Quantcast

SLC Cat 1 racer killed at Interbike

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
From what I understand, he was crossing the street and a taxi ran a red light and hit him. He was alive, but unconscious at the scene and died early the next morning.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Oh man, thats terrible. The Vegas strip is kinda sketchy to cross in the day time, sucks.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
American rider Allan Butler was struck and killed by a taxi cab that had run a red light as he crossed "The Strip" in Las Vegas at approximately 3am on Thursday night. Allan was unconscious at the scene, but still alive, and after transport to the hospital, was pronounced dead early Friday morning. He had been attending Interbike this year, and was planning on returning home upon the conclusion of the event.

Allan is survived by his wife Jenny, his daughter Odessa, his mother Tammy, and his father Kevin. He was a member of Utah's Logan Race Club's Healthy Choice-Goble Knee Clinic Cycling team. He had raced with the LRC since the 2002 season. Allan had traveled to Europe, including racing with Bernard Moerman, during the early days of the American Bicycling Center. Allan's local and regional palmares included multiple stage race wins, and most recently, he had secured the Utah Cycling Association's year long overall title as the best Category 1-2 rider. Additionally he had numerous one day victories throughout the intermountain west and was regarded by everyone as the consummate gentleman on the bike.

Funeral arrangements are currently underway. Additionally, a charity ride is being planned to benefit Allan's wife and daughter. Further information will follow as it becomes available.

That came directly from cycling news.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Actually, they say the cab didn't run a red light, that in fact, he was jaywalking...from cyclingnews:

The cab driver involved in the recent death of Utah cyclist Allan Butler, who was killed while crossing the Strip in Las Vegas last Friday morning, will not face any charges, according to an article in the Las Vegas Sun. Although it was initially reported that the cab driven by Stefan Crosby had run a red light, the Sun wrote that the cab had a green light and was going through an intersection at Buccaneer Lane when it encountered Butler and two others, who were jaywalking across Las Vegas Boulevard. Two walked behind the cab, but Butler walked in front of it and hit the cab's windscreen, before rolling off it. He was taken to Sunrise Hospital and died shortly after arrival, said the police.

Detective Doug Nutton, of Metro's fatal detail, was quoted by the Sun as saying that the Crosby was not at fault and would not face any charges or citations. Neither Crosby nor his passenger were hurt in the accident.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Heidi said:
Actually, they say the cab didn't run a red light, that in fact, he was jaywalking...from cyclingnews:

The cab driver involved in the recent death of Utah cyclist Allan Butler, who was killed while crossing the Strip in Las Vegas last Friday morning, will not face any charges, according to an article in the Las Vegas Sun. Although it was initially reported that the cab driven by Stefan Crosby had run a red light, the Sun wrote that the cab had a green light and was going through an intersection at Buccaneer Lane when it encountered Butler and two others, who were jaywalking across Las Vegas Boulevard. Two walked behind the cab, but Butler walked in front of it and hit the cab's windscreen, before rolling off it. He was taken to Sunrise Hospital and died shortly after arrival, said the police.

Detective Doug Nutton, of Metro's fatal detail, was quoted by the Sun as saying that the Crosby was not at fault and would not face any charges or citations. Neither Crosby nor his passenger were hurt in the accident.
What a drag for all involved - the cyclist, his family, and the cabbie. :(

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Potroast88 said:
From what I understand, he was crossing the street and a taxi ran a red light and hit him. He was alive, but unconscious at the scene and died early the next morning.
that sounds like a CSI episode.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
cabbies in Vegas, hell, ANY city ('cept here) drive like f'n lunatics on meth.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
We actually went out of our way to cross on those ped bridges. Of course, I had two liddle kids with me, so I wasn't going to take any chances. :eek:

Same here, but my reason was because I was usually really drunk.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I saw the story about this on the news while in Vegas. Crazy that the victim was such an accomplished cyclist, for whatever reason I assumed it was "just another drunk tourist". I lost a good friend to the same exact situation down in Cancun ealrier this year. BE CAREFUL WHEN CROSSING THE ROAD PEOPLE! :(

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
punkassean said:
I saw the story about this on the news while in Vegas. Crazy that the victim was such an accomplished cyclist, for whatever reason I assumed it was "just another drunk tourist". I lost a good friend to the same exact situation down in Cancun ealrier this year. BE CAREFUL WHEN CROSSING THE ROAD PEOPLE! :(

And be especially careful of crosswalks... something like 90% of auto/pedestrian accidents happen there.

A bunch of painted lines on the road will not deflect a 2 ton automobile!!!