Quantcast

Sleeping bags - hiking monkeys help

J

JRB

I am backpacking one night in Big Bend this Christmas and need to buy a bag. I want one on the cheap. I know there are far better options, but this will only be used a few times a year at most. I would prefer to spend extra money on a road frame. Would either of these bags work, and would it be worth $35 to save a little less than a pound??? The size seems better on the more expensive bag too.

More expensive bag

Less expensive bag

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
loco said:
I am backpacking one night in Big Bend this Christmas and need to buy a bag. I want one on the cheap. I know there are far better options, but this will only be used a few times a year at most. I would prefer to spend extra money on a road frame. Would either of these bags work, and would it be worth $35 to save a little less than a pound??? The size seems better on the more expensive bag too.
The cheaper bag will very likely be equally as warm, just a little more bulky (due to the fact they are both the same mfr). Only you can answer the "would it be worth" question........

Check here, too: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.79956/dept_id.L2~319/qx/product.htm

-S.S.-

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Call em up and ask for their opinions - that's what I did - well I talked to a sales guy - when I got my EMS bag - he steered me towards the best bang for the buck and I'm really happy with what I got.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
That's a tough call man. I'm big into sleeping bags and have needed a new one for a long time now. You tend to get what you pay for though. If it's not going to be super cold (yeah right) you can get away with just wearing all your clothes when you hit the sack. But, if space is an issue, or weight (both are normally the case unless it's really a chill deal) you are better off with the nicer, warmer, smaller and lighter bags that you can continue to use for many, many years. The technology really hasn't changed much in 10 years or so no matter what kind of new fabrics they tout.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Cheaper bags use cheaper materials. They use less quilting which means the fill can develope holes or thin spots which means you'll have cold spots. They aren't as durable meaning areas around zippers and your feet will wear faster. Plus when they get wet they are more susceptable to rot and take forever to dry. The zippers aren't as sturdy either and can jam and tear the bag cover. Buy a quality bag and it will last forever. I have had the same NF Cats Meow bag for 12 years and it seems like new. My brothers cheapo bag lasted for 3 years. Oh yeah get a bag you can clean. Some bags are dry clean only and it can be tough to find a dry cleaner to clean your bag. Get one that fits too. To many lightweight bags seem small and uncomfortable (mummy bags). If you have to wear extra clothes to stay warm you defeat the weight savings you get with a lightweight bag. Below $100 you are buying a disposable bag meaning you will throw it away and buy a good one the next time. Just my .02.....jdcamb.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
jdcamb said:
Cheaper bags use cheaper materials. They use less quilting which means the fill can develope holes or thin spots which means you'll have cold spots. They aren't as durable meaning areas around zippers and your feet will wear faster. Plus when they get wet they are more susceptable to rot and take forever to dry. The zippers aren't as sturdy either and can jam and tear the bag cover. Buy a quality bag and it will last forever. I have had the same NF Cats Meow bag for 12 years and it seems like new. My brothers cheapo bag lasted for 3 years. Oh yeah get a bag you can clean. Some bags are dry clean only and it can be tough to find a dry cleaner to clean your bag. Get one that fits too. To many lightweight bags seem small and uncomfortable (mummy bags). If you have to wear extra clothes to stay warm you defeat the weight savings you get with a lightweight bag. Below $100 you are buying a disposable bag meaning you will throw it away and buy a good one the next time. Just my .02.....jdcamb.
EXCELLENT info. That's what I wanted to say but I'm still asleep. See? 12 YEARS! If you are looking for a deal, buy last seasons or older bags through Campmor or something. Just be sure you've done your research.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
the more expensive bag has a better insulation material that will probably keep loft better and reduce the matting and clumping that is caused by oils in your skin.the loft is important because that is waht keeps you warm. when the insulation begins to clump it looses its insulating properties due to the lack of air between fibers.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
it also comes with a compressio sack instead of a regular stuff sack which is nice. the mor eexpensive back will also probably hold up to more washings (use front load style washer only) making your bag last longer. i'vee been using the same bag for about 11 years now because i made the right decision to spend a few more bucks for a lot more quality. Also remember that one pou8nd on your back equals 3 on your feet.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Loco, do you have a place to store the bag when not in use? It's best to keep bags uncompressed while in storage, ti will help prolong the fill life. Most nicer bags come with a small stuff-sack and a larger one. Use the larger one for storage and the small one for when you are on a trip.

