Quantcast

Small Brown Bike - USB bike check

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Lighter tires, a ti spindle or at least the profile hollow cromo spindle and the pivotal post and seat will drop a lot of weight.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Lighter tires, a ti spindle or at least the profile hollow cromo spindle and the pivotal post and seat will drop a lot of weight.
Not sure if I can give up the big tires quite yet but I am anxious to see what those KHE's look like in person, the size and how they perform on dirt.

I'm rocking a FSA Ti spindle - hollow and was cheap when I bought it about 5 years ago.

Pivotal post and seat will be tried although I might miss that paisley Demolition :)

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
~5.57 is SICK for a 24" frame that is solid for street! That's on par with some of the lighter bmx frames out there, but stout enough for susp. fork and larger wheel! Hot Pants!

If I remember correctly (man I really should write all this stuff down), when I weighed mine last it was just over 6lb ~2-3oz or so I believe, but that was with the Solid headset cups pressed in, as well as after the pivotal chunk welded on and a thick coat of bbq powdercoat!

And I never thought about it, but good point don, the Gen. 2's must be a hair heavier than the Gen. 1's actually, with their wider chainstay tube/yoke intersection there....
I'm still in love with the Gen 1's lines, without the offset dropped headtube for susp. fork clearance, I personally like the spaced out triangle better on the Gen 1... although I've thought of running a Pike/Duke before and this would cause problems more than likely.

Really, 29.5lb isn't bad either for what you've got there, I don't think there's much you really should/need to change actually.

But, if it were something you were looking into, the new front tire would be a great place to start, esp. if you could ever source a Tabletop these days, it could drop you a good amount of weight, at least a half-lb +

seat and post... eh, I don't know how much you'd drop there really. Thomson and eccd or something... or pivotal. You don't really need a stump either, so you could score a regular old macneil pivotal post for cheap, I've actually got one I could get you if you were interested, but I don't know if it would be long enough, I could measure it if you wanted....

And I kind of think how you run it set-up like that is cool actually, your own personal style, how we can kind of tell it's "don's" USB with the "bigger" (call that "big" these days, haha) sprocket on there! But if you were to drop down to like 25:11 you could lose the weight in those components, not to mention drop quite a few chain-links too.... and I've got a profile 11t 1pc chromo driver and a 25t superstar sprocket just sitting around if you ever were interested. ;)

keep us updated on any fork mods you try to pull too... I always like to see'em all shaved and clean.... been thinking of having my old brown lowers powdercoated black too, kind of like usb1's... I guess opposite of where you were going with yours though.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
keep us updated on any fork mods you try to pull too... I always like to see'em all shaved and clean.... been thinking of having my old brown lowers powdercoated black too, kind of like usb1's... I guess opposite of where you were going with yours though.
you mean kinda like mine? i'm the OG with the all black shaved lowers. Troy (usb1) is a copycat and he knows it, he saw mine and wanted it done too! ;) ;) :monkeydance:

usb1

Chimp
Mar 4, 2006
vas, not to bust ur bubble i was talking about doing that way before u got urs so stop wit the copycat stuff

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
vas, not to bust ur bubble i was talking about doing that way before u got urs so stop wit the copycat stuff
its one thing to be talking about it and another to be being about it ;)
just busin your balls man, i'm sure jesus thought of it before either one of us.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I guess it just shows ya dudes from NYC are always ahead of everyone else. :)

That fork will be my next project - again want to get warmer weather so it doesn't hurt when I work out in the garage shop.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
its one thing to be talking about it and another to be being about it ;)
just busin your balls man, i'm sure jesus thought of it before either one of us.
haha, hey now! I realize it's all in jest but I did that two years ago on my brown DJ2, did it when I had the fork on my grey eastern26 DJ-4 proto. Brad got that idea from mine long before he smoothed the black one, heck, before the 4X fork even existed. Love to see it everytime though, and I gotta say, that all black 4X is one of the smoothest examples I've seen. I'm sick of the giant big bolt-on crown on my DJ2.

Hey don, just wondering if you're gonna fasten down that loose snake cable with a zip tie or anything?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Satori-

Wanted to follow up on a few things you mentioned...

Yeah, I agree w/ the weight of the build actually being pretty damn fine for a 24" DJ/Park rig.

I'll probably try to get a Tabletop tire as they still look pretty big but lighter than the Holy Roller. And see what's up w/ the KHE this summer.

Drivetrain, I'm stoked on but thanks for the offer on the smaller setup. It feels good and from years of racing I can put a bit of torque down and just feel safter with the bigger stuff when and if I ever need a power crank stroke. Plus I dig the mid-size looks too.

I agree, it has a trail style look to it, kinda like a 24" version of Doyle's and BF's bike with the seat a bit higher, fat tire up front, high bars, and long cable (and I'm keeping it without a zip tie - seems to work fine).

Like you said, the fork is the final piece of this puzzle - can't wait to get that setup real good.

~5.57 is SICK for a 24" frame that is solid for street! That's on par with some of the lighter bmx frames out there, but stout enough for susp. fork and larger wheel! Hot Pants!

If I remember correctly (man I really should write all this stuff down), when I weighed mine last it was just over 6lb ~2-3oz or so I believe, but that was with the Solid headset cups pressed in, as well as after the pivotal chunk welded on and a thick coat of bbq powdercoat!

And I never thought about it, but good point don, the Gen. 2's must be a hair heavier than the Gen. 1's actually, with their wider chainstay tube/yoke intersection there....
I'm still in love with the Gen 1's lines, without the offset dropped headtube for susp. fork clearance, I personally like the spaced out triangle better on the Gen 1... although I've thought of running a Pike/Duke before and this would cause problems more than likely.

Really, 29.5lb isn't bad either for what you've got there, I don't think there's much you really should/need to change actually.

But, if it were something you were looking into, the new front tire would be a great place to start, esp. if you could ever source a Tabletop these days, it could drop you a good amount of weight, at least a half-lb +

seat and post... eh, I don't know how much you'd drop there really. Thomson and eccd or something... or pivotal. You don't really need a stump either, so you could score a regular old macneil pivotal post for cheap, I've actually got one I could get you if you were interested, but I don't know if it would be long enough, I could measure it if you wanted....

And I kind of think how you run it set-up like that is cool actually, your own personal style, how we can kind of tell it's "don's" USB with the "bigger" (call that "big" these days, haha) sprocket on there! But if you were to drop down to like 25:11 you could lose the weight in those components, not to mention drop quite a few chain-links too.... and I've got a profile 11t 1pc chromo driver and a 25t superstar sprocket just sitting around if you ever were interested. ;)

usb1

Chimp
Mar 4, 2006
i got mine usb done to 26lbs from 30lbs, i am waiting to get the tabletop and khe tires so that might take off half lb or so i guess

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
as far as i know, its pretty impossble to order tabletops or KHE's at this point. a damn shame.

my tonic is at 26.5 without any major mods, could probably get it to 25 if i was to get wicked.