Quantcast

slap some sense into me

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
no too long ago, i purchased jncarpenter's 5Spot frame. at the time, i was completely content with building it up. however, now that i've got a job at a shop, i am able to get stuff with the lovely bike shop discount. which means the gears in my head are cruisin'.

i can't decide if i want to build up the Spot, or sell it, and buy a new frame....and possibly have some money left over. if i buy a new frame, i've got my eye on something like an Enduro SX...4" in range that's super versatile and tough. i don't think 1" of travel will affect things very much, but i'm kind of liking the idea of a shorter seat tube.

i know, poor me, but what would you do?

J

JRB

I would buy an SX. I'd get the SX Trail though. I like travel.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
the Inbred said:
no too long ago, i purchased jncarpenter's 5Spot frame. at the time, i was completely contempt with building it up. however, now that i've got a job at a shop, i am able to get stuff with the lovely bike shop discount. which means the gears in my head are cruisin'.

i can't decide if i want to build up the Spot, or sell it, and buy a new frame. if i buy a new frame, i've got my eye on something like an Enduro SX...4" in range that's super versatile and tough. i don't think 1" of travel will affect things very much, but i'm kind of liking the idea of a shorter seat tube.

i know, poor me, but what would you do?
I'd keep the 5 spot.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
SX! SX! I had one and for its purpose it was the best bike I've tried. However I decided to race DH on it and after a little while I realized I was an idiot and just sacked up and got a Demo 8. Back to my point, though, an SX is schweet for general trail and jumping use. It owns on the fast and flowy and jumpy.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I like the 5 spot, but I have never ridden one. I don't see any major differences between it and others like the Azonic or older Stinky/Stab setups. I know the pivots are slightly different, but is there more to it than that?

I like the MKIII for a trail bike. I also like the looks of the SX. I'm guessing you could get a whole bike for what the Turner runs (or close). But the Turner is a little different and different can be cool too.

I have been no help, sorry :D

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i haven't ridden one, either. actually, i've only ridden 1 FS frame extensively. i have ridden some in a parking lot, though. Nomads feel badass in a parking lot.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
pixelninja said:
Geez, build up the 5 Spot and ride it. If you don't like it, sell it.

That there is the exact sense he needed slapped into him.

Inbred, ride the 5-spot for a bit. If you don't you will always wonder whether you should have at least tried it. Plus, you'll get some experience riding FS and will be in a better position to know if you want something else. Bikes can be flipped pretty easily these days, especially if you don't pay retail.

J

JRB

Apparently those of you that said to keep the spot don't swing very hard. I see it is in the buy and sell.

What are you getting Dustin???

I would post this thing on DORBA too. Lots of folks up there would buy it, I'm sure.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Inbred,
This question was made just for me.
I rode a 5-spot for two straight years, and I just built up and have been riding an 06 SX.
First off, the 5-spot is the perfect 5 inch trailbike. It is more XC oriented geometry wise, and will tear up some single track trails.
In the two years that I owned it, I never even touched a pivot.
How many bikes can you say that about?

Now onto the SX. Without a shadow of a doubt, this is the most fun bike I have ridden ever. When picking out my new trail rig, I wanted something with a super low BB to rail corners, and a slacker head angle than the 5-spot so I could run a shorter fork when I wanted to.
This bike is super low and just goofy stiff. The SX carries speed to well that it screwed my braking up. It was going so much faster through sections. I love it. I got the long and the cockpit is not that much different than the 5-spot except for the seat angle. I am just running a regular Thomson post with the seat pushed a little forward on the rails, and it puts me in a good climbing position. I am 5'10.
Let me know if you have any specific questions.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
loco said:
Apparently those of you that said to keep the spot don't swing very hard. I see it is in the buy and sell.

What are you getting Dustin???

I would post this thing on DORBA too. Lots of folks up there would buy it, I'm sure.
i'm gonna get a DOC and build that up for now.

even if i were looking at a full suspension, i believe i'd sell the 5 Spot. today i saw exactly what kind of prices i'd pay for what kind of frames, so now, the thought of sinking $1200 into a frame is senseless.

i love my job.