Quantcast

SLR users, what is in your arsenal?

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I don't know if the 20D does either. They have a specific list of bodies that you have to have 2 of. Neither the 20D or 10D is listed as far as I can tell. Its a serious question! Trying to figure out if I can apply as well.
:)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Canon Rebel Ti
Canon 50/1.8
Sigma 28-200/3.5
A crapload of film
When I travel I sometimes use my Canon QL-17GIII rangefinder (probably not the best for race shots:rolleyes: ).

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
BAH said:
I don't know if the 20D does either. They have a specific list of bodies that you have to have 2 of. Neither the 20D or 10D is listed as far as I can tell. Its a serious question! Trying to figure out if I can apply as well.
:)
So its like the rich get richer and the poor get poorer kind of thing? Gotta have money to make it :evil:

I'm new to this game and dont have 2 bodies nor am I a pro...hahhah

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BAH said:
does a 10D count as EOS3 and above?
I have been a cps member for over a year. Each country has different requirements I believe. I had to send them 3 tearsheets with credit, 3 letters from clients (not the same as the tear sheets), 3 non printed samples as well as professional credentials (MBPA in this case).

Edit; Oh I also had to send them the invoices for those 3 printed jobs or the 3 letter clients.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Transcend said:
I have been a cps member for over a year. Each country has different requirements I believe. I had to send them 3 tearsheets with credit, 3 letters from clients (not the same as the tear sheets), 3 non printed samples as well as professional credentials (MBPA in this case).

Edit; Oh I also had to send them the invoices for those 3 printed jobs or the 3 letter clients.

Hmm, I have all kinds of tearsheets and all that other stuff, but one of the first requirements for the US site was 2 EOS3 and above bodies. Anything over the 20D is overkill for what I do so it looks like I am not going to be a Canon Professional :)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BAH said:
Hmm, I have all kinds of tearsheets and all that other stuff, but one of the first requirements for the US site was 2 EOS3 and above bodies. Anything over the 20D is overkill for what I do so it looks like I am not going to be a Canon Professional :)
Well, at least the US HAS a site. I had to go into canon here in Montreal to get the paperwork. It is pretty simple though, no more gear crazy requirements really. Had to own more then one body (10d, 20d, 30d 5d), and one pro body. I think that is pretty inline with what a lot of pros are now using. 1dmk2 + 5d etc. Gives you different crops, a backup and amazing image quality.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
I guess I'm one of the few that are of the thinking - if it ain't broke don't fix it. I can afford to get real crazy with gear now but my 20D's make me completely happy and I am successful with them so I don't see the point of buying every new model without a significant upgrade. I'm not in this business to spend money on camera gear :)

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I will be bringing:
20D
70-200 2.8L
18-55 kit
28-135 IS
50 1.8
580EX
420EX
3 batteries
1.5 gig of mem. and my laptop
all in my lowepro minitrekker AW, I hope I wont have to use the AW
I am thinking of renting a lens, what do you guys think? 16-35 2.8, 10-22, 15 fish?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
since this photog thread is pretty active, i'll toss out a question. i'm looking to get a wide angle lens, and these are in consideration:

manufacturer focal length aperture range
canon 10-22 3.5-4.5
sigma 10-20 4-5.6
tokina 12-24 4
tamron 17-35 2.8-4
canon 24 2.8
canon 17-40 4

this for a 1.6x crop body.

recommendations?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BAH said:
I guess I'm one of the few that are of the thinking - if it ain't broke don't fix it. I can afford to get real crazy with gear now but my 20D's make me completely happy and I am successful with them so I don't see the point of buying every new model without a significant upgrade. I'm not in this business to spend money on camera gear :)
I am the same way (although I just got in from a camera store anyways). I got the 1d as I have a few contracts shooting football, and the 10d AF just wan't up to the task, neither was the metering.

That said, I love the pictures that the 10d makes. Super smooth and contrasty, no matter the glass. It simply couldn't keep up AF wise, especially with a ball carrier headed directly towards you.

The upgrade was 10d to 1dmk2 was clear, and it made a huge difference in my images (in my opinion). the keeper % went way, way up after I learned to use the 1d to it's potential.

For 2006, Canon had dropped ALL gear requirements apparently. I called to ask about borrowing a 600 and they told me you simply had to show a few more tearsheets and work, and you were in. Maybe the US will follow? I think they realize that many guys are shooting without 19 billion dollars worth of gear.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
narlus said:
since this photog thread is pretty active, i'll toss out a question. i'm looking to get a wide angle lens, and these are in consideration:

manufacturer focal length aperture range
canon 10-22 3.5-4.5
sigma 10-20 4-5.6
tokina 12-24 4
tamron 17-35 2.8-4
canon 24 2.8
canon 17-40 4

this for a 1.6x crop body.

recommendations?
I have a 17-40 and love it, for what it's worth. I have only tried the 16-35 besides this one and wasn't super impressed for the extra $1000. I later read some reviews that agreed, it seems to be severly lacking in some areas.

