Quantcast

Slack angled trailbike

haggis

Chimp
Jun 22, 2003
Daegu, S.Korea
Struck a crisis point - Been riding my Banshee Scream with shuttles and lovin it. Without the shuttles though, my riding aboard my AC1 blows; The stability just ain't there to open 'er up with confidence on the steep downs...
Need recommendations on a slack head-angled bike that can be ridden for at least an afternoon without having to donate a kidney. Seems most 'trailbikes' basically lack DH stability. Is a light DH ride the only solution? What do you guys ride when there's no shuttle/chair to take you up the hill?? I have learned that weight is not the greatest concern as the Banshee pedals supoibe...

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
If weight isn't really a consideration, a 24 Bikes Le Dude may fit the bill. 5'5" to 7" of travel and perhaps the slackest angles I've seen outside of a DH bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
if stability is your primary concern, I don't think it's just the headtube angle, there is more to it than that.

Some freeride and trail bikes like the ellsworth Id have sky-high bottom bracket heights, around 15". Other trail bikes like the turner 5 spot and my fxr are down around 13.7", that makes a huge difference in stability. You probably also want something with longer seat stays, at least 17". The new turner 6-pack is going to have 17.1" stays, should be fairly low, so it may be a good bike to wait for.

DH bikes have higher BB heights than XC bikes usually, but they have a longer wheelbase too, so when you decrease the wheelbase and raise the bottom bracket, as is done with a lot of freeriders and some trail bikes, you can definitely get something that is not nearly as stable.

Headtube angle, top tube length, bottom bracket height, wheelbase and chainstay length should all be contributers here, so you'll probably need to pick the bike that has most of these qualities in your favor, definitely not a bike that has just "one" or "two" of these...

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I don't think the HA is stability as JM said. I ride a 2004 Heckler and took it to snowshoe and was doing race speed runs on it just fine. And it was with a fox vanilla on it. Listen nto JM

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
YETI187 said:
you may also want to check out the specialized enduro sx
Explain why a short slalom/jump type bike is going to be very stable at speed. It's going to be severely lacking in some of the areas mentioned above.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Jm_ said:
Explain why a short slalom/jump type bike is going to be very stable at speed. It's going to be severely lacking in some of the areas mentioned above.
Maybe he meant the new Enduro SX trail? But otherwise, the combination of short chainstays (and therefore a short wheelbase), a steep headangle, and short travel are going to combine into a lack of stability at speed.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Maybe get a BigHit, an old RFX, or an Azonic Saber?

A lot of the things that make your DH bike so enjoyable to descend on are in direct opposition to those things that make a trailbike...

haggis

Chimp
Jun 22, 2003
Daegu, S.Korea
Diferent strokes for different folks - My Banshee is hardly DH specific with it's short wheelbase and for me, short top tube. Although it wouldn't be the best DH racer's choice, it works grand for freriding and the rocky courses we ride here. And as Jm was saying, jump-bikes can rocket too; my Ruckus flies most DH courses, faster than the AC1 unless it's real rocky.
I was thinking more Yeti AS-X seeing as I want something more all-day yet equivocal to the Banshee.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
The problem with slack angles on an all day bike is that they require a greater amount of effort to keep the bike tracking straight up hills than steeper angles. If you're looking for something with roughly the same angles as your banshee you're going to find something that pedals up hill roughly as well as the banshee.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Take a trail bike and put a long fork on it. Instant slack head angle and longer wheel base. Use a fork like a zokes with ETA, and you can still get the front end down enough for long climbs. I have a hardtail with a 5" Z1 on it. While it is definitly not a DH bike, it handles pretty damn well.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
my turner xce kills trails and it is 4 in the back and 5 in the front. oh and its for sale......... did i mention thta already?

B

bighitfsr

The bighit comp in the 5.5" X 67deg travel setting is low and slack.
Mine is set up like this and its almost as slack as my DH bike (sherman firefly up front).
The frame is a little heavy for general trail riding though.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
buildyourown said:
Take a trail bike and put a long fork on it. Instant slack head angle and longer wheel base. Use a fork like a zokes with ETA, and you can still get the front end down enough for long climbs. I have a hardtail with a 5" Z1 on it. While it is definitly not a DH bike, it handles pretty damn well.
I have a Z1 on my Belair and I really like it in this set up. It took me a few rides to adjust, but I rode on Sunday and cleaned some tough switchback climbs and step ups without a problem and I can just let the bike rip on descents now! I really like this 5" in front 4.5" in the rear set up on the Balfa now. Good stuff.

haggis

Chimp
Jun 22, 2003
Daegu, S.Korea
Sure, angled as the Banshee it might steer like a milk truck uphill but hopefully not weigh like one too... Basically a lighter longer Scream is in order. The AC1 has a 35mm stem and it still descends as teenagers nuts compaired to the Banshee which, in whilst we're on an analogy run, goes down like a Thai hooker- FAST.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, perhaps you should get a Chapparal if you're so happy with the Scream?

