Quantcast

small compaines

eeeee

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
Hey,
Where do you guys rate the small brands like Chumba, Transition and Mondraker compared to the giant, spezalized, trek super massive brands. I mean if you were offered the choice between a small brand or a main stream one, what do you take? How much recept to do give the small companies? I think they should be given more support. They need more credit then they are given.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
well I have a Transition Covert that has taken almost 4 years of straight abuse. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a do-it-all trail bike.

My other two bikes are handmade here locally by an expert frame builder named Oscar (Simple Bicycle Co.)

So you could say that I prefer the small companies to big ones. I enjoy talking to the people who are building my bikes and knowing them. I try to give my money to local folks who I know put alot of effort into their bikes. Transition is blowing up these days and I hesitate to call them 'small' anymore. They're still cool cats and deserve all the recognition they've been receiving. Let the weekend warriors by the mass produced corporate bikes and ride something that stands out a bit is what I say!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The big companies are not evil monoliths. They spend the most money on advocacy and events because they can afford them.

As for their bikes, I don't think the quality is necessarily any better or worse. For the most part, most full suspension bikes are either made in Taiwan or their parts are sourced from there.

What you lose out on is customization but you gain in price.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i've always gone with the smaller company. for me i'd rather have something that's a bit unique. in some ways the smaller company can offer similar performance for less money.