Quantcast

Slic cables

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I'm not sure, but I know they work much better. I used the oddessey Liner Slic cables. They are by far the best I've used. When you do bar spins, they don't tighten up. They perform much better then average cables too.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Odyssey Slic cables are great. teflon lined and dirt cheap.

what the name means, I'm guessing the same as MotoMike, they slide well.....

I use them, have used them and will always use them, for years.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Yeah, the Odyssey Linear Slic cable is soooooooo sweet, I'm buying a few next week. As soon as someone buys my Heckler, I'll buy some Evolvers and a new lever too. The Hombre from 2001 is really tired...

s dub

Chimp
Nov 9, 2004
kenmore
the odyssey linear slic cable is 50 inches long, thats not long enough for my bike where are you finding longer linear slic cable?

s dub

Chimp
Nov 9, 2004
kenmore
they are meant for bmx, yes, but bmx and mtb cables are the same except for length.

im on a .243 SL/DJ/STR frame (mountain bike).

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
s dub said:
they are meant for bmx, yes, but bmx and mtb cables are the same except for length.

im on a .243 SL/DJ/STR frame (mountain bike).
nah i know its for bmx, i meant its bmx length. i assumed they would give you enough for barspins even on a mtb... because i doubt they make it in a longer length

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
s dub said:
the odyssey linear slic cable is 50 inches long, thats not long enough for my bike where are you finding longer linear slic cable?

What? what kind of bike/brakes are you running, I have to cut the hell out of mine, and I can still spin the bars 2-3 times in either direction!

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Just put a set of linear slicks on a banshee scratch with cable discs. These things are soooo coool. you can wrap the bars around a couple of times and the brakes still work 100%. plus I used the glow in the dark ones. pretty wild on Late night assaults!!! the super stiff housing can pretty much be formed to flow with the bends in the frame. worth every cent!!!

s dub

Chimp
Nov 9, 2004
kenmore
i didnt order any yet but on danscomp.com where i was gonna order it it said it was 50 inches long so i cut a piece of string and measured it to 50 inches and it barely reached my lever. maybe dans is wrong. where did you guys with yours?

what kind of bike? .243 sl/dj/str frame with avid bb7 short pull brakes.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Same thing, I bought a chain from dan's for a ss project I did, way short for a mtb with a 34t ring and 16.5" stays. Had to buy 6 links to make it long enough.

s dub

Chimp
Nov 9, 2004
kenmore
empires site didnt say how long the cables were.

does ANYONE know who makes linear slic cable longer than 50 inches?

j77

Chimp
Dec 15, 2004
s dub said:
just installed a set last night. Standard length is 60" of housing and 65" of cable. Just long enough for the rear v-brake on my steelhead, with enough housing up front for a spin or two of the bars. For a rear disk set up youre outta luck, I think. They guy at the shop said thats the only length they can get. (it was a BMX shop though)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm running discs on my DOC and had enough housing for 1 barspin, allowing a little extra housing for wider bars, and drop-out fore/aft positioning.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Dunno if maybe you get different lengths of these cables over in the States (seems unlikely to me though) but I've installed a few sets of Odyssey Slics on DJ/Street bikes with rear discs and there's always been plenty of cable to make the distance with enough slack for a spin or two.

I've installed them on XC bikes with cable discs as well and have had to trim about a foot of outer off to not make the bike look ridiculous.

Oct 9, 2003
Everybody prob. knows this: Remember to let the cable go the right way around the steerer tube. Right if you spin rightways and left if you spin leftways initially. It gives you that extra length (an entire spin if I'm not mistaken)

This is for right spins:

Oct 9, 2003
Ok got em up and runnin with Oddyssey slic cables and Avid SD7 with Avid SD5 levers with Red Ritchey pads. Seems super tight and with very little spongyness. Muuuch better than my xt parallelogram + xt levr setup. And a lot more like my Magura HS33, but without the on/off feeling. Great improvement. Thanks for the input. :D

Here's the setup: