Quantcast

Slash 9, In My Possesion!

ltr450rider

Chimp
Jun 17, 2010
Goleta, CA
It finally arrived, My new Slash 9 is here. Got my first ride on it here in S.B. on Romero sunday morning. This bike rips, platforming is awsome on the climb, I thought it might be a little too slack but front wheel stayed planted over the steep stuff just fine.

I thought I would need a few rides to get comfortable on the descent, but I felt right at home from the first corner. HB seemed a little funky at setup but felt fine on the trail, I will be leaving them "un-cut" at 750mm. Tires hooked up great (after a good rain on friday, any tire was hooking up though).

The Reverb Stealth seatpost is probably my favorite component on the bike, super smooth actuation, doesnt slap your boys like other posts, and easy to set-up and bleed. The bike came with a bleed kit and fluid, which is actually 2.5 wt shock oil.

Chainguide is quite and the built in bash gaurd is really nice. It will be nice to run any double crankset, no more triple conversions will save some money when I put on some XT's.

31.4 lbs out of the box, tubeless (needed tape and valve stems which werent included). I am very happy with this bike, color looks even better in person. The only thing that this bike needs is I-9 wheelset and XT kit. Sram works good, just like derails that dont get ripped off through the rocks.

ltr450rider

Chimp
Jun 17, 2010
Goleta, CA
does the DRCV still suck like it has in the past? 31.4lbs is pretty heavy even w/ a tubeless setup. what size is it?
Yes, Everything sucks on this bike. 31 pounds is very heavy for a 19.5" all mountain bike. The DRCV shock feels like crap, it blows throught the travel and bottoms out really hard, oh and it fades within 3 minutes of fireroad descending.

Is that negative enough for you?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yes, Everything sucks on this bike. 31 pounds is very heavy for a 19.5" all mountain bike. The DRCV shock feels like crap, it blows throught the travel and bottoms out really hard, oh and it fades within 3 minutes of fireroad descending.

Is that negative enough for you?
so i see the drcv hasnt changed then. :rolleyes:
and yes, 31.5lbs is a bit heavy w/ tubeless. sorry to burst your bubble

31.5 lbs for an enduro/mini dh bike isn't too shabby in my opinion. this exact bike was pinning the trails at whistler...granted, alot of it was the rider but bear in mind it's basically a scaled down scratch. the transition covert, aluminum enduro, giant reignX are all in that 31-ish weight range. if the house branded bontrager parts were replaced with high-end components, it would be sub 31 easy...

if you want sub 30lbs...remedy is your huckleberry.

i always wonder why tubeless is the a hallmark of a "lightweight" build.
weight of a tubeless specific casing tire, plus/minus rim strip and valve stem, plus enough sealant to actually seal, and tubeless specific rims essentially is the same weight as a tubed setup. maybe 100grams lighter...TOPS.

i run regular ("xc") butyl tubes in my dh bike, as low as 25psi, and i rarely pinchflat.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Pretty awesome. Just had a look at one at the shop today. So nice. It was too big for me at 18.5" (pretty sure), but oh, how I would like one...

ltr450rider

Chimp
Jun 17, 2010
Goleta, CA
sick bike man. could you take a picture of the built in bash guard? not quite sure what the heck that looks like.
MRP makes it, it's surprisingly light. The best thing about it, no more triple with bashguard conversions. Also uses derailleur style pulleys instead of a roller, it's pretty much silent.

31.5 lbs for an enduro/mini dh bike isn't too shabby in my opinion. this exact bike was pinning the trails at whistler...granted, alot of it was the rider but bear in mind it's basically a scaled down scratch. the transition covert, aluminum enduro, giant reignX are all in that 31-ish weight range. if the house branded bontrager parts were replaced with high-end components, it would be sub 31 easy...

if you want sub 30lbs...remedy is your huckleberry.

i always wonder why tubeless is the a hallmark of a "lightweight" build.
weight of a tubeless specific casing tire, plus/minus rim strip and valve stem, plus enough sealant to actually seal, and tubeless specific rims essentially is the same weight as a tubed setup. maybe 100grams lighter...TOPS.

i run regular ("xc") butyl tubes in my dh bike, as low as 25psi, and i rarely pinchflat.
Bontrager has gotten a bad rap in the past (it's been well deserved), but I've been thouroughly impressed with them lately. The only Bont. parts are hb, stem, saddle, wheels/tires. The bars are pretty nice, they have a funky sweep when setting them set up, but comfortable when riding.

