Quantcast

Slingbox???

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
valve bouncer said:
Anyone know anything about this? Have you used it? Know anyone who has? Any good?
http://www.slingmedia.com
Jim Rome is pitching all the time on his radio program it seems like a good idea, that is probally works well and should've been thought of sooner, I like that there is NO monthly fee just buy the dang thing and use it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Another option is to install a TV card in your home PC, feed it your cable TV feed, then use a remote desktop app from work to get into you home PC.

Getting the two PCs (home and work) on the same network would be the only "difficult" part. It would require that you leave your home PC on... not sure if that's a big deal to you or not.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
jacksonpt said:
Another option is to install a TV card in your home PC, feed it your cable TV feed, then use a remote desktop app from work to get into you home PC.

Getting the two PCs (home and work) on the same network would be the only "difficult" part. It would require that you leave your home PC on... not sure if that's a big deal to you or not.
I'm thinking of using my parents computer (in Australia) to send me shows (only really wanna watch some sports) here in Japan.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
jacksonpt said:

Citrix (without videoframe), Terminal Server, and VNC all have pretty crappy refresh rates, especially over limited bandwidth Internet connections with highly variable network conditions.

They are unacceptable for video/multimedia usage (audio is doable though).

Setting up a streaming video server would be the only viable option but its probably harder and more complicated than Slingbox for most folks.

That doesn't even include the network security aspect to setting up either homemade solution.

I think VB parents would have to be IT professionals to pull it off for him :p

VB, go with a Slingbox...