Quantcast

Slackening Demo9 with shorter avy?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I love my Demo9, but I'd like it a bit lower and slacker. I already run around 40% sag, so more sag isn't an option. Has anyone ever used a shock like a 9.25x3 or a 9x3 avy in these things?

Anyone compare an avy woodie to a Vivid 5.1?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
you may need a shock with a shorter stroke, if the frame doesn't have room to compress anymore. you need to take off your current shock and let the suspension compress all the way, then measure how far apart the shock holes are apart. this would be the shortest compressed shock length you could use.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you may need a shock with a shorter stroke, if the frame doesn't have room to compress anymore. you need to take off your current shock and let the suspension compress all the way, then measure how far apart the shock holes are apart. this would be the shortest compressed shock length you could use.
I would also recommend adding a little bit extra to this distance, you don't want your swingarm/links/front triangle to come in contact with each other every time you bottom out.

Not too familiar with the all the demos - what size is your headtube? if its 1.5 reducer cups are an option. you could also increase your forks a-c height, but that will affect other things as well.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I had a demo 9 a few years ago with a shorter shock. I believe it was a 9 or 9 1/4 x 2 3/4. I bought it used that way from ET on the classifieds. I ran a Boxxer with 7 inches of travel so it wasn't much slacker, but lower and less travel. I loved the way it rode.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
There is your answer.
Probably not, shortening the i2i by 3/8's of an inch is probably gonna cause interference issues. Funny, I'm looking at buying a demo 9 and putting my avy on this to do the exact same thing. But I'm thinking either 9.25x3 or 9x2.75 or maybe 9.25x2.85 or something weird like that. Nice thing about the avy's is that if you can machine a spacer you can pretty much make it whatever stroke you want (I believe) only thing you have to worry about then is getting different shafts/lower eyelet piece thingy.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I'll have a think about that shock Brian (how do you feel about posting to the land of OZ?). I'll have to go home and measure exactly how much I really want to chop off. I want 14" BB and 64 degrees.

I currently have a Vivid, has anyone shortened these? Might be a bit complicated with the integral resivour housing and the inner tube that also has to be cut down. The avy does sound appealing, especially as spares are available to change it to any stroke and length I like. Other thing, on the Avy website it says the Woody is a maybe on the fit. Anyone confirm yay or nay? The Vivid's HS rebound adjuster did rub slightly on the frame untill it wore away the excess metal.

The Demo doesn't have a 1.5 headtube, otherwise I'd be all over the cups option. I want to keep the demo because it has everything that's right about demo's, but a bit more progressive and sturdier than the new ones.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Probably not, shortening the i2i by 3/8's of an inch is probably gonna cause interference issues. Funny, I'm looking at buying a demo 9 and putting my avy on this to do the exact same thing. But I'm thinking either 9.25x3 or 9x2.75 or maybe 9.25x2.85 or something weird like that. Nice thing about the avy's is that if you can machine a spacer you can pretty much make it whatever stroke you want (I believe) only thing you have to worry about then is getting different shafts/lower eyelet piece thingy.
If there is going to be interference I don't think it's going to make a difference from my 9 1/8" to a 9 1/4" or a 9" i2i. That was the main part of my experiment, to have a shorter i2i and maintain the same stroke of the shock, so the travel wouldn't be affected. The only thong you need to watch with the custom length shock is spring length. The stock Marzocchi steel spring is silly long, so you need to find a shorter spring that will work with that stoke of shock.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Sure about that?
There were quite a few 9s around here when they were available, I dont remember ANY of them being anyhwere near a 63* head angle. I suppose it might be close to possible with an 888 of that era, with a tall crown, set as tall as possible..so a 615mm A-C fork.

It is not like Spec has always had accurate geo on their site.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
There were quite a few 9s around here when they were available, I dont remember ANY of them being anyhwere near a 63* head angle. I suppose it might be close to possible with an 888 of that era, with a tall crown, set as tall as possible..so a 615mm A-C fork.

Hmm, maybe I should stick to a demo 8 then.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
My bad about the year, 06' was the last. They are way steeper than a Sunday when put side by side. It's more the lower BB I want anyway.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco

Were they running them in the low/slack setting or the high/steep setting. The 05's and earlier were hella steep, like 65-67, maybe they were those?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
It has been a while, so anything is possible.

It would not surprise me if what I remember is pre-06 (and I did not realize that they made such significant geo changes for 06) as most people had moved on to other things my then. I just remember looking at that bike a bit when it was 'cool' (must have been 04 & 05)and it was not significantly different in head angle than either the Foes Fly or DHR that I had durring that time so that would be 66-65*.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that all the Demo 9 frames are identical...again, could be wrong, but I think the only thing that changed was the geo chart.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Something in the back of my head says the same thing (again, I did not own one or have them sitting here to measure, and I could very well be completely off)..I seem to remember geo charts being altered/ofset for changing forks....ie change from 7" boxxer to the 9 foot tall 888s.

I do know for sure that the 7s and 8s have had inconsistant geo (chart vs reality). Kiwoooo would be a good reference for this (although it wont tell you anything about the 9, just that Spec geo charts are suspect).

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I had an 04 demo9 only thing changed was color and rear shock.
Kyle Strait was running a shorter i2i back in the day I believe it was a 9" i2i but not positive it was so long ago.

24" rear wheel bad idea that frame is not the greatest on square edge hits to begin with

Last edited: