Quantcast

skyway tuff's

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
lately i've had the urge to get a front skyway tuffmag for my 20. i don't need a new front wheel but i think it will look sweet. few questions though..

how do they hold up to general pegless street/dirt abuse? i know there are a few old school guys on here who have probably ran these before. this may sound stupid, but how do you true them if possible?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
You dont true them... they arnt as strong as a built spoked wheel and you can only run them with small axles. They are cheap.... so youll have to do your own math. Theres a reason you dont see many or anyone using them except for show bikes.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
ha, well...

interesting to hear. not being able to true them makes sense obviously, just ignore my retardation. i think i'll save my money for other things at this point.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I dig em. Do it. I'm pondering building up a "new retro" cruiser(Kappa) with real street geo and using some 24" Tuffs till they break or get stolen for their blatant sex appeal. Their whole adavantage is that they DON'T have to be trued. Who gives a **** if these youngin's here don't get it, and I'm bettin the haters that "ran them as kids" didn't have tuffs, they prob had Peregrines or an even worse knock off. They're not called "Tuffs" for the lack of a cooler name!

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
them are some badass wheels son.
i'm thinkin about building a cruiser for my girl with some tuffs.

throw some tuffs on that bitch!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
He's talkin pegless and I rode for 10-15 years with those axles just fine. GRANTED, "street" riding was NOT like it is today! But I think light grinding and basic street stuff would be no issue at all.
I wish the new Tag wheels were more accepted...kinda thinking they'd look pretty sick on an all-black Bottle Rocket. But I often wonder about crosswinds with mags and big air... would make things more exciting, that's for sure!

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
well now a few of you have me interested again. this would be a front wheel only and i run 3/8's up front..actually i use andy's nut's(3/8's-14mm conversion axle nuts) so a 14mm axle isn't an issue. i mite have to do it...it's kind of either this front wheel, or twisted PC's and a new seat/post combo. oh how i love spending money:imstupid:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well...that about does it! I bet withim 2-3 months time of Landon having posted that pic, Skyway will be selling out of mags and offering 14mm axles. It has begun. Anyone who doesn't get hard over that is gee ay why.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Thru-Axle too...

[/IMG]

hey, whattya' know, I just posted that pic awhile ago over on another forum!? :crazy: was Twisted's ride, the guy from MC who had the first Battery or something. This bike was built well over a season ago if I'm not mistaken... so I don't think it's really going to up your share value if you hold any in skyway, haha...
although that new vid from Cool kids called black mags may do just the same, hahaha....

There's LOTS of dudes runnin'em on their cruisers over here in Japan. more of a style thing than anything else though.

and you true'em in your freezer too. :biggrin:

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I'm diggin' this new ODSY proto mag.

super lightweight, and adds a bit of susp. give... well, that is unless you land on the wrong 10% of the wheel.

proto ANimal pizza mag. Or more importantly, is that a proto gum ASM??? ;)

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I remember having good brakes. In fact... now that you can look back on it... seems like as the mag started fading out, more peeps started running brakeless. Coincidence? I think not.
And I don't like the 6-spoke so much, but LOVE the 20" 5-spoke. I loved my mags...

Here ya go kiddies.. to the days of way back...