Quantcast

SLO's Modanna Rock Garden (video)

bikesair

Chimp
Jun 30, 2009
San Luis Obispo CA
Modanna's RockGarden on Vimeo

Nothing really special here. The quality is okay (Hero SD) but I think it gives everyone a good perspective of what there up against!

The trail has actually changed quite a bit recently. We've been getting quite a bit of rain that has really been exposing a lot more rocks. :) On my '05 Giant Faith for this one. Hopefully the pace is quick enough to keep it interesting haha.

The Embedded worked on MTBR but I can't seem to get it to on here. Any tips?

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I think there are people on the East Coast dying of laughter right now.

bikesair

Chimp
Jun 30, 2009
San Luis Obispo CA
Heh, yeah it's tamer trail. Lots of fun on an xc or small bike though! Not a "downhill" trail by any means. Check out this vid for a real San Luis DH trail-
. Picks up about 4 mins in.
Ya Tower is a much funner trail. The ride/hike to the top can be a little haness though. Modanna is pretty easy but thats what makes it fun, especially on my stumpy.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Heh, yeah it's tamer trail. Lots of fun on an xc or small bike though! Not a "downhill" trail by any means. Check out this vid for a real San Luis DH trail- . Picks up about 4 mins in.
I think how quickly he accelerates at 4min gives you an idea how steep that trail is...and then it clearly gets steeper as it gets into the rocks. I know of people who have taken several east coaster's on that trail who kept talking about all the "rocky and technical trails" on the east coast. Let's just say they're weren't exactly having fun on that trail.

dirtboyracer

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Rockgarden is no piece of cake for the haters out there. At speed it becomes a whole ne ballgame.
The fact that Tower is the second (third?) toughest trail in town should tell you something. I haven't done Tower in a few months but from the highway, it looks like the bottom steep section has a foot deep rut in the middle of it right now

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Check out this vid for a real San Luis DH trail-
. Picks up about 4 mins in.
If anyone thinks that's bad, you woulda messed yourself if you rode Tower back in '98. It's changed quite a bit since then. Good riding, fellas.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Rockgarden is no piece of cake for the haters out there. At speed it becomes a whole ne ballgame.
The fact that Tower is the second (third?) toughest trail in town should tell you something. I haven't done Tower in a few months but from the highway, it looks like the bottom steep section has a foot deep rut in the middle of it right now
You're right about Rock Garden. For the most common trail users (weekend XC riders) it is gnarly! Or try and go fast and it gets interesting as well. Here is another movie of Rock Garden that shows the trail a bit better...

The rut at the bottom wasn't too bad two weeks ago. There was a rut up top that sucks but the trail isn't as steep there so its no biggie.

Sorry to derail the thread bikesair! Just rode Rock Garden through Lemon Grove this evening and yesterday evening. SO sick right now. Great all mountain loop.

dirtboyracer

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
After doing Rock Garden at night on my XC bike with no lights and a full moon, I have new respect for that trail. I'll have to check it out then. The rut looked like it eats wheels for breakfast but that was probably just the angle.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I know of people who have taken several east coaster's on that trail who kept talking about all the "rocky and technical trails" on the east coast. Let's just say they're weren't exactly having fun on that trail.
Because its a straight line for 6 minutes perhaps? I thought it looked fun, but hardly anything that would give >sport racer a hard time. East vs. West threads are lame.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I consider myself lucky to be 45 minutes from this place....

you should see the rest of the mountain.
All the american guys I rode with years ago always said the same thing,how much they loved coming to ride here.

Last time was up there was a while,rode with smutok and few sinister guys,and a kid ( who is probly my age now on a chumba f4 ) with his mom who I helped on a solo run urly in the morning I was taking.

His mom was AWSOME,she rode DH AT BROMONT ARE YOU KIDDING!!! stab primo with deemax's and a shiver.She was Hardcore.

