Quantcast

slow down

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
last night I took my heckler out for a ride. It was already dark out and nice and cool. I wound up riding around aimlessly .... on and off of curbs.. launching off anything that look launchable. I was having so much fun just cruising that two hours came and went. the best part about was that my computer said i averaged 8 miles an hour. that made me reaalize something.
almost everytime i ride my bike I try to be faster. even commuting to work. its 4 am and I am pushing myself to be faster ... to beat my fastest commuting time. other times I look at the speedometer and think im not going as fast as I normally go.. so i pick up the pace. Dont get me wrong.. getting faster is great.. but maybe bike riding shouldnt be all about that. I realized more and more that it should be almost all about fun.. and maybe just a little training... at least for me that is. I am sure other monkies would agree and im sure plenty disagree. Anyway.. Im getting rid of my heart rate monitor. and id like to get rid of my bike computer as well.. but I'll take one step at a time. I want to ride like a kid rides again

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
That's deep man. I think I agree with you for the most part. I guess that's why I've never raced. Honestly, the only reason I ever try to ride faster is to keep up with everybody else who is riding fast. Although, I'm usually content just being second-to-last.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
yea, if you're not enjoying it, don't do it. I wanted to race this summer, so I started training a bit... doing rides not for fun but to get faster/stronger. I hated it, and ended up not wanting to ride for about 6 weeks. I just had no interest in being on my bike - it sucked. I'd still like to race at some point, but I'm not taking it so seriously.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
to really get back to basics, throw on a t-shirt, some regular shorts, and flat pedals. it's like yr a kid again, just bombing around the neighborhood.

:thumb:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
narlus said:
to really get back to basics, throw on a t-shirt, some regular shorts, and flat pedals. it's like yr a kid again, just bombing around the neighborhood.

narlus said:

your right!!!! thats how i want to ride.. like a kid again!!!!

although i love seeing the computer hitting 3000 towards the end of the year

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I know what you mean. I like to try a combo of both. When I am in race mode, I love it and can't wait to do it again. Now a days, I have to take it a little slower and am enjoying being out in the woods on my bike. I think it's all about balance. And there are definitely days when I'd love to get rid of Mr. Din-a-ling (my heart rate monitor) but that's a big :nope: right now. :p

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yep. For me riding is *just* about fun.

Except commuting to work. That's not fun. It's $$ savings and exercise. I save a little gas money *and* I get a twice a day hour long workout.

I wouldn't commute if I could get out on dirt more often for my exercise. :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
It's definitely all about fun for me. The main reason I train is so I can go on longer rides without bonking. Racing is fun for me too, and when I'm racing I go as fast as I can, but really it's all about fun.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I guess I do both. Racing is fun for me...pure fun. Going fast is fun for me, a different fun. It's scare myself sh!tless fun! :) When I go out after work I can just cruise but I'm still going fast. I guess my point is...for me, fast is fun.