at all surprised if the Orkney Islands are littered with the descendents of Vikings.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I was always under the impression that Vikings originated from Scandinavia, while some of them may have setteled in other parts of Europe along coasts.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMcG said:
The brew is made in Scotland so that guy on the cover is probably a Celt and not a Viking or Norseman.

All your answers here: http://www.legendslimited.com/skull.html

SkullSplitter is a Scottish robust ale with a distinctive flavor (8.5% ABV). It is named for Thorfinn Hausakluif (SkullSplitter), the Seventh Viking Earl of Orkney. The Orkney Islands lie off the northern tip of Scotland at latitude 60 North. For 600 years they were ruled by the Viking Earls who owed allegiance to Norse Kings.

These rich green islands were the perfect base from which the Vikings launched their raiding parties down the east and west coasts of Scotland; across to Ireland; down into England, and further south into Europe.

The brewing of ale was a great Viking tradition which the native Orcadians readily adopted, and for centuries each croft and farm has brewed its own special guarded recipe.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Are Baboon said:
I was always under the impression that Vikings originated from Scandinavia, while some of them may have setteled in other parts of Europe along coasts.
Yes.... but there is more...

The Normans (adapted from the name "Northmen" or "Norsemen") were a people who colonized Normandy, conquered England, and played a major political, military and cultural role in the northern and Mediterranean parts of medieval Europe for centuries. Their most famous achievement was the Norman Conquest of England in 1066.

Originally they derived from the indigenous population of Neustria and Vikings originating in present day Denmark and Norway.

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
I can't say for any Viking history, but a pale ale from the Blue Star Brewing Co split my head open all day Sunday. Actually it was two, but no way should two beers make my head hurt.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i had an oyster stout @ the porterhouse while in dublin. purportedly brewed w/ real oysters. not that i could taste them. it was damn good though.