That was a amazing day of riding,will never forget.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Please tell me you guys dont actually ride downhill bikes on these xc trails.
Most of the time no- but it is a good time to take the DH bike on an XC ride. It's fun to pass the spandex guys on a climb with a full DH bike then watch their reaction when they see us drinking tall cans at the top. Hate if you want, its fun and keeps me in shape.

I'm sure you can tell exactly what the trail is like from all these helmet cams too!

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
I consider myself lucky to be 45 minutes from this place....

you should see the rest of the mountain.
All the american guys I rode with years ago always said the same thing,how much they loved coming to ride here.

Last time was up there was a while,rode with smutok and few sinister guys,and a kid ( who is probly my age now on a chumba f4 ) with his mom who I helped on a solo run urly in the morning I was taking.

His mom was AWSOME,she rode DH AT BROMONT ARE YOU KIDDING!!! stab primo with deemax's and a shiver.She was Hardcore.

That was a amazing day of riding,will never forget.
Sounds like that is a good place to ride. It's good you consider yourself lucky! I think I'm lucky too. High five!

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Most of the time no- but it is a good time to take the DH bike on an XC ride. It's fun to pass the spandex guys on a climb with a full DH bike then watch their reaction when they see us drinking tall cans at the top. Hate if you want, its fun and keeps me in shape.

I'm sure you can tell exactly what the trail is like from all these helmet cams too!
NAw man im not hating :rofl: I just hope you guys dont spend all the money on big dh bikes to ride those trails thats alls ;)

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I own chainsmoke 2 on vhs,it is still to date my favorite dh vid.

Rennie on the yeti is the best part.

I dont even need to watch that clip its landcasters part in the beginning of the vid.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I own chainsmoke 2 on vhs,it is still to date my favorite dh vid.

Rennie on the yeti is the best part.

I dont even need to watch that clip its landcasters part in the beginning of the vid.
The part where Rennie blasts that big gap on the road is shot out at Pozo right near here. Here is a teaser pic from today. They are having another race soon but nobody is gonna is break Richard's time from way back it was low 1:40's HAHAH. I will have more shots soon of the testing that went on today. Nate crushing Thumb Breaker!

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
The part where Rennie blasts that big gap on the road is shot out at Pozo right near here. Here is a teaser pic from today. They are having another race soon but nobody is gonna is break Richard's time from way back it was low 1:40's HAHAH. I will have more shots soon of the testing that went on today. Nate crushing Thumb Breaker!
Awsome :thumb:

thats pic is nuts too.

The trio on the tower were moving.I would also glue myself as much to the left too.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA

Nice pic Ian, it actually shows how steep it is!

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Nice pic Ian, it actually shows how steep it is!
We should of had you come and shoot video. Next time out....maybe this week some time. Email me when you are available to do it? Oh Thanks I got some killer images this time pretty stoked about em!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
http://vimeo.com/10130504

Nothing really special here. The quality is okay (Hero SD) but I think it gives everyone a good perspective of what there up against!

The trail has actually changed quite a bit recently. We've been getting quite a bit of rain that has really been exposing a lot more rocks. :) On my '05 Giant Faith for this one. Hopefully the pace is quick enough to keep it interesting haha.

The Embedded worked on MTBR but I can't seem to get it to on here. Any tips?
Embediing here is all bracket coding..... No HTML. For vimeo its everything after the last slash<10130504> then you have (vimeo)10130504(/vimeo) But instead of the Parentheses, use brackets [ ] [/[ ]

You video was cool, but man the standard Gopro just doesnt do justice to how fast your going. I had the standard for awhile myself, an decided to go with the wide angle...... Much more stable, shows your true speed on film alot better as well.........

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
We should of had you come and shoot video. Next time out....maybe this week some time. Email me when you are available to do it? Oh Thanks I got some killer images this time pretty stoked about em!
Finals until Thursday and secret trail practice on Friday. It would be cool to get someone to shoot the race for me... or I could step out of the race and shoot it myself.... ugh, can't decide. I'm down to do a photo/vid shoot though. Maybe the following week over my Spring break?