Quantcast

slow down

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hooples3, Aug 25, 2005.

1. hooples3

hooples3 Fuggetaboutit!

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    last night I took my heckler out for a ride. It was already dark out and nice and cool. I wound up riding around aimlessly .... on and off of curbs.. launching off anything that look launchable. I was having so much fun just cruising that two hours came and went. the best part about was that my computer said i averaged 8 miles an hour. that made me reaalize something.
    almost everytime i ride my bike I try to be faster. even commuting to work. its 4 am and I am pushing myself to be faster ... to beat my fastest commuting time. other times I look at the speedometer and think im not going as fast as I normally go.. so i pick up the pace. Dont get me wrong.. getting faster is great.. but maybe bike riding shouldnt be all about that. I realized more and more that it should be almost all about fun.. and maybe just a little training... at least for me that is. I am sure other monkies would agree and im sure plenty disagree. Anyway.. Im getting rid of my heart rate monitor. and id like to get rid of my bike computer as well.. but I'll take one step at a time. I want to ride like a kid rides again

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Crazy Sweeper

Crazy Sweeper more COWBELL!

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    That's deep man. I think I agree with you for the most part. I guess that's why I've never raced. Honestly, the only reason I ever try to ride faster is to keep up with everybody else who is riding fast. Although, I'm usually content just being second-to-last.

3. MTB_Rob_NC

MTB_Rob_NC What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Take a newbie out for a ride and see how much fun it can be.

4. jacksonpt

jacksonpt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    yea, if you're not enjoying it, don't do it. I wanted to race this summer, so I started training a bit... doing rides not for fun but to get faster/stronger. I hated it, and ended up not wanting to ride for about 6 weeks. I just had no interest in being on my bike - it sucked. I'd still like to race at some point, but I'm not taking it so seriously.

5. robdamanii

robdamanii OMG! <3 Tom Brady!

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I agree completely. I'm out there for fun, to challenge myself and to have a good time. The sense of satisfaction when accomplishing something is much greater than beating someone in a race.

6. narlus

narlus Eastcoast Softcore
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 21
    to really get back to basics, throw on a t-shirt, some regular shorts, and flat pedals. it's like yr a kid again, just bombing around the neighborhood.

:thumb:

7. peter6061

peter6061 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I threw out my computer and HRM years ago and riding started to get fun again.

8. hooples3

hooples3 Fuggetaboutit!

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0

your right!!!! thats how i want to ride.. like a kid again!!!!

although i love seeing the computer hitting 3000 towards the end of the year

9. TreeSaw

TreeSaw Mama Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    41 / 423
    I know what you mean. I like to try a combo of both. When I am in race mode, I love it and can't wait to do it again. Now a days, I have to take it a little slower and am enjoying being out in the woods on my bike. I think it's all about balance. And there are definitely days when I'd love to get rid of Mr. Din-a-ling (my heart rate monitor) but that's a big :nope: right now. :p

10. BigMike

BigMike BrokenbikeMike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I do both. Best of both worlds. I race DH, which is fun anyway, but mostly, I just ride Around with my buddies

11. SkaredShtles

SkaredShtles I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    247 / 1,881
    Yep. For me riding is *just* about fun.

Except commuting to work. That's not fun. It's $$ savings and exercise. I save a little gas money *and* I get a twice a day hour long workout.

I wouldn't commute if I could get out on dirt more often for my exercise. :D

12. Echo

Echo crooked smile

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    It's definitely all about fun for me. The main reason I train is so I can go on longer rides without bonking. Racing is fun for me too, and when I'm racing I go as fast as I can, but really it's all about fun.

13. Heidi

Heidi Der hund ist laut und braun

Rep/Likes:
    25 / 317
    I guess I do both. Racing is fun for me...pure fun. Going fast is fun for me, a different fun. It's scare myself sh!tless fun! :) When I go out after work I can just cruise but I'm still going fast. I guess my point is...for me, fast is fun.