Quantcast

Sleazy Bike Thieves

Lady Litton

Chimp
Oct 25, 2001
Bend
Just thought I'd warn you all about some of the bike stealing that went on this weekend at the Big Bear Nationals. We can all be too trusting when we think we're surrounded by fellow bikers.

Story #1 - My friend was hanging out in the main grassy area by the main lift, watching XC. He laid his bike down behind him and watched the race. Not long after, he turned around and his bike was gone! I feel so bad for him. It was a brand new Kona Stab - Blue/Red combo. He never found it and didn't get to race the bike in the DH Mania. Total Bummer.

Story #2 - My friend was waiting outside the bathroom for me. A lady parked her bike and went in. Right after, a guy walked up to her bike, picked it up and looked at it carefully, then looked around. My friend made direct eye contact and he put it down and walked away. Very shady!

Story #3 - While watching DH Mania, a buddy told me that at least 8 bikes had been stolen out of the pits. Hot looking girls would stroll in and ask to try a bike out. They'd jump on them and ride away. GONE! Watch out guys!

You may have heard these things before, but it doesn't hurt to hear it again. I didn't let my bike out of my site after hearing this stuff!!

If anyone has any advice to track down stolen bikes. Please post it. I'm sure he'll be checking Ebay and MTBR etc.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Story #1 is my friend Mike. That totally sucks. He just got that bike and now its gone. He did try to race DH mania on another bike but crashed out during qualifying, easy to do when you aren't on your bike.

There is nothing lower than a bike theif, kill on sight:angry:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Story #1- Tell your friend to never visit Amsterdam.

Story #2- Your friend should have pointed out the prospective thief to the bike's owner once she left the head.

Story#3- Guys, it's just like that old 70's T-shirt; ya gotta tell the hotties "Ass, gas or grass, but nobody rides for free" and hope they don't turn around and fart in your general direction.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
people think i'm a bit crazy and paranoid when I refuse to put my bike down or leave it unattended. but i've never had one stolen.

I hate thieves

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by pnj
people think i'm a bit crazy and paranoid when I refuse to put my bike down or leave it unattended. but i've never had one stolen.

I hate thieves
:stupid:

*runs off to knock on wood*