Quantcast

Slow wheels

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The wheels on my new bike feel dog slow...it's like pedaling through sand. They're not any heavier than my previous wheels, but daaaamn. Whenever I get up and mash it's like someone applied rubber cement to the tires. Could this be owing to stiffness? They don't feel like they flex a lot under acceleration. The tires are the same as my last bike, so that's ruled out, and the bike itself is about 5 lbs lighter than the last one. Why the fvck does it feel so slow?

Wheels in question are 32h Ambrosio Evolutions laced to Campy Centaurs. I'm pretty sure they're straight gauge spokes...Would a relacing help? Or maybe different rims?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes, feeling is not very scientific. I just think you are getting old Blue :)

I don't think my wheels are slow but man I love fancy expensive wheelsets. Ever since I got my 99 CrossMax and they transformed my bike to a rocket ship.

Last edited:

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
problems with the hub bearings? or maybe you need to loose weight? enough air in the tires?

32h rims shouldn't be flexy, but maybe if the spokes are wrong it could make it feel sluggish.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
problems with the hub bearings? or maybe you need to loose weight? enough air in the tires?

32h rims shouldn't be flexy, but maybe if the spokes are wrong it could make it feel sluggish.
The hubs are outstanding. I DO need to loose (sic) weight, but I doubt I gained 20 lbs in the space of a week...and yes, enough air. Nothing is rubbing. The frame is far stiffer than my last. I don't get it.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
The hubs are outstanding. I DO need to loose (sic) weight, but I doubt I gained 20 lbs in the space of a week...and yes, enough air. Nothing is rubbing. The frame is far stiffer than my last. I don't get it.
Is the wheel flexing and rubbing the brake pad?

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
well if your not a fat ass, and the hubs are ok and tire pressure then all i can think of is rim flex caused by either wimpy rims, wimpy spokes or a combo of the 2. possible the rims are rubbing against the brake pads so maybe try to loosen the brakes and try a simple sprint somewhere safe to check it out.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
well if your not a fat ass, and the hubs are ok and tire pressure then all i can think of is rim flex caused by either wimpy rims, wimpy spokes or a combo of the 2. possible the rims are rubbing against the brake pads so maybe try to loosen the brakes and try a simple sprint somewhere safe to check it out.
I'm thinking you're right in the combo of wimpy spokes/wimpy rims. Pretty sure they're just 14g spokes laced to these relatively unheard of rims with no profile at all. I'm not massive (175lbs), but I put down a lot of power, this might be leading to wheel unhappiness.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
ed: Landis? Really? I saw him in the ToU and he looked HAGGARD.
Hopeful thinking :) Maybe if he gets on the Shack he'll be motivated to get his a** in shape and kill the Euros again.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just open up the brake pads to test the theory. Check for frame rub too. Also make sure the QR is tight and the wheel isn't slipping in the dropouts.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
So it IS the wheels...massive amounts of deflection going on under load. I thought I'd ruled out brake rubbing after I'd opened them up at the caliper and lever, but turns out that wasn't enough. The wheel was rubbing ever so slightly, and it still slightly brushes the frame under heavy torque. In addition to this, the flex devours momentum...

Now I am faced with a question: Is the fault the rim, the spokes, the builder, or all three? The rim looks like this:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Make sure the spokes under tension with torque have the heads in or out the same on both sides. If not the wheel will always move no matter how well they are tensioned.