Quantcast

slickest of the steel garage dh frames ?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
ive been seeing more and more of this concept, cheap, durable, steel dh frames, and im really stoked for my friend who is IMO making the one thats the nicest one of all ive seen both on the net and in other countries ive been to

here is the latest version

Attachments

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Looks good! I've always contemplated it, but I don't think it's ever more cost-efficient to build your own frame. Would be fun, but the amount of time necessary to do it right would be outrageous. The one you posted looks sweet, I would never have guessed it was a garage-built bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, geometry? travel? wheel path? leverage ratios? I like the looks of the rear dropouts a lot. EXTREMELY nice looking frame. Your buddy has some skillz.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i dont know what steel he is using lately but the weight is probably around 11,5 to 12lbs for that one, its a proto though so he wants it to fail, might end up being heavier for production.
bottom line is that the bike will be only marginally heavier than a full on dh top dollar frame, actually lighter than a 303 for instance.

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
Oh yeah , very good looking.
I like the rear caliper position and the high suspension pivot.
I'm guessing the 300usd are for a frame W/O shock ?!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
oh snap! i didn't even pick up on the rear brake mount. very trials like. i love it. also, whats the stroke and i2i on the shock? and for 300 USD you could sell a LOT of those.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i've never understood why he charges so much...if he lowered it down some he would actually sell more, i have only seen a few of those ever all the times i have ridden in spokane...

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
I'd shell out 300 dollars for one of those any day. Steel dh bikes are super light and so smoooth feeling. But please, we're begging for geometry.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
I'd shell out 300 dollars for one of those any day. Steel dh bikes are super light and so smoooth feeling. But please, we're begging for geometry.

sorry guys for keeping you waiting for the geo, i dont have any idea about the geometry on it but you can pretty much consider it custom geometry within some limits.
this one on the picture looks a bit tall in the bb but ive seen others id consider pretty much spot on for racing.

travel is around 8,5 with a 2,75 shock iirc

i was really thinking hard about if you could do better for 1000usd but i dont think so.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
i mean i guess you could do better for the cost of full blown factory dh frame. although that is only due to the fact that you will get a frame that has been researched for a few years, and a you get a researched suspension design such as the rail, or the dw link system. although if i was to go with a single piviot i think i would rather pay 300$ for a steel single piviot frame than shell out almost 2grand for a moorewood or an orange. i mean honestly slap a double barrel on that thing and it will performe just as well IMO.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
Do you know if he will start producing these? you could be his manager/sales rep. Hell, there are already about 10 people who just lined up asking for one.

Oh and by the way, tell him nice bike.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
i've never understood why he charges so much...if he lowered it down some he would actually sell more, i have only seen a few of those ever all the times i have ridden in spokane...
Yeah, I never quite got it either. Guess that's one reason I don't own one. I think he's used to custom builds for tri fanatics that will spend the green.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
sorry guys for keeping you waiting for the geo, i dont have any idea about the geometry on it but you can pretty much consider it custom geometry within some limits.
this one on the picture looks a bit tall in the bb but ive seen others id consider pretty much spot on for racing.

i was really thinking hard about if you could do better for 1000usd but i dont think so.
you gotta get you're buddy on here to answer some questions, because the frame has raised a lot of interest. questions like, does it include shock for 300? paint? what the geo like? bb size? i know you didnt make the frame, and dont know the answers, but you should ask your friend soon

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
you gotta get you're buddy on here to answer some questions, because the frame has raised a lot of interest. questions like, does it include shock for 300? paint? what the geo like? bb size? i know you didnt make the frame, and dont know the answers, but you should ask your friend soon

nono, i do know the answers, its got no shock (rocos can be arranged though), they ARE painted (powdercoat but limited basic colors) bb size is standard.
as for geo, they are pretty short CS normally, wheelbase is around 115 depending on fork of course. kinda hard throwing out more numbers but i would say since its semi custom (front end can be custom, rear ends he normally does one version of only) you can get it to be whatever you want.
ill show him this (his english knowledge is pretty basic hehe) and see if he could make a small run and set it apart for export.

Ekistoflarex

Chimp
Aug 5, 2002
hi
the prototipe is in sale, but for 420us aprox but is in testing, without shock and with, paint, decals, crome details (i dont know how to say because i dont speak english a lot, but the "logos" made in metal), etc
the production model is this an this is what cost 300us (this is my bike, is very very very similar than that prototipe but is 2007 model, not 2008 prototipe)

the prototipe have the floating disc (not mounted in vitox pictures) and the 12mm axle

this frames have almost 6 years under evolution and testing, and we can say they are very STRONG, short wheelbase and a lot of travel

Pin

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile

I asked to Majin (the designer & welder) in Valparaiso about geometry and told me it's 66.5º in front and 14.5" BB. A little weird... too steep angle for an almost low/racing BB.

I recommended him to keep that height and go for 64.5º in front, to get fast-but-not-pure racing frame, according to the market the frame is oriented (beginner racer) and our not open wide tracks.

Of course, all their frames can take de geometry that the client wants.