Quantcast

Slayer announced a “final” tour...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i remember reading an interview with their singer sometime last year about how hard touring has gotten with family, he was talking about how he'd fly home to be with his kids in between dates.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Probably a way to inflate ticket prices, "last chance".

Tickets in Seattle for a band I saw in Virginia for $35 cost $130 to $11,000 here/now.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
First saw them in '85, playing with Exodus and Venom on Easter Sunday at the Aragon. I've probably seen them a couple dozen times since then.
Slayer has sold like 20M records, plus DVDs, plus merchandise, plus decades of touring .... they've made some loot over the years.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
i suspect most of these 80's bands will be doing that soon. Alot changes in 30+ years. Most of the younger generations listen to shitty hip hop/rap. Lyrics don't even anything anymore music so long as it has a good beat to dance to in the clubs while on X.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i suspect most of these 80's bands will be doing that soon. Alot changes in 30+ years. Most of the younger generations listen to shitty hip hop/rap. Lyrics don't even anything anymore music so long as it has a good beat to dance to in the clubs while on X.
Metal is bigger now than it has been in a long time. Crossover is having a huge revival too.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
dammit young ken...slayer ain’t no “80s band”...motley crue, def leppard, and poison are “80s bands”...

lombardo’s a tough call...he’s been in and out of the band so damn much he might be back in by the time they’re touring this year...

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Metal is bigger now than it has been in a long time. Crossover is having a huge revival too.
I dont disagree, metal is here to stay. But the older bands are getting, well, old. Not musically, but physically. Some are dying off, some cant do what they used to. The next generation is taking over.

dammit young ken...slayer ain’t no “80s band”
but they formed in 81 and dropped reign in blood in 86. Slayer, Metallica and megadeth basically started thrash metal in the 80s.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I dont disagree, metal is here to stay. But the older bands are getting, well, old. Not musically, but physically. Some are dying off, some cant do what they used to. The next generation is taking over.
Go look up nuclear blast records and relapse records. They are putting out some of the best metal today. Take particular note of municipal waste, iron Reagan, and toxic holocaust.

but they formed in 81 and dropped reign in blood in 86. Slayer, Metallica and megadeth basically started thrash metal in the 80s.
And of those 3 only one is still relevant.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Go look up nuclear blast records and relapse records. They are putting out some of the best metal today. Take particular note of municipal waste, iron Reagan, and toxic holocaust.

And of those 3 only one is still relevant.
because thrash is fuckin' timeless
my point was, “80s bands” signifies crappy hair bamds whose music was a flash in the pan and had no lasting influence...i’d say slayer, megadeth, and metallica all transcend that label...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm not sure if I agree, but the US is also not the world and there is a lot of great metal out there.

The question though, is "Who will carry the torch for the likes of Iron Maiden?". 5 finger death punch? Volbeat? (played at our state fair last year), the dumb shit they play on the radio? LOL. There is nothing at this time. I was thinking back how cool it would have been if grew up in Seattle and was about 5 years older at the time so I could have gone to all the concerts as the grunge movement picked up. At least there you had a bunch of bands that put out good sounds for many years, with following similar, look at Pearl Jam, king of the grunge. Not saying they are the best band or anything, but there is at least someone to carry the torch there. Metal/Heavy Metal doesn't really have that IMO. Metallica's St. Anger was like listening to cats being tortured while dragging fingernails on chalk. Still, there's a lot of good metal out there, you have to just know where to look. First 2 Iced Earth albums have amazing rhythm and the last two are pretty decent starting with Dystopia.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
my point was, “80s bands” signifies crappy hair bamds whose music was a flash in the pan and had no lasting influence...i’d say slayer, megadeth, and metallica all transcend that label...
There's a distinct difference from the pop hair-bands like Europe and Poison, to early Def Leppard (first two albums) and Motley Crue. After the original guitarist went away from Def Leppard, they turned to suck. This is why "Let it Go" and "Another Hit and Run" sound good and "Pour Some Sugar on Me" is a ridiculous pop-song that no-one who actually likes music likes. To be certain, there were plenty of those 80s hair bands, some were successful, many were not, but there was definitely a dividing line between the no-talent ass-clowns and what was metal. "Too Young to Fall in Love" is as heavy riff as you are going to find anywhere. They just happened to look like Cosmo-girls while doing it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
this. right here.

solid gold
"Tornado of Souls" is the ultimate IMO. It is everything I love about thrash. 5 Magics, Take No Prisoners and Holy Wars are close.

Pretty much why I went to see them (Dave) back in September.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I will possibly go to a Metallica concert in spring. They really sound great in their live videos at the moment.
Seems like Lars bought him a metronome.:D

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Saw them 1st in fall of 85 on the Hell Awaits tour with Megadeth at Shitty Garbage (AKA City Gardens in Trenton, NJ) then later on, maybe mid 2000's? Was blown away at 1st sight, later show was meh.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My problem with Slayer was they played so loud on stage that most of their shows were painfully loud when played through a House PA. They were to cheap to supply a proper Pa and they often sounded like shit.