Quantcast

SLR Saddle ...How's my ass?

Oct 14, 2007
I was thinking of using a slr saddle for dh...man that thing is light...only 135g.... and it comes in yellow...you know how us brothers are we like that gold...but I mean anybody have any experience with road saddles.... how's my ass gonna hold up?

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Go with an SDG I-Fly and I-beam post. The saddle I know is 145g. With the lighter I-beam post you'll come out a little lighter, maybe cheaper, more comfortable, and definitely more durable. I-beam rocks.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I'm kind of afraid to go w/ an SLR just from the standpoint that it would hurt like hell to get nailed by one in the middle of a crash...not that many of the other parts of the bike striking me would be a tickle-fest.

I've been using a tri saddle this last year and I really like it. Still firm, but has a longer and wider nose which is easier to lean on/hook onto in the corners.

Then again, saddles always have been and always will be a person-to-person thing.

pyynö

Chimp
May 6, 2006
Finland
I have also been thinking about SLR for dh, but it seems a little "thin" to lean against in corners or to get banged by it in the innerthighs.
I'm currently running Fizik Pave

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10076

same shape but different model( I recon mine is a lot ligter!!!)

The problem is the V-shape in the rear of the saddle. My riding shorts have got tangled in it! Not a nice thing to get stuck on the left- or rightside of your bike whilst trying to tacle a rockgarden...

pyynö

Chimp
May 6, 2006
Finland
Ok, Just came from riding. My Pave is done. Finished.
I overshot a landing from a drop and slipped a foot.
The rails bent and the seat came of from the rails. Myself is ok and the landing otherwise also :)
Thanks to my JohnHorse Monday!
Anyway my point is:Steer clear of these "V-type" saddles. :monkeydance:

Oct 14, 2007
pyynö;2710082 said:
I have also been thinking about SLR for dh, but it seems a little "thin" to lean against in corners or to get banged by it in the innerthighs.
I'm currently running Fizik Pave

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10076

same shape but different model( I recon mine is a lot ligter!!!)

The problem is the V-shape in the rear of the saddle. My riding shorts have got tangled in it! Not a nice thing to get stuck on the left- or rightside of your bike whilst trying to tacle a rockgarden...
its twice the weight as the slr

pyynö

Chimp
May 6, 2006
Finland
Hmmm. I somehow seem to remember my recently passed Pave to have tipped the scale only up to ~190G. I'll scavenge the remains and head into the supermarket vegetablescale.

Brooks is a classic, well worth getting beaten up for! :D:D

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I've got an SLR on my road bike and I like it, but for DH? I wouldn't. You'll trash the saddle first crash. The I-Beam seats are basically a copy of the SLR shape, they're cheaper and the I-Beam is fairly light

pyynö

Chimp
May 6, 2006
Finland
And also I was thinking, evetually as all saddles do break, I-beams tend to break in a "milder" manner? ,seen only a couple. Compared to two hard metal rods capable of
going Dr H. Lector to your intestants, liver etc.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Way too pointy. I bent a Titec seatpost forward when I caught the sharp back end of the SLR in the fufta region coming up short on a bigger double, where I had gotten behind the seat trying to save it. Strangely only the rails on the saddle were slightly bent.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
pyynö;2710213 said:
And also I was thinking, evetually as all saddles do break, I-beams tend to break in a "milder" manner? ,seen only a couple. Compared to two hard metal rods capable of
going Dr H. Lector to your intestants, liver etc.
I had a larger friend (200 lbs or so) who busted an I-beam seat in a DH race, it broke where it was clamped and fell off. I guess a big post sticking up is better than two ti rails.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I've snapped an ibeam before, I wont be using them again until they put a reinforcing strip of metal in or something, that plastic was wayyyy to brittle. This was when they first came out though...

pyynö

Chimp
May 6, 2006
Finland
I guess a big post sticking up is better than two ti rails.
Ok. "done for the day" situation anyway.
I have just seen 2 which have "collapsed" not torn off totally. (I-beam)

I weigted the Pave again. It seems I cannot operate a scale :clapping:
The whopping result 300G! and the +some small plastic trinkets which got scattered to the slope.

Searching for a new seat. . . . . .

I allready have a Thomson post so no i-beam for me.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm an I-beam fan. They were updated some time ago, so if you busted one of the originals it's probably worth giving them another go.

I ran the I-fly / I-beam combo all season (plenty of races, crashes, you name it), and the seat and post are still going strong after the bike was moved on.

The posts weigh about the same as their thomson counterpart for a given size, but the weight saving is in the saddles. The I-fly weighed 120g for me, as listed on weightweenies.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
^^ thats a nice looking saddle....I dig their brakes coming out

Oct 19, 2001
I rode for a couple months on an SLR, super comfy saddle, but the nose did dig in a bit on crashes, etc. The biggest problem that I had with it was that the rails are really not designed to stand up to DH level abuse. Snapped a rail half way through the season.

I spent this season on an I-beam I-FLY, ultra light weight and seemed to stand up to everything I threw at it.

Another light weight but super durable railed saddle is the Tioga MS-Light seat. It is 185g with super strong sro moly rails. Downfalls of it are that it is quite stiff and not the most comfortable, plus it is a little short.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I was thinking of using a slr saddle for dh...man that thing is light...only 135g.... and it comes in yellow...you know how us brothers are we like that gold...but I mean anybody have any experience with road saddles.... how's my ass gonna hold up?
Since it is a road seat it is designed to be up your ass not on it:shocked:

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
been rocking an slr saddle for a season now. only had one really bad encounter at snowshoe, it felt like i pinch flatted my nuts. But its plenty comfortable for the small amount of time I actually spend on it.

And for the record its actually 141g