Quantcast

>~<sleepy monday gmt>~<

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
New cranks ordered along with an oval ring because I'm OG DDS.
Also have a 'zero loss' SKS shock pump inbound and I'm curious to see a) if it works as advertised b) what my actual fork/shock psi is.
This thread also reminded me to line up a colonoscopy and to make another coffee.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Bought new tires for Wifey's car on Saturday. I swapped off her winters and put on the all-seasons that will need to be replaced this year. I went by Discount Tire to have them reset the TPMS sensors and on a whim asked what the replacement cost for a set of Conti Extreme Contact DWS would cost.

His initial quote was ~$765 for the set. I pulled up TireRack and turns out they are on blowout because a new model has been released to replace them. They matched the price down $30 per tire ($120), so that brought the cost down to ~$645. After the lug nut incident from last winter, the manager said that I would get a 10% discount on my next set of replacements, so another ~$60 -> $585. Conti has a $70 rebate promotion currently and if you use Discount's financing (to be paid in full of course) you get another $50 rebate.

All said, I got a new set of tires, mounted out the door for $460.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Bought new tires for Wifey's car on Saturday. I swapped off her winters and put on the all-seasons that will need to be replaced this year. I went by Discount Tire to have them reset the TPMS sensors and on a whim asked what the replacement cost for a set of Conti Extreme Contact DWS would cost.

His initial quote was ~$765 for the set. I pulled up TireRack and turns out they are on blowout because a new model has been released to replace them. They matched the price down $30 per tire ($120), so that brought the cost down to ~$645. After the lug nut incident from last winter, the manager said that I would get a 10% discount on my next set of replacements, so another ~$60 -> $585. Conti has a $70 rebate promotion currently and if you use Discount's financing (to be paid in full of course) you get another $50 rebate.

All said, I got a new set of tires, mounted out the door for $460.
how's your VANOS doing?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
need a new headset bearing. Double the price in my lbs. cannot justify... I can get a new pair of gloves to replace the one I tore on the weekend with the difference...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
jbp: In your many and varied careers did you ever work with airline scheduling?

I'm laying the mental groundwork for a model that will hopefully predict no-shows to radiology appointments, and while there's some stuff out there about medical clinic, OR, and even radiology scheduling the major bulk of work on airlines is on overbooking.

While overbooking is a nice concept for us we're a few years away as a specialty from adopting that ruthless "our efficiency is more important than your convenience" attitude…

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Nope. I'd guess that they collect a lot of statistical data and use it to predict no-shows. The use they make of that data is abusive to air travelers, but oh, yeah, airlines.
IIRC they go down to data for individual flights on each individual day of the year, and so does their ticket pricing.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Stoney's posts today spurred me to look into tires. So it looks like my current all season tires are done. I'm at work right now and not sure what size/brand they are, but they are the OEMs that came on my 2013 Mazda CX-5 (base model manual). I have winter tires, so I'm looking for a three-season tire to run when it's not winter. I've been trying to read up on the difference between summer and all-season tires, and from what I gather, summer-tires are more sport-oriented, and focused on grip and water-clearing.

My priorities are long-lasting, quiet and fuel-efficient. I think I should be looking at all-seasons then, but I'm 100% certain... you guys have any word of advice for me?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jbp: In your many and varied careers did you ever work with airline scheduling?

I'm laying the mental groundwork for a model that will hopefully predict no-shows to radiology appointments, and while there's some stuff out there about medical clinic, OR, and even radiology scheduling the major bulk of work on airlines is on overbooking.

While overbooking is a nice concept for us we're a few years away as a specialty from adopting that ruthless "our efficiency is more important than your convenience" attitude…
This may have changed but, my father worked in the industry and from what he told me the FAA set limits. I would assume all airlines just push the limits of said regulations. They generally want to run at maximum capacity and surely don't want to spend their own money studying their own performance.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
This may have changed but, my father worked in the industry and from what he told me the FAA set limits. I would assume all airlines just push the limits of said regulations.
Interesting. I do recall something about that from a Lifehacker post. Flip side was that if one gets bumped involuntarily then there are similarly mandated compensation regimes that are much nicer than the few hundred voucher offers for volunteers. (4x ticket cost penalty + ticket refunded if arrival at endpoint more than 2h delayed?)

