Quantcast

Slightly Short Steerer

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Installed a new fork I got from ebay, and a new CK headset, and the CK added more depth than I thought it would, so now I have my steerer coming up to the bottom of my top bolt on my stem, so it's not "grabbing" as much as it should. People have made the argument for and against this being ridden. I'm not doing any drops bigger than a foot on my XC bike, but I gotta have some monkey input.

Eventually, I'll have a new steerer installed...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Can you face down the top of the heasdtube a few mm's? Also if it won't throw the geometry of the bike off you can face the bottom of the headtube a little too. The third option is to run a stem that has less stack height. What stem are you running now?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Raceface stems were some of the lower stack height stems I could find. I am in the same boat, the steer tube was cut too short and I am running a King headset as well. On the Diablous and Deus? stems that I have had they both work great. The Deus (their $50+ XC'ish stem) works excellent. I had bought an Easton stem because it was cheap but it was way too big, my steer tube didn't even hit the second bolt on the clamp. With the Raceface stuff it hits the second bolt and just barely goes above it, just enough room for everything.

I think their stack height is really low for general made stems. I know some of the FR/DH stems (SIC, FUNN) have super low stack heights but I wanted a stem longer than 50mm. The raceface was the only way for me to go.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
punkassean said:
Can you face down the top of the heasdtube a few mm's? Also if it won't throw the geometry of the bike off you can face the bottom of the headtube a little too. The third option is to run a stem that has less stack height. What stem are you running now?
Facing down might be a good idea..

I'm running a RF Evolve XC, and my LBS suggested that a less stack stem, but all they had were crap. I have a total RF build, and I don't wanna change, so the $75 new steerer is prolly the best bet.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
stinkyboy said:
Facing down might be a good idea..

I'm running a RF Evolve XC, and my LBS suggested that a less stack stem, but all they had were crap. I have a total RF build, and I don't wanna change, so the $75 new steerer is prolly the best bet.
$75 for a new steerer? Go with that. I was going to suggest a ritchey stem as they are fairly low stack height or maybe a Thompson as the grab differently, but if it is that cheap for a new steerer I'd just do that. Of course this could be a good excuse to get rid of all that Race Face crap :p

The Ito