Quantcast

Small Business Question

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Umm, what do you use for accounting software?
Was it expensive and where you able to enter old data??

Please don't be shy my little bikers.:love:

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
I use Quickbooks Premier. Started with QB pro but Premier is so much better it's worth the extra.
I also learned the hard way a good CPA are worth their weight in gold too. It's not what ya make, it's how much of it you keep when the dust settles.

costs around 500 bucks for Premier and you can enter in data from as far back as you want.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
quickbooks here too. I started a new year when I first started using it. I did not enter prior data. I have paper for all that old stuff.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
geargrrl said:
quickbooks here too. I started a new year when I first started using it. I did not enter prior data. I have paper for all that old stuff.

Right now I'm keeping tabs in an excel spreadsheet.

Thing is, $100 is an incredible amount of money for me right now. $500 is rent.

Maybe if I pick it up QB by the end of the third quarter it will facilitate taxes in 2007...

I'm going to look into the different versions now.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Transcend said:
Excel, after working with quickbooks every few days for clients, I will never use it myself. It is a HUGE hassle.
I'm too small and poor right now to hire anyone.
But excel was something I was already familiar with and could easily manipulate. I want to be able to drill down into my data as much as possible with as much ease as possible.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Tame Ape said:
I'm too small and poor right now to hire anyone.
But excel was something I was already familiar with and could easily manipulate. I want to be able to drill down into my data as much as possible with as much ease as possible.
I'm using a combo of Excel and MS Money. i already had Money for personal, I just setup seperate accounts for the business end.

For the most part though, Excel rocks. Later I'll incorporate Access for most of the day to day crap.

BTW, quickbooks is $289 at Costco for the Premiere version.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Quickbooks Pro it is! I figure I can dump data into Excel to run whatever reports I need.
Thanks!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Tame Ape said:
Quickbooks Pro it is! I figure I can dump data into Excel to run whatever reports I need.
Thanks!

I don't think you'll be able to "dump data" from excel into QB. You'll probably need to enter a beginning balance for each type of account. Any historrical data might have to be entered a transaction at a time, unless they've done something new.

There's nothing wrong with using excel - the main thing is that you are keep good records that show you how your business is doing.

QB does have some annoyances. Among them to me is the 3 year rule... after three years they grandfather whatever version you have and force you to upgrade. While the various versions do a lot, sometimes they can be really hard to figure out and to make it do what you want it to do. My husband, who runs a consulting firm, gets really frustrated with the custom invoicing feature among other things.

I really like the ablity to email invoices and statements that look professional to my clients. Some of the newer versions intergrate with Word, that is new.

gg

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
geargrrl said:
I don't think you'll be able to "dump data" from excel into QB. You'll probably need to enter a beginning balance for each type of account. Any historrical data might have to be entered a transaction at a time, unless they've done something new.

There's nothing wrong with using excel - the main thing is that you are keep good records that show you how your business is doing.

QB does have some annoyances. Among them to me is the 3 year rule... after three years they grandfather whatever version you have and force you to upgrade. While the various versions do a lot, sometimes they can be really hard to figure out and to make it do what you want it to do. My husband, who runs a consulting firm, gets really frustrated with the custom invoicing feature among other things.

I really like the ablity to email invoices and statements that look professional to my clients. Some of the newer versions intergrate with Word, that is new.

gg
Thanks for the heads up. My plan is to manually enter the starting balance sheet and go from there. I am hoping to dump data FROM Quickbooks into excel to manipulate data to get the reports I'm looking for that aren't provided. I'm going to research options further. In all likely hood, to get everything I need and the option to add items in the future I might need a custom program writen.

Re/ 3-year licensing. Three years! I thought I was going to have to buy again every year, thats good news to me.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
mtnbrider said:
My always used Lotus. He likes it alot better than excel. I think he uses quick books too though.
Your father? Just curious, I don't know how old you are so I'm guessing...

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Tame Ape said:
Thanks for the heads up. My plan is to manually enter the starting balance sheet and go from there. I am hoping to dump data FROM Quickbooks into excel to manipulate data to get the reports I'm looking for that aren't provided. I'm going to research options further. In all likely hood, to get everything I need and the option to add items in the future I might need a custom program writen.

Re/ 3-year licensing. Three years! I thought I was going to have to buy again every year, thats good news to me.
Once you get familiar with QB, you should be able to create any kind of report you need from within the program. There are lots of ways to customize and filter reports.

I'd be really careful of quickbooks "classes". Many of them are put on by accounting firms that want to bring you in as clients.

gg

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I used Quicken at first but it's geared more for home than business and my accountant uses quickbooks. Both are very easy to use but quickbooks has better reporting options.