The 10-22 I'd stay away from simply due to being EFS, and if you ever upgrade bodies it is possible it won't be compatible. I guess the same could be said for EF, but that has been around for a good 25 years or so now and is compatible on every single canon ef body.

On the flipside, it DOES offer a very wide angle shot, something that is rare on a 1.6 crop.

I haven't tried the off brand ones, what are the prices like? Some sigma stuff is pretty damn close in quality to the top of the line canon glass. Hell, the sigma macro stuff seems to surpass the stock canon and is pretty much an out and out tie with the canon L macro.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Transcend said:
I haven't tried the off brand ones, what are the prices like? Some sigma stuff is pretty damn close in quality to the top of the line canon glass. Hell, the sigma macro stuff seems to surpass the stock canon and is pretty much an out and out tie with the canon L macro.
best prices for the lenses:

canon 10-22 (640)
sigma 10-20 (470)
tokina 12-24 (480)
tamron 17-35 (450)
canon 24 prime (290)
canon 17-40 (630)

transcend, at this point i am not too worried about owning EF-S lenses...this is my 1st DSLR and will likely have it for a while. i won't be buying an additional back anytime soon either, and if i eventually do, i can either keep the 350D as a backup or sell the gear and recoup some $.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
narlus said:

canon 10-22 (640)
sigma 10-20 (470)
tokina 12-24 (480)
tamron 17-35 (450)
canon 24 prime (290)
canon 17-40 (630)

transcend, at this point i am not too worried about owning EF-S lenses...this is my 1st DSLR and will likely have it for a while. i won't be buying an additional back anytime soon either, and if i eventually do, i can either keep the 350D as a backup or sell the gear and recoup some $.
Gotcha, I don't have much experience with EFS stuff simply because none of my bodies can handle it anyways. If money isn't really a concern, and you don't want super wide, I'd say get the 17-40 and be done with it. It is a great lens. Contrasty, good color, good sharpness.

I have never found myself wanting 2.8 on that lens, as I am usually close enough that I am using flash when I use it. Obviously for landscapes and such it coudl make a difference, but you would normally stop down on those anyways for max DOF.

But $200 is a huge difference vs the sigma (is that efs or "digital style?). I would personally not get the 24 prime, as I want a little bit of adjustability at that range to help with cropping and such. It easier to back off by 1 foot and then zoom in and not risk getting hit with a handlebar, foot, elbow etc.

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
narlus said:

canon 10-22 (640)
sigma 10-20 (470)
tokina 12-24 (480)
tamron 17-35 (450)
canon 24 prime (290)
canon 17-40 (630)

I have the Tokina 12-24(19mm-38mm), and I have to say, that is definitely the best built of the off brand lenses. It has definitely become my favorite of lenses if I just want to go out and dink around a bit....Glass is good, the AF is a bit on the slow side, but not too bad. I certainly don't find that I miss shots because of it...If you are on a budget and want a good wide lens, try one out at your local camera shop..

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I just got a Hoya SuperHMC Uv filter. I want a polarized one for water. Are the hoya Green series ir standard still good? or should I just scrounge for more money and get a HMC?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Most standard Canon L lenses are 77mm BTW. It helps if you can share stuff across lenses, that's for sure. I have to pick up a new ND filter in 77mm, that's why I headed off to the cam store before.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
maxyedor said:
Their not that much more.
a couple hundred for a polarizer and UV isn't what i consider cheap.

transcend, i've only got filters for the 70-200 (which is 67 i think; regardless, i know it's not 77)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
narlus said:
a couple hundred for a polarizer and UV isn't what i consider cheap.

transcend, i've only got filters for the 70-200 (which is 67 i think; regardless, i know it's not 77)
70-200 2.8 is 77mm, 300 f4 is 77mm, 17-40 is 77mm, 24-70 (i think) is 77mm. There are a few more as well I believe 16-35, 400 5.6 etc.

The 70-200 f4 is indeed 67mm.:) The 70-200 f4 is a rarity in the canon lineup I guess.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BW is about $240, Heliopan's are about $275/$335 depending if you want linear or circular. Definately not cheap, that is for sure. At least you can then share it between lenses if you get a bunch of L stuff or other similiarly shaped glass.