My priorities are long-lasting, quiet and fuel-efficient. I think I should be looking at all-seasons then, but I'm 100% certain... you guys have any word of advice for me?
Yes, all seasons. Summers are for sports cars and they probably don't even exist in your CUV's size anyway. They're also not very good at all in the corner seasons/below 45 degrees or so.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
what did you get? another set of carbon sram??
Yes, turned out the it was just the alu crank bolt that stripped, not the steel spindle.
I'm sure I can warranty the LH arm but am doubtful they'll give me a full set.
Either way, it will be good to have an extra crankset as my dental schoolmates all ride XO (and nomads) so I'll be spare crank guy.
We destroy an impressive amount of parts on our group weekends so we try and ride the same stuff to limit spares needed.
Up until this mishap, the cranks have been trouble-free and solid.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Stoney's posts today spurred me to look into tires. So it looks like my current all season tires are done. I'm at work right now and not sure what size/brand they are, but they are the OEMs that came on my 2013 Mazda CX-5 (base model manual). I have winter tires, so I'm looking for a three-season tire to run when it's not winter. I've been trying to read up on the difference between summer and all-season tires, and from what I gather, summer-tires are more sport-oriented, and focused on grip and water-clearing.

I tend to err on the fact that tires are the ONLY thing that attach your car to the road, so it's somewhere that I am willing to put in a bit of extra money. I can get a 50k tire, but if the grip and braking is crap compared to the 35k tire I can get that's only $100 more OTD, then I'm getting it.

The CX-5 is on par with the Forester and I went with the Conti Exteme Contact DWS, at they are a great 3-season tire. I would't get real summers, as they don't have warranty, wear fast, and are expensive.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I have michelin premiear AS on my Volvo. Very quiet, all season tire, traction is optimized for "tricky" conditions. Tires have extensive siping that makes them very controllable when limits are pushed/exceeded. In other words a good tire that excels at noise levels and safety. I can't comment on long-lasting as my weight to contact patch is a fraction of what a modern car would have.

If that is not what you are looking for I highly recommend going with a tire that has a lot of reviews on Tire Rack that support what you are looking for. I have always gotten exactly what I was expecting going that route.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
a friend told me something ao fucking disgusting....she knows someone who puts mayo in their spaghetti sauce....

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
put parents on plane back to maine. win.

attended board meeting. was appropriately bored.

looking into CO flights for early june for work. will try to squeeze in a day to ride with Denver monkeys on Sat the 11th.

trying to hold my calendar open for fuckit friday.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Had a guy come over and test drive the 2-door volvo. I had warned him it was a bit ugly, he seemed a little put-off when he first saw it. Then the test drive came. I kept yelling at him to thrash it, get the revs above 6500. Once he did he started giggling. I then took the wheel and gave it the beans through a few slow hairpin corners, Wheelspin and countersteering generated more giggling. He wants it, hopefully he has the funds.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

looking into CO flights for early june for work. will try to squeeze in a day to ride with Denver monkeys on Sat the 11th.

Early rides work best for me.

So if I come down your way I'm going to bury Charlie than head out of state to ride because weird politics. Douthat?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
So if I come down your way I'm going to bury Charlie than head out of state to ride because weird politics. Douthat?
i you really have to get out of the state, that's a good option as far as being not too out of the way and a well-marked trail system. it's been a good 15 years though since i've been there. @Westy is more up on the VA scene than me. good stuff around roanoke too.

if timing works i can show you fun things not in the brevard area of pisgah, but more towards morganton.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
60F outside and no rain (yet). Hero dirt. Escaped the slave house early and rode while the Sun was still out. Then finally filed fooking taxes. Now rewarding myself with Fuller's ESB, that shit is the shit - but I miss the London pubs.

Btw. the DHF 2.5WT is da shit even on unrideabru wide crabon rims.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Turns out I suck at tire changing, Ardent went on super fast but it took me 30 minutes to seat it. High roller went on fast and seated pretty quickly, all was well until I flipped the bike into a face palm because I put the tire on backwards despite the rolling direction being very obvious in addition to the little arrow. The next time around I couldn't get the tire over the rim after trying for 20 minutes. I said fuck it and went to ride my hardtail but found the tire I installed yesterday was pretty flat due to blown stem. No problem since I use tubes on those rims, switched out that tube in about 5 minutes and hit the trail at 5PM.

The trail was short but sweet, singletrack down with a spinnable double track option back up, normally I'm a pretty decent climber so it kind of sucks that I need to look for an easy spin back to the wagon. The early season trail of shame...

It was an amazing 70 plus degrees during the ride. Also saw a Lefty, exotic for these parts.

EDIT: Attacked the high roller after dinner, 3 minutes to mount, seat and inflate. Not sure what my problem was?

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Interesting. I don't think we rode that in 2014.

It doesn't get as much hype as some of the other trails but makes me giggle like a school girl. That trail starts off very narrow and off camber on a rather sheer exposure and turns into some fast loose rock surfing. You might not enjoy it if not happy being only partially in control of your bike.