Quantcast

Slow Cooker

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
They all seem like pretty basic appliances but is there anything I should specifically look for when purchasing one?

What are ya all using?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I dunno about that "big enough for an entire roast/chicken/etc bit. Get one that's big enough for your needs, but no bigger. We have one that's 4qts that we use all the time, and the medium size is just about perfect for roasts cooked in wine sauce/broth. To use the bigger one would require *far* more of whatever it is you're looking at cooking the meat in (I'm pretty sure a friend of ours needed 3+ bottles of wine to cook a roast in her 8qt crockpot once). If you need to pick up a second, low-end 8qt non-programmable crockpot, they're pretty cheap (the one we're using for Sous Vide was only ~$15 or so).

We use ours all the time, including beans, pork, ribs, roasts, etc. You'd be amazed at what you can do with it, and how easy it is. One of our favorite "cheater" meals is pork (something tough/fatty, like boneless country ribs) and salsa. Throw it all in to the crockpot (layer of salsa to keep the meat from burning, then pork, then the rest of the salsa on top, and cook on low for ~8 hours. Dinner's ready pretty much the minute you walk in the door after work.

Hell, we've even made ribs that came out pretty well in ours (wood chips, soaked and wrapped in wax paper packet with a few holes poked in the top of it on the bottom, 1" of water/beer/whatever poured in, then ribs (CS or real ones) on top with a nice dry rub. Cook for ~5 hours on low. Keeps them moist, and the wood gives a nice flavor as well. Since they're not covered with anything (like the salsa above), they dry out if you cook them longer than that...

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
i use mine all the time. i don't have a hinged lid, and actually prefer it for clean up and just having the lid completely out of the way. i have a larger size but haven't had a problem with burning or having to totally fill it up unless a particular recipe calls for it. here's a simple and solid pulled pork recipe just for kicks:

* 2.5 pounds of pork shoulder roast
* 16oz of bbq sauce (go with jack daniels regular)
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon brown sugar
* 1 medium onion – chopped
* Buns

Drop the roast in the pot. Cook on low 10-12 hours. Remove from the meat pot, drain all the liquid, and shred it up real good with two forks. Add the meat back to the pot and add all the rest of the ingredients (except for the buns, but that would be really funny) and mix it up real good. Cook on high 1 hour and it’s done.

Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
i use mine all the time. i don't have a hinged lid, and actually prefer it for clean up and just having the lid completely out of the way. i have a larger size but haven't had a problem with burning or having to totally fill it up unless a particular recipe calls for it. here's a simple and solid pulled pork recipe just for kicks:

* 1 teaspoon brown sugar
* Buns

Drop the roast in the pot. Cook on low 10-12 hours. Remove from the meat pot, drain all the liquid, and shred it up real good with two forks. Add the meat back to the pot and add all the rest of the ingredients (except for the buns, but that would be really funny) and mix it up real good. Cook on high 1 hour and it’s done.
So I don't cook the meat with anything in the pot?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Hell, we've even made ribs that came out pretty well in ours (wood chips, soaked and wrapped in wax paper packet with a few holes poked in the top of it on the bottom,
Um... I would maybe re-think that "wax paper" part. The wax is gonna melt and get into your food. Why not use something like parchment paper or foil?

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Stosh,
One thing that I would also recommend is to first "brown" your meat some how. You can either do it in a pan, or even on the grill for a few minutes. That way you get some better caramelization of the meat and more developed flavors. It does add a step though. Grill is nice bc you aren't getting another pan dirty (assumes you have a gas grill). If you do it in a pan, de-glaze the pan afterwards and add that liquid to the slow cooker.

I did some kick azz Feijoda over the weekend. It is a brazillian black bean and pork "stew".
1lb black beans (dry and soaked)
1/4 - 1/2 lb bacon (diced and slightly pre-cooked)
1 - 1 1/2 lb pork (shoulder or "stew" meat)
Onion, celery, garlic... Bay leaves and chicken stock.

Serve with some collard greens and rice.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
What others have said is good. I don't personally find a need for a hinged lid (or, for that matter, even a timer...but that depends on when you are cooking and your schedule). Really, I just wouldn't spend too much money on one. Cheaper slow cookers work well and last a long time. Nicer ones can get way more expensive, but may not add much. It's a pretty simple appliance without a whole lot to break or make that much better.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
* 1 teaspoon brown sugar
* Buns

we just got a crock pot for xmas and pulled pork was of course the first thing i was going to make.
does the pork really take that long to cook?? can i cook it on medium for less time?

anyone have any other dishes they make with a crock pot?

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Too many...

One I did recently that was really good was a Malaysian Beef Rendang curry.