The wheels are surprisingly stiff even though they are 28 hole. But I will be getting a set of I-9 with Flow's when the budget allows. There really is not alot of wieght to drop on the bike, wheels would be the only noticeable difference. I-9's should drop it below 31 for sure.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Pay no attention to Mr Negative here... 30ish pounds is a very respectable all mountain bike. Throw some different tires on that thing and I bet you can get it down to 30.
if i hadnt ridden that junk DRCV then youd be right, but unless Trek did something magic that GF couldnt do, then im sure my point is still pertinent.
and for $5800 bike running tubeless w/ top of the line parts on it, it should be closer to 30lbs.

dezhamer16

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
your name should be ih8everything instead of ih8rice... and trek suspension designs work better than fisher's

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

and it has all those fancy acronyms just like trek does...and is the same company.
and i dont hate everything. i hate companies trying to force stupid tech to make up for their suspension designs. cough Spesh Brain cough

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
if i hadnt ridden that junk DRCV then youd be right, but unless Trek did something magic that GF couldnt do, then im sure my point is still pertinent.
and for $5800 bike running tubeless w/ top of the line parts on it, it should be closer to 30lbs.
So I'd be right about 31 lbs being a respectable weight if Treks suspension platform were better?

BTW I've ridden this platform @ the Trek Demo day that they host at our trails every year... it was perfectly fine... it didn't knock my socks off, but I couldn't complain either.

I'll agree that $6k for this bike is damn steep. My custom ti bike is costing far less.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002

and it has all those fancy acronyms just like trek does...and is the same company.
and i dont hate everything. i hate companies trying to force stupid tech to make up for their suspension designs. cough Spesh Brain cough
Spesh's brain is fantastic. What other design can be hammered up a steep climb in a large gear, out of the saddle, and not actuate the shock at all?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
So I'd be right about 31 lbs being a respectable weight if Treks suspension platform were better?
less then 31lbs would be moar better for a top of the line aluminum bike

Spesh's brain is fantastic. What other design can be hammered up a steep climb in a large gear, out of the saddle, and not actuate the shock at all?
Foes' Curnutt does position damping better (and holds up better) IMO just not the the extreme level that the Brain goes to.

Hey Rice, still waiting on your answer for what bike you think I should have bought.
if Trek could design that bike without the need for that shock and make the bike lighter for that price, then that bike is fine. then again, trek is fantastic at marketing

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Foes' Curnutt does position damping better (and holds up better) IMO just not the the extreme level that the Brain goes to.
My point was the Brain actually does it's job and isn't an example of useless tech? I found it useful in making my epic an extremely efficient climber, and it was tunable enough that I was able to get the bike to also handle technical terrain quite well.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack and turn this into a thread about my old bike. So what should OP have bought instead of the Trek that would have been about the same price?

Last edited:

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
less then 31lbs would be moar better for a top of the line aluminum bike

if Trek could design that bike without the need for that shock and make the bike lighter for that price, then that bike is fine. then again, trek is fantastic at marketing

Santa Cruz Blur

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
How do you like the 19.5" size wise? How tall/inseam are you? It seems the slash is sized ever so slightly smaller than the remedy's, which fits this bikes purpose, and I am curious how you like it.

ltr450rider

Chimp
Jun 17, 2010
Goleta, CA
I am about 6'1 with a 32" inseam. Standover is good. The cockpit is a little tight for climbing. It came with a 70 stem, I put on a 90 and it's perfect.

madzappa

Chimp
May 20, 2009
Deep Cove
I also just put together a Slash. Frankly I don't give a hoot about branding, marketing, image etc. I've owned several boutique bikes, and this one shreds DH equal if not better than any of them. 29.8lbs no Reverb.