Quantcast

Small bike for a big boy?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
(aka do 20" BMx bikes and 6'4" riders mix?)

:help: Title pretty much says it all, except for the fact that I could use some suggestions on a relatively inexpensive bike that I will use to give park and urban riding a shot. I will be beating on the thing, so I'd prefer a steel frame.

Any thoughts on whether I should go with a 24" instead?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
plenty of tall riders ride 20inch bikes.

just get a 21 or longer frame.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
The short answer to your question regarding your height and riding 20 inch bike is yes, they do mix. There are a ton of very tall rippers that ride 20's... Matt Berringer, Magila, and a whole host of others are that tall or taller. Get a bike with a long top tube, run a set of decent sized bars (Slams are popular again, for good reason), and set up your bike for your size. Mount the stem upright instead of upside down, put a few spacers under the stem, and run the rear wheel farther back in the dropouts. You'll be fine. Of course, if you are new to riding 20" bikes, they will feel very small, and very very quick.

The other option is to get a bmxish 24" bike, such as a Tonic Fall Guy or Union Molly Maguire. Both are about the closest think to the handling of a bmx bike you can get, but in a "bigger" and more forgiving setup. There's always a 24" cruiser if you want bigger wheels but don't have the cash to get one of the bikes I've listed above.

Hope this helps.

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
i have a friend who is 6 5 and rides a flatland bike with a 19 in tt and a zero reach barstem setup and a zero offset fork...

That said some tall guys ride 20's fine, but u might be more comfortable on a 24 inch.