Quantcast

SlopeMonkey: split board advice

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Anyone here have some real world experience with these? Teh Google has gobs of information about them, but I am not able to parse the info that I need from the stacks of "sick graphics and raddest binding evar, brah!" reviews and write-ups.

The quandary: I am a reasonably good snowboarder and a novice tele-skier, but comfortable and experienced in the back-country with either. I have been getting tempted by some back country terrain that I could easily ride on a snowboard, but would prolly make a real mess out of myself on skis. I see two options:

1. Suck it up and become a better tele skier. The problem here is that I am an old bastard and a slow learner when it comes to new activities.

2. Get a split board. The problem here is that I know zip about these things. How much do they suck in ski mode relative to real skis? How much do they suck in board mode compared to a regular snow board? One way or the other, I am very overdue for a new snowboard...

Thoughts (other than why is this guy asking about snowboards on a bike forum)?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My understanding is that the split (ski) mode is only intended for skinning up / ascending / traversing terrain. They are not intended to be descended that way.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Anyone here have some real world experience with these? Teh Google has gobs of information about them, but I am not able to parse the info that I need from the stacks of "sick graphics and raddest binding evar, brah!" reviews and write-ups.

The quandary: I am a reasonably good snowboarder and a novice tele-skier, but comfortable and experienced in the back-country with either. I have been getting tempted by some back country terrain that I could easily ride on a snowboard, but would prolly make a real mess out of myself on skis. I see two options:

1. Suck it up and become a better tele skier. The problem here is that I am an old bastard and a slow learner when it comes to new activities.

2. Get a split board. The problem here is that I know zip about these things. How much do they suck in ski mode relative to real skis? How much do they suck in board mode compared to a regular snow board? One way or the other, I am very overdue for a new snowboard...

Thoughts (other than why is this guy asking about snowboards on a bike forum)?
Um, tele skis and split boards aren't the only two things out there. AT and Dynafit bindings are a thing and allow you to skin up on wide skis and ski down, without the annoyance of being forced into terrain or unable to go where you want with the miserable traversing/climbing/kickturning properties of snowboards. I have a snowboard too, but modern wide skis are fantastic. You only have to decide what width to weight ratio you want to haul, but same thing with a snowboard. Most people doing freeride touring are using AT or Dynafit.

Last edited:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
it's funny, but I never really considered AT / Randonnee setups - I assume that is what you mean. I never really got great at downhill on two boards. Maybe I will see if I can rent a pair and try them out one of these days.

Your description of traversing & climbing with a snowboard confirm my suspicions.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
it's funny, but I never really considered AT / Randonnee setups - I assume that is what you mean. I never really got great at downhill on two boards. Maybe I will see if I can rent a pair and try them out one of these days.

Your description of traversing & climbing with a snowboard confirm my suspicions.
Modern powder skis make it absolutely stupid easy (and fun). Freaking huge difference from before (10-15 yrs).