Quantcast

>>>Slacker Monday GEE EM TEE<<<

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
kid has some manner of cold. working from home. was awake for probably 90 minutes in the middle of the night, so rough start to the day.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin folks!

Back at it again after a solid weekend on the bike. As @6thElement posted Saturday, we managed to put in a little over 30 miles with 5K feet of ascending on our way from Kenosha to Breckenridge. I bonked hard at mile 23 or so (probably hadn't been eating enough) and had to hike a bike up some hills. So much for the missing link, I have found who the weakest link is.

The crew on top of Georgia Pass looking all happy.

IMG_1811 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Last edited:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning, kids! Back to work after 11 days off (counting weekends). I slept so much last week. So.Much.Sleep. We got home from Canada on Tuesday and I spent the next five days sleeping, sitting on my ass, and doing a whole lot of nothing. I am surprised my sleep pattern didn't get disrupted at all, but I guess my body really needed all the rest. Another week of recovery coming up, then I dive right into training for an Oct 8 marathon.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Crashed hard within the first mile of my ride yesterday. Landed with my knee in my stem and bars and jammed myself up pretty good. Kinda lost my mojo after that so headed back to the truck and grabbed my work gloves and beers and dug some trail with my buddy Chris instead. Got about 20 yards of bench cutting mostly finished:
IMG_1709.JPG

Limping around today and looking at knee pads.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. Donating money to the local dentist today and then possibly moseying into work depending on how I feel.

Mariko has apparently convinced Jessica to tool around the neighborhood later this morning, with Mariko on her strider bike and Jessica on my 5010 with the dropper almost all the way dropped. My quality of life will be much better if Jessica doesn't gouge her shins with the pedals. I warned her already...

:D

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Mixed bag o' racing BMX this weekend. Had a great time but had some tough races for both of us. Kid is in a spot where he can't coast on talent any more/watch other kids play video games any more right up to his moto. He's also not used to racing with 7 other fairly aggressive kids right out of the gate. Time to think of some ways to help him get from good to better without being an annoying parent coach. Saturday was good for me, but big dogs came out on Sunday, including top 10 national old dudes. I attempted to push off one old dude I used to race in the 80's, and he pushed me back, literally - 190 lb me with elbow behind 275 lb dude = I lost, had to brake check or fall. Need to keep in mind the war (qualifying) and not the battle (beating an old rival)!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Went bowling yesterday with the family for my SiL's bday. First time with my 3 year old and he was just having a blast. Might have to take him again pretty soon. At least I have a 4 day weekend coming up.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Present. First day of school for kiddos. 11yo was cool; 6yo wasn't having it (new school this year). Sheesh.

Coffee still being consumed. Need to go find some lunchorz...and to remember to pick up some beer on the way home.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
First day of school my oldest is tomorrow. Stayed home with him this morning, and my wife is with him now. he seems pretty mellow about it all. I hope he ends up with a good teacher, he starts grade 1, so now he has to learn to sit at a desk and sit still for 6 hours a day. oh joy, I can't wait to see what he'll be like at the end of the day.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Went for a super lazy shuttle ride yesterday. Seems 4 ghetto spacers in the shock have had the desired effect of preventing massive bottom out issues at 25% sag. Win.

One thing though: My stem keeps twisting on my steer tube. It's a Thomson stem, and has puny 3mm bolts. I tried to snug them up trailside, but if I go any tighter, I'm going to strip the head. Super annoying.

Must be due to my ridiculous 800mm bars... Or I got grease on my steer tube in my haste to bolt the bike together.... Either way, I think I've close to ruined the existing stem bolts.

Jenson doesn't sell them. I was hoping to add them to my cart along with my new pedals. The pedal body on my right XT is making a horrible racket. Unacceptable racket on an otherwise super stealthy bike.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
One thing though: My stem keeps twisting on my steer tube. It's a Thomson stem, and has puny 3mm bolts. I tried to snug them up trailside, but if I go any tighter, I'm going to strip the head. Super annoying.

Must be due to my ridiculous 800mm bars... Or I got grease on my steer tube in my haste to bolt the bike together.... Either way, I think I've close to ruined the existing stem bolts.
I've never had that issue on my bikes and I always apply the grease pretty liberally around the headset to try to stop water from sitting on the bearings. Though I've only owned stems with 5mm bolt heads...

Maybe you could try some of that Loctite stuff that takes up the slack? That's big surface area though, wouldn't want it to get stuck on there.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I've never had that issue on my bikes and I always apply the grease pretty liberally around the headset to try to stop water from sitting on the bearings. Though I've only owned stems with 5mm bolt heads...

Maybe you could try some of that Loctite stuff that takes up the slack? That's big surface area though, wouldn't want it to get stuck on there.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
ordered new upper link to replace fuxored one. bike should be good to go again by end of the week. scored a pack of hard-to-find wicked weed beer at store. all's cool here.

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Mouth is un-numbed finally. I never made it into work but no one seemed to miss me on this academic day. I did try to submit a clinical trial protocol on my own through the unbelievably convoluted system that exists and got it about half done before throwing my hands up.

Oh, I bought a 12" Specialized pedal bike for Mariko. It's a tiny plus bike, with 2.3"? tires? Pretty hilarious. She'll be able to ride easy trails with it next year, I bet.