I have a Sierra Designs that I am happy with but my biggest complaint with bags in general is that I get clammy up against the inner material. I would love to get one of these when I get a new bag!

North Face Cat's Meow

It has a thin polar fleece (or similar) lining throughout the inside for a super cozy feel. It can also be zipped to another bag for when you have company. ;)

I also use a Thermarest, I have the second to thickest model and it's damn soft and comfy.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I personally would opt for getting a better bag also, like others have said campmor has some really good deals on closeouts that are previous years surplus. That extra pound and the extra 2 or 3 inches you are saving doesnt sound like a lot but every bit you can save makes a big difference. In my opinion some more money is well spent, especially when it comes to being on the trail if your pack is too heavy or if you are cold your trip wont be nearly as fun so to me its well worth it, but it is hard to say depending on how much camping and hiking you are going to be doing and how serious you are and the difficulty and length of trips and trails you choose. Hope some of that helps, happy camping.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
All good info from these folks. However, if you're going to be just using it a few times a year, a cheap (<$100) bag will work perfectly well. The STP link I sent you had a number of bags from reputable manufacturers under that price point.

And one more data point - if you want a quality bag that will last a *really* long time, spring for a down bag. Synthentic fills will not last as long as a down filling.

-S.S.-

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
down bags get heavy if wet take forever to dry and do not insulate when wet either.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
biggins said:
down bags get heavy if wet take forever to dry and do not insulate when wet either.
Yes. You need to be fairly careful with a down bag. In a really wet environment they would likely be problematic.

Of course, it's not that difficult to keep a down bag dry, presuming your tent doesn't leak. :D

-S.S.-

J

JRB

I took Wumpus' Cat's Meow bag and it worked very well(thanks Chris). I may buy the lighter Slumberjack bag in a month or two. I had fun packing, so I am sure I will do more, and more often.

ell bee

Chimp
Jun 1, 2003
Olean, NY
spincrazy said:
That's a tough call man. I'm big into sleeping bags and have needed a new one for a long time now. You tend to get what you pay for though. If it's not going to be super cold (yeah right) you can get away with just wearing all your clothes when you hit the sack. But, if space is an issue, or weight (both are normally the case unless it's really a chill deal) you are better off with the nicer, warmer, smaller and lighter bags that you can continue to use for many, many years. The technology really hasn't changed much in 10 years or so no matter what kind of new fabrics they tout.
Dude, don't be silly. Wearing all your clothes is the worst thing you can do. The less you wear the warmer you'll be! I know it sounds like it can't be true, but it is. I know from personal experience. It has to do with the heat your body creates and warms the air around you in the sleeping bag.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
mummy bad is the warmest.

i have a cats meow, took it out in 2 weeks of rain and at the end the tent was wrecked and the middle of my bag was still some what dry, and very warm

always get a 10 degree warmer bag than you think you will need ;)

edit: yes, dont wear your clothes youll freeze and smell in the morning even worse. and be more misserable than the day before.

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
I've also had my cat's meow for 12 years, and although it has lost some of it's loft it still insulates quite well. I'm very sold on my mtn. hardware synthetic bag.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
a butt load of riders bought the Cat's Meow for this summer. i bought a Sierra Designs Wild Bill, and i liked it a lot. i got it on sale at REI about week before we left. you guys that are saying it's warmer to sleep without clothes on....with my limited camping experience, i'm gonna disagree, somewhat. the most vivid example: we camped at Bodega Bay this summer, and other than the kids puking all night, the rest of us were in layers inside our bags. personally, i wore socks, cycling shorts, knee warmers, pants, jerseys, arm warmers, cycling jacket, and a beanie. i was so cold. that was one of the days where we had little food, so maybe that's why. 80miles + 20mph head/crosswinds riding on a granola bar for breakfast, 2 PB&Js for lunch, a serving of pasta for dinner, and watered down Gatorade. ugh...bad day.

but then again, in the Yukon, it got around freezing one night, and i slept in shorts, t-shirt, arm warmers, and beanie. sucked crawling out of the sleeping bag in the morning, but i was fairly warm inside my bag. oh man, one night i slept in the back of my truck, and feel asleep with my feet hanging off the end of my sleeping pad. whoo....coooold feet in the morning.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
biggins said:
Of course a nice down bag will be at least mildly water proof. Plus if you pack correctly(ie. wrap the bag in a garbage bag) you won't ever get it wet. Just make sure to let it air out after using it.

