Quantcast

SLR camera lenses

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I am intersted in buying two new (or maybe even used) camera lenses for my nikon D50. Camera currently just has one 18-55mm lense, but i am interested in a telephoto (somthing up to 200mm) and a wide angle or maybe fish eye (non zoom). Auto focus isnt important and i want somthing that isnt going to break my bank yet that will give good image results, any suggestions?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
mack said:
I am intersted in buying two new (or maybe even used) camera lenses for my nikon D50. Camera currently just has one 18-55mm lense, but i am interested in a telephoto (somthing up to 200mm) and a wide angle or maybe fish eye (non zoom). Auto focus isnt important and i want somthing that isnt going to break my bank yet that will give good image results, any suggestions?
check out toshi's thread...i've been mining the photog-heads there for a while, as i'm in the same position. i bought the 70-200mm f/4 lens which is due in on wed. still wondering what wide angle lens i am gonna get.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Don't know what your price range is but I also use Nikon digital cameras (D70 and D100). With the 18-70 that came w/ the D70, I got the 80-200 f/2.8. Good lens for low light situations. For a fish-eye I picked up a 10.5mm f/2.8. The fish-eye is made specifically for Nikon DSLR's. Both are really nice.

I have a 70-300 f/4.5, but found that it wasn't so good. Optics aren't the greatest and in the 300mm mode, it looked kinda soft.

Spend the extra on auto-focus lenses - it's worth it. I have non-af lenses that I've used w/ the cameras and it's not the same.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Five said:
What is considered expensive? More than $1000?
for me it is! but not for others i am sure. it's about twice the cost for the f/4 lens, and since i am trying to build my glass collection, i figured an extra stop wasn't worth the $ i could spend on another lens.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
The lens is less than $1000 so yeah in some people's book - expensive. For me it was worth the extra. Glass is better too.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
narlus said:
f2.8 lens is big, heavy and expensive!
I can't deal with anything slower than that if I want to take pics of any of the cool parts of our trails with someone riding. I have a 50mm f2.0 that is too slow at times...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i don't have a boat i can snap photos from; how about the city bus?

btw, if a f/2 lens isn't fast enough, then i guess high ISO and/or flash is yr only hope?

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
For a wide angle on a budget, you can check out the Tokina 12-24mm f/4. I recently picked one up, and love it. great lens with a good build quality, better than a Tamron or Sigma, thats for sure!

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
narlus said:
i don't have a boat i can snap photos from; how about the city bus?

btw, if a f/2 lens isn't fast enough, then i guess high ISO and/or flash is yr only hope?
There are faster lenses out there. Used 50mm f1.7 are decently common for the cameras that I have so I could get one of those. The thing that sucks is that I'm already carrying enough weight (I rock early 80's film jobbies - the ones you can pound a nail with) with just my camera and lense - a flash is heavy and I kind of dislike the pics that they create.

More of my problem is that I kinda suck at action pics...I just dont care to take the time to do it well enough and my equipment cant pick up the slack.

I'd like to get a 20D or something similar for action type stuff and keep the film equipment for the artsy type stuff that I like to do.

f1.0:
http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/lenses/35mm-primes/canon/PRD_83381_3111crx.aspx
I've heard of a f0.8, but I'm not sure if it was just intraweb-speculation or not.