The one at the bottom. Training wheels are on until she figures out this pedaling thing. She's already a pro at coasting on her strider bike.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I wasn't going to ride tonight, but this is the view from my couch. How can I let them sit there all sad like that??

Time to take a spin around the hood. I might have to stop and pickup moar beer.

Being single is hard I tell yah. HARD.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I wasn't going to ride tonight, but this is the view from my couch. How can I let them sit there all sad like that??

Time to take a spin around the hood. I might have to stop and pickup moar beer.

Being single is hard I tell yah. HARD.
Welp, that was a quick trip. Even stopped at the bank to deposit a cheque.

Almost got taken out by some chick in a Mistubishi Lancer, in the middle of a round-a-bout. BRO, I'm faster through there than you are!

Riding with a case of beer in one hand on a bike is way harder than I remember. Been a few years...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Rode Bent Creek for 3.5 hours. Bailed on the Spencer Gap idea but did climb all the way up to the Parkway. So now I now how long that part of my planed route takes. The last couple of miles of gravel or so up to the PW are steep.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Went for a super lazy shuttle ride yesterday. Seems 4 ghetto spacers in the shock have had the desired effect of preventing massive bottom out issues at 25% sag. Win.

Jenson doesn't sell them. I was hoping to add them to my cart along with my new pedals. The pedal body on my right XT is making a horrible racket. Unacceptable racket on an otherwise super stealthy bike.
@Da Peach you sure they're 3mm? My guess is they're 4mm x 0.7 pitch.....either way, if you can confirm the thread + length I can get some stainless screws to you....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Went to fastenal and bought 20 bolts for 2.50... Arrive Friday...

@Da Peach you sure they're 3mm? My guess is they're 4mm x 0.7 pitch.....either way, if you can confirm the thread + length I can get some stainless screws to you....
Yep. 3mm. I'm sure this is in the name of preventing ham fisted over torquing, but dumb, in my ham fisted opinion. Not that many carbon steer tubes around, are there???

I went to a local shop on my way home and they gave me some replacements with a 4mm drive. Which, are the same bolts which go into the faceplate of a Thomson stem. Silly...

Offer much appreciated. The MMike must be wearing off me...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@canadmos

short answer: c'mon down. that's why we live here! longer answer - you never know. it might be 40^ and spitting rain; it might be 65^ and sunny. but in general, if you're going to pisgah or wilsons or places like that they don't really "close" like more local trails tend to if it's been rainy.

if you bring some decent chilly weather gear and plan to stay inside rather than camp, i'd say it's worth it. if it's just too cold here, there's a few decent trail systems if you keep going down to SC or northern GA.

sound about right, @AngryMetalsmith , @SuboptimusPrime , @jackalope ?

if you do it, let me know and I'll try to take some time to show you some spots/routes. I should be mostly around other than the week of November 28.

DANG - almost forgot to mention that if it's crappy weather there's Oskar Blues, Sierra Nevada, and New Belgium - all giant breweries, as well as many others in Asheville (it's got the most craft breweries per capita in the country right now!) And there are plenty more in Charlotte (if the weather's good there's miles of rolling singletrack around the city too). :headbang:

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
^^^ I think that about sums it up. Honestly, I've done some of my favorite rides in December. As long as you're prepared for the weather, the "real" Pisgah trails are awesome pretty much no matter what. And when you're done and cold as hell, there are all the good local beer dispensaries to warm you back up. Also, Baileys runs all year so you can get your shuttle DH on as well...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Serious question, @AngryMetalsmith @jstuhlman I've mentioned NC to a few people in my group of two wheeled riding loons. They seem interested. Can you ride there in December?
I ride year round, some do not, even though there is nothing really stopping them. As long as ya'll are not fair weather riders (you obviously are not), then you'll be fine. The trails tend to be less crowded the colder it gets, which suits my grumpy ass just fine.

A lot of the trail systems in the flatter parts of our state obsessively close their bob sled runs if someone spills a water bottle at the trailhead. So some travel to Pisgah like @jstuhlman said will fix that. Pisgah, by the way is fucking huge, comprising of several sections in Western North Carolina.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@jstuhlman @AngryMetalsmith @SuboptimusPrime much appreciated, thank you for the information.

I want to try to make this happen, knowing my luck with people here though, it might end up being solo...

I don't really care about jumps or any bobsled/flow runs, just give me some good 'ole single track and I'll be a happy camper.

If I come it'll be between Christmas and New Years.

I ride year round, some do not, even though there is nothing really stopping them. As long as ya'll are not fair weather riders (you obviously are not), then you'll be fine. The trails tend to be less crowded the colder it gets, which suits my grumpy ass just fine.

A lot of the trail systems in the flatter parts of our state obsessively close their bob sled runs if someone spills a water bottle at the trailhead. So some travel to Pisgah like @jstuhlman said will fix that. Pisgah, by the way is fucking huge, comprising of several sections in Western North Carolina.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
@canadmos If its singletrack you desire you'll be well pleased.

I will be off work for that stretch and would love to get out there and meet some other monkeys. If this goes down and you get dates nailed, ping me! Hell maybe we can get a decent sized bag of assholes together for a mini-monkey holiday brodown.