5 shallots
1 inch galangal
3 lemongrass (inner white part only)
5 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
10-12 dried chilies
1 1/2 pound boneless beef short ribs (cut into cubes)
5 tablespoons cooking oil
2 tsp cinnamon
1tsp cloves
1tsp star anise
1 tsp cardamom
1 cup thick coconut milk
1 cup water
2 teaspoons tamarind pulp (soaked in some warm water for the juice and discard the seeds)
6 kaffir lime leaves (very finely sliced)
6 tablespoons kerisik (toasted coconut)
1 tablespoon sugar/palm sugar or to taste
Salt to taste

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Another:

Redbeans (and rice)

This one requires some pre-work though. Every so often I put about 10-15lbs of boneless pork shoulder (Country spare ribs) on the smoker and then freeze them for use in various recipes. This is one of them...

2lbs red-beans (soaked over nite)
1bulb of garlic (bulb, not cloves)
2 chopped onions
1 bunch celery (chopped)
2lbs smoked pork shoulder
3 bay leaves
Cajun/creole salt mix (to taste)
Red Rooster or Crystal hot sauce to taste

Just cook in the slow cooker... but be sure to add your salt at the end or your beans will never get as soft as you want them. The salt prevents them from getting real tender.

Last edited:

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Similar:

Brazillian Feijoda:

2lbs black beans (soaked over night)
2 chopped onions
1 bunch celery (chopped)
4-5 bay leaves
1lb Linguica sausage
3-4 slices of bacon, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Tapitio to taste (Mexican hot sauce)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Similar:

Brazillian Feijoda:

2lbs black beans (soaked over night)
2 chopped onions
1 bunch celery (chopped)
4-5 bay leaves
1lb Linguica sausage
3-4 slices of bacon, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Tapitio to taste (Mexican hot sauce)
mmm gonna try this one.
are you soaking the beans in water over night? how long do you cook it in the crock pot?
how do you know if the pork is done after its been in the cooker for so damn long?

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Japanese Curry

1 pkg Japanese curry mix
1-2 lbs smoked pork shoulder
2-3 chopped onions
1lb diced carrot
2lbs potato (diced) Mix of sweet potato and "regular" as you see fit...
1/2 head cabbage, diced

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
mmm gonna try this one.
are you soaking the beans in water over night? how long do you cook it in the crock pot?
how do you know if the pork is done after its been in the cooker for so damn long?
Yeah, soak them over night. I cook it um... As long as I want? ;) Usually at least 5-6 hours. Pork will be done... That is a given. Anything over 4-5 hours and it will be fine.

Oh, and of course I'm leaving water or broth out of all these recipes... I dunno... Maybe 5-6 cups worth?
I don't really follow recipes at all. I cook more by instinct.

OH... On the Feijoda. When I make it, I also make up a huge batch of Collard Greens (or Collard and Mustard greens mixed). Just boil them in a few cups of water with a piece or two of bacon. Start with the bacon and when it is about half way done, add the water and greens. Stir till the greens are wilted enough to be soft and then simmer for about 45min. Serve the Collard Greens with the Feijoda and some brown rice. MMMmmmmmm

Last edited:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I use the slow cooker all the time! It's great, I set it up in the morning and dinner is ready when we all get home from work. Lately we've made: Venison Stew, homemade fruit & nut oatmeal, pulled pork, chili, pot roast, and Buffalo-style chicken sandwiches (think pulled pork but as chicken wings).

I have a 5 or 6-qt. with a removable pot (makes clean-up easy) and I have an insulated carrying case so I can take it on the road when needed. I also have a programmable timer that I bought for it that works out great too.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
4lb Pork Shoulder
10 chopped tomatillos
2 chopped jalapenos
2 chopped green chilis
1 chopped onion
1/2 jar green salsa
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 bottle beer (Homebrewed Centennial Blonde)
6 cloves garlic
Cumin
Oregeno
Crushed Red Pepper
Salt
Pepper
Flour

Dice up pork shoulder, remove most of the fat. Coat in salt and pepper. Sear on iron skillet, then move to crockpot. Saute garlic and onion in same pan with juices, move to crockpot. Deglaze pan with beer, pour into crockpot. Add everything but flour (spices to taste, I added more red pepper, salt and pepper at end). Crockpot on low for 8-10 hours until pork shreds on it's own. Add flour to thicken, add spices to taste.

Eat on it's own, or smother ontop of pretty much anything

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have severely limited kitchen space these days. Figured out how to make pulled pork in the rice cooker instead of the old crock pot. OMFG it was awesome. Pork shoulder, vinegar, mustard powder, soy sauce, cayenne, garlic, pepper flakes, a splash of mushroom stock and liquid smoke.