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I can't believe nobody on here mentioned the perfect bike for our fellow Monkey. The Ellsworth Joker! It is fairly light, 6-7" of travel depending on the year. Slanck angles even running a 5" fork, fairly long chainstays and a longer top tube. If you are 6' or taller I know a guy has a really sweet frame for sale on here that is a large size. Flat black with silver rear end. He goes by the name of Gumby and has it listed in the frames section of Buy and Sell. Check it out unless you are shorter than 6'.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Andy,

I'm thinking you're looking for something to ride up Apsan and Achasan, Nutcracker, Middle Finger, Bug, etc and generally rip up technical Kimchitrack?

Perhaps an Iron Horse 7point7 when it comes out? I'll let you know how the DW platform pedals compared to the BH when my Sunday factory w/ Breakout+ arrives in the fall. The Sundays are quite long and apparently pedal superbly....

Looks like I won't get to Korea this year. :(

-S

haggis

Chimp
Jun 22, 2003
Daegu, S.Korea
Long time coming but I have a sveltly-dressed Evil Sovereign as my newly-wed. Rides sweet - I dig the tight ass on it. My devolving to a 5 inch Vanilla front shock is a shocker though - Really begs for a 6" up front to keep up with the Ruckus with 2001 triple clamp Junior T...
New rides rule.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
Long time coming but I have a sveltly-dressed Evil Sovereign as my newly-wed. Rides sweet - I dig the tight ass on it. My devolving to a 5 inch Vanilla front shock is a shocker though - Really begs for a 6" up front to keep up with the Ruckus with 2001 triple clamp Junior T...
New rides rule.
What about your Scream??are you still riding it??cheers!!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
consider a bottlerocket? depending on how you build it, you could get as light as 35lbs and have a reasonable rig. mine is in at 41lbs and i have it set with a double chainring. i run it with a 36VAN and it is good for speedy dh stuff. it is a bit big for tighter trails. a smaller fork would fix that. i ran a Pike on it for a few weeks and it was a much better trail bike. consider something with a travel adjust that will take you down to about 120mm. any lower than that and the bike doesn't feel good on the downhill. however about 130mm feels great on the tighter trails.

consider the sizing of the frames. i am 6'1" and should have gone with a medium for a "flickable" bike. the large size feels much more like a stable dh bike. it also has enough seat tube and top tube for XC pedaling.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
canfield balance
yeti 575,
transition preston
giant reign
get a longer top tube and run a short stem too

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
You ride a Giant AC and are wondering why its crap? You do know that AC stands for Absolute Crap right?

Maybe the ****ty ride comes from the incredible flex coming out of the back end, or long stays, or strange angles, or terrible bobbing, or any other the other problems plaguing that bike.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
He just said that he found a bike and then you're recommending more. Maybe reading a thread before posting in it is a good idea.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I was thinking more Yeti AS-X seeing as I want something more all-day yet equivocal to the Banshee.
Do it.

Full length seatpost, relatively steep seatpost. Those are the key issues for making any bike XC-able. I keep up with XC guys on mine all the time, I do all day epics, and I never have to back down from a drop because I'm worried the bike can't take it. The only change I make from xc to dh is tires.

Allow me to pimp this here. (again)

haggis

Chimp
Jun 22, 2003
Daegu, S.Korea
Yes SirChomps - The Banshee is a lifer. She runs the steeper/narlier Korean trails with purrfectly good trail manners, and bad manners when the leash is slackened...
As for the AC being crap DropMachine, far from it my friend. Reason I got the AC (part from it being unpassable deal) was it's chameleon nature - I've seen these frames ride 12' to flat on tarmac and come out smiling yet the XC-come FR riders get brazen woodys aboard it too. She's been sat atop my workstand for the past year being parted out because it lacks that spring lamb vitality in it's bones. Simply put, it's a tad boring. My Sovereign on the otherhand fits the bill sweetly. Spirited yet stable whilst hugging sharp sweepy trails tighter than J-Lo's g-string. Not too fly for any white guy... Now if I could dig deeper for a Fox 36...

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
Has anyone mentioned the Transtion Bottle Rocket? I do alot of my aggresive trial /freeride (ugh!) work on a Sinister Splinter MX which has adjustable geo. But these are kinda hard to come by.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
has anybody noticed that he started this thread in 2004 and has already found a bike?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Slack trail bike in 2004 probably had a 70 degree head angle. This information is outdated. :busted:
Agreed. With an adjustable fork (140mm - 180mm) my 6" bike is 64 degrees at it's slackest. VERY stable now that I put that fork on and I can do pretty much equal DH pace runs as I can on my big bike unless I am on the roughest stuff out there. I don't know what the HA is at when I have it at 140mm, but it suits just fine for climbing even if not 100% pure XC geometry.