Quantcast

Slope style bikes

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Okay, me and a couple friends are about to buy this peice of land that has a huge hill that holds about a 30 degree angle the whole way up, the top part of the hill is trees, and the bttom is a huge feild, and we are going to rent some bobcats, and a back 'o', and buy tons of would (we'll propably end up raiding local construction sites :D ) and we are going to build a huge slopestyle track. i currently have a full on dh bike, and a full on urban bike. so i thought i'm going to add a third bike that is more suitable for slopestyle riding, could you guys post some pics, as well as info of any and all bikes that would be perfect for my situation. the track will most likely contain: drops (up to 20'), doubles, fun boxes, tabletops, skinnies galore, and slalom stuff, and maybe a couple wall rides. thanks

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Three. That's how many times I had to read this to figure out what the hell you are trying to say. The fact that you are building things out of (stolen) "would" really threw me....

back-hoe...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
unless you are almost as good as the guys who rode at monster park, you probably wont survive on a 6" travel bike doing 20' drops. youll be fine with your dh bike most likely.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
no i ment take from the dumpster you'd be surprised what they trow away, i guess that's easy when your boss has to pay for it and not the worker, anyway, basically i just need to know what are some good slopestyle bikes.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
well i say 20' now, but once i get 'round to actualy building the stuff, the other guys will probably be hitting the bigger stuff and i'll stick to my 15 footers.

and if its in the dumpsters they are throwing it away, i'm sure the landfill won't miss it, any way the bikes.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
eknomf said:
The new Mountain Cycle slopestyle bike sounds like it's just what you are looking for.

Personally, If I were planning on doing a course with big-a$$ drops and jumps, I'd want more than 4" of travel, which is what I think that MC has. I'd probably just run my DH bike or a mid-travel (6-7") freeride bike.

On a side note, does anyone else think that the new Mountain Cycle looks awesome? I admit that the physical looks are so-so but I like the idea- mid travel, really beefy, can be run for DS, MTX or urban and jumps. I definitely wouldn't mind picking one up. I've had good experiences with my Shockwave 9.5 this summer.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
dude i love the new mountain cycle, but it's just not big enough, i was thinking like 6 or 7 inches, with my luck i would think that that mountain cycle could take like a big drop, but it'll break on my ass and i'll end up in the hospital, i was thinking like something with beefy tubing to ensure my paranoid ass. but god that bike looks so sweet, i need a personal moment.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I have nothing against mountain cycle but how can so many of you recommend a first year frame that no one has really tested yet???...D

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
thing is and i should have specified this, it has to be light, and small, because i throw my bike around a lot in the air, and about the first year frames, the further we get down the road, bikes are becoming so technologically advanced that all of these bikes have been tested and tested so much before they even put on the market, these frames are thrown into machines and thrashed until the frame bends a little (i'm talking like .5 mm of bend) so these are usually crash rated bikes, but i'm looking at the cannondale but the last gemini i had broke and i hurt my back pretty badly so i'm kind of sceptical about c'dales, i'm looking at a mongoose triple diamond bike or their new downhill machine. has anyone riden those?

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
yea the moongose would be a perfect bike.. jeezus you are worried about breaking a cdale and you are gonna buy a mongoose? is this a joke?

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
You said you already had a DH bike why are you looking at getting another DH bike for slopestyle. Just get a bike with 6 inches of rear travel and 6 or 7 single crown in the front, how about the new Intense 6.6 if you have some money.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
How about a vp-free or an intense uzzi vxp? They are burly and both have about 8", but are good jumpers. You could put a 66 on it.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i love that sx trail that will probably be my choice, but i've got to see if my girlfriend if will let me spend that much money on a bike, i know, i know whipped, i don't care. :(

hilldown

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
Oroville, CA
I dont think anyone is going to get the fact that you are not stealing any wood. As far as bikes go you should check out some of the 06' Kona line up. Maybe you might find something worthwile. In the Santa Cruz dept. you should really consider the Nomad. It sounds close to what you are looking for. Now, Im no fan of SC's customer service, but the bike is worth the wait. The hill your building sounds awesome Man, I dont live out east, but I would love to have something like that nearby. The Nomad is worth looking at, good luck.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Dirtjumper999 said:
and i'm not stealing i'm borrowing trash untill it rots
What is wrong w/ this? Yes, he is stealing......- trash (wood that they don't need). But what is stealing trash? It is better that he uses it for something himself rather than it be wasted and just taking up space in the land fill. :mumble:

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
mtnbrider said:
What is wrong w/ this? Yes, he is stealing......- trash (wood that they don't need). But what is stealing trash? It is better that he uses it for something himself rather than it be wasted and just taking up space in the land fill. :mumble:

dude i love you. much props to this man, ha! i'm environmentally ethical here :sneaky:

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
Dirtjumper999 said:
i'm looking at the cannondale but the last gemini i had broke and i hurt my back pretty badly so i'm kind of sceptical about c'dales,
lemme guess, it was older than 05 and snaped at the HT. after 05 they've strenghtened it up a lot, and mine has stood up to more than i can so far. amen on the vp free, 7.7 or uzzi, but they're a little heavy if you want to wip it like your urban bike. thought of a nomad? bighit? V-tach? new stinky?
dude i totaly support what your up to, in fact, im not that far out of the way. need a hand building or guineaing the drops? gimme a pm.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i never really liked the feel of any kona i've set my feet on, i think its the feel of the rocker link cause i don't like the trek session7 either. but no the gemini broke at the swingarm right as the top gusset meets the bottom, and well when we set a date for renting the skid steers i'll send you a pm.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Thanks!! I thought it was stupid that people thought you were stealing wood. What are they thinking? I do the same thing.

What you are building sounds awsome, I would love to help, but I live kind of far.