Quantcast

Slalom Gate Starts

aj_gilbs

Chimp
Oct 8, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
Hey guys, so I've been racing indoor bmx at the local track and I'm feeling a lot faster out of the gate than I used to be. But because the track is an ABA cadence I am sling shotting a bit, nothing compared to some pros though. I know I may be lame for doing this but whatever, but I was wondering what about for dual slalom?
I'm going to be racing at the Bootleg race in February, and I was reading the slalom rules and it says the the bike can't be in motion before the start or something like that? Does that mean I can't roll back at all? This is the first time I've raced slalom and I just started bmx this winter, so I need to know because there's one more weekend of bmx before Bootleg so I'm wondering if I need to work on a different technique for my starts?

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
I don't think people will be paying close attention to your start unless you bunny hop over the gate before it drops. A good technique is to watch the gate drop 5 times and try to figure out what the gate drop timing is. this way 5 seconds before the gate drops you can pull back and lift up the front tire so as the gate is going down your tire is over it and your ahead of the opponent by doing that. MOst local mountain races have fixed timed gates. But from my knowledge Norba and world cup racing has random times.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I don't think people will be paying close attention to your start unless you bunny hop over the gate before it drops. A good technique is to watch the gate drop 5 times and try to figure out what the gate drop timing is. this way 5 seconds before the gate drops you can pull back and lift up the front tire so as the gate is going down your tire is over it and your ahead of the opponent by doing that. MOst local mountain races have fixed timed gates. But from my knowledge Norba and world cup racing has random times.
have you even raced slalum :busted: