Quantcast

Slider plus for bigger riders

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I found a good deal on this fork. I am wondering how it would hold up to a heavier rider (+250pnds). I have read through a lot of the threads doing a search but none of them seem to talk about this specifically. So it is a kickass fork...for everyone? or is their a weight lmit?

The fork will be used for some dh and a lot of trail riding.

Thanx

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
i don't see it being anyless strong then a super.t or a boxxer. but look at your past do you smash and crack stuff on a regular basses? if yes maybe a 888 could be in order.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I don't think there is a rider size limit. There are some big guys on all types of forks. I think the 888/Shiver/Slider are going to be the bigger of the forks for the big guys. All are strong, and should take a good beating.

Never heard anything bad about the sliders. Infact I thought they felt good when doing a test of one (granted around a parking lot) but it felt nice. I think for the $$$ they can't really be beat, SPV, less than 7lbs, 7" travel. They are solid sounding forks.

IF not, I am 240 and love my Shiver. I think it's pretty strong :)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Spring-wise, I'm pretty sure the Shermans don't take well to big riders, even with the heaviest spring. (might want to ask YetiDHer about that one for some personal experience.)

The question for you, in my mind anyhow, is if you can get the SPV damping to help accomodate your size along with with the heaviest spring. On a non-SPV sherman, you can go to 7.5wt in the damper to help it out...I have 7wt Bel-ray in my 2003 slider and I only weigh 170. I don't know if you can use heavier oil on SPV or not...but SPV also offers the air pressure and progression adjustment, which could help a guy your size, too.

So, it's all speculation, but it might work. (consider this a bump to keep your thread alive until someone with firsthand knowledge shows up.) You might give Manitou tech support a call, too.

MD

Edit: Oh, yeah-I'm with Spunger. I'd find a deal on a used Shiver and go to the heaviest springs and 10wt oil in it if I was your size. Not to say the slider+ wouldn't work, but the marzo is a sure thing...

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Actually, I thought the Extra Heavy springs in my Breakout were too stiff. I NEVER bottomed them out and I weigh about 240.

I'd say your golden. :D

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
In general, the Manitous I have ridden have had a more linear spring rate, but that could very well have changed. They were great over 'regular' rough stuff, but I am also 200+ and found myself blowing through the travel off of drops. I found that TPC+ alone did almost nothing. BUT, SPV may help you out. I know that it has made a big difference on my rear shock. I like the ride of Marzocchi's.

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
I'd say grab it! I've been on one since last fall and it could very well be my favourite fork at the moment. Granted I weigh a measly 190lbs + gear, but I've got a tendency to bend and break stuff pretty frequently.

The fork is easily tuned for damn near any riding style as well as rider weight and personal preference. Performance is amazing and there's lots of clearance for big meaty tires.

A good friend who's broken over 15 forks in the last 2 seasons has been riding a modified 2003 Firefly (80mm version - basically the Sherman street fork) for over 4 months without breakage. That says something to me about the Sherman design and the fork's strength.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
To me at 250+ pounds I think you might wanna be in the market for a monster or shiver. I think for DH/fr use the smaller forks will probably feel like a wet noodle for you.