I HIGHLY suggest spending more than 80 bucks on a sleeping bag. It's going to be a cheap feeling and poorly made bag. Spend a bit more, you'll get a warmer bag, better zipper, and propper fill. I've had my Kelty bag for 8 years and it did me fine in both Tasmania and high altitude New Zealand, two very cold places. I haven't taken care of the thing either, it is on it's last legs, but for 180 bucks I couldn't ask for anything better.

I suggest buying a bag at an actual shop. It's like buying a bike, you need one the fits and feels right. The cheaper one, if you felt it would feel unreliable, thin and cheap, like a huffy. Probably the more expensive as well. Go into a shop and talk with someone who hikes. You'll get a lighter, better bag and one that definitely fits and lasts. You'll also recieve proper instruction on caring for the bag. Be sure to store it outside of the bag. And make sure you get a compression sack for it.

The Ito

I spent a couple weeks in Alaska doing winter training, and I can tell you forsure that wearing your clothes to bed is going to bebad when you get out of the bag in the morning. Like Mr Inbred said, shorts a Tshirt and a beenie cap is about what you need to sleep in a bag. The biggest thing you need is a pad that'll provide some insulation from the ground. I have the Therm-a-rest pad and I love it. But the sack I "had" before it was burned in a fire was the slumbersack Aurora. $99.99 on bassproshop.com It worked well for me in the winters

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Depends on how cold it is, but I would agree that I dont wear too much to bed when winter camping. I usually wear long underwear, some sort of longsleeve synthetic shirt, a hat, gloves, and double up my socks. Also It can be important to change clothes if you have been wearing cotton. If you are wearing cotton it will pick up all kinds of moisture during the day and if you wear those same clothes to bed it can be pretty cold. I definately go for the synthetic like old jerseys or something similar to under armor because it is very light, and dries very easily as well as keeping you warm.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
oh yeah, another thing...i don't know how well down bags trap smell compared to synthetic bags, but those of us in Casa Del Asshole had some naaaasty smelling synthetic bags. but i don't really think it's too common for people to wear the same riding clothes 3 or 4 days in a row without showering.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
ell bee said:
Dude, don't be silly. Wearing all your clothes is the worst thing you can do. The less you wear the warmer you'll be! I know it sounds like it can't be true, but it is. I know from personal experience. It has to do with the heat your body creates and warms the air around you in the sleeping bag.
This is not strictly true. If you have warm, dry clothes that haven't been worn, changing into those before you get in your bag will increase warmth significantly. If you just hop into your bag in your sweaty clothes you've had on all day you're going to be bummed out.

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
ito said:
<snip>
I HIGHLY suggest spending more than 80 bucks on a sleeping bag. It's going to be a cheap feeling and poorly made bag. Spend a bit more, you'll get a warmer bag, better zipper, and propper fill.
This is not true in today's day and age of internet shopping. You can get *very* good quality bags for <$100. They won't be 600-fill down bags rated to -20F, but then again this discussion wasn't about those bags.

Observe the offerings from Kelty and TNF here:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/dept_id.L2~319/qx/prod_list_display.htm

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
GumbaFish said:
<snip> Also It can be important to change clothes if you have been wearing cotton. If you are wearing cotton it will pick up all kinds of moisture during the day and if you wear those same clothes to bed it can be pretty cold. I definately go for the synthetic like old jerseys or something similar to under armor because it is very light, and dries very easily as well as keeping you warm.
The best advice if you're actually going winter camping is to take nothing that is made out of cotton. Period. Don't wear cotton anything.

-S.S.-

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
SkaredShtles said:
This is not true in today's day and age of internet shopping. You can get *very* good quality bags for <$100. They won't be 600-fill down bags rated to -20F, but then again this discussion wasn't about those bags.

Observe the offerings from Kelty and TNF here:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/dept_id.L2~319/qx/prod_list_display.htm

-S.S.-
Interesting. I guess it's been a while since I've shopped for a sleeping bag(though I looked at them in Australia and for under 200 you got a kiddie bag). Thanks for the info.

And ya, no cotton while out in the wilderness, it gets nasty and in bad weather potentially deadly.

The Iti