Quantcast

Small Hydration Pack Suggestions?

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
The bottle cage on my bike is in a stupid area (under the down tube). I tried a hip pack but just couldn’t get used to it. Wearing my 15 year old Camelbak MULE on short 5-6 mile rides seems like overkill. Looking for something that holds a water bottle or two worth of water, a phone, wallet and keys. Nothing else.

I haven’t bought one of these since the Carter administration and have no idea what’s good and what to avoid.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
What hip pack did you try?

Camelbak makes a lumbar pack called the skyline that rides pretty well. I use it when riding out of town or on big summer rides. I've tried a whole slew of hip packs and haven't really fallen in love with any of them but I do like not having a pack covering my back!

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
It was the L.A. Make no mistake, it's extremely well made but wearing something around my waist just isn't for me personally. I get not liking a pack on your back but I think I'm willing to live with it now.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I forgot about those. They had some at the Vitorra booth at the Snowshoe world cup race. A little spendy, but maybe worth it? I'll dig into it. Thanks for posting it!

My wife actually has that model of CamelBak. Unfortunately, very little storage. Not even room for your phone, which is a shame because I like that price a lot better!

Edit: just tried and you can fit a phone but it ain’t easy.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am sort of in the same boat because I picked a dumb frame but I am going to give the Kriega Hydro 3 a whirl.
I think I have a 15yo MULE somewhere too, what an uncomfortable piece of shit that thing is!
1665190307906.png

Should have this pack soon, emailed them to see where it was made, it is made in Vietnam and has a 10yr warranty, sounds good to me.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
lol. i think i am the only person in my crew left with...my 15yo mule...on mountain rides. wore it today! i guess i can't shake the old times when bikes broke all the time and you needed to carry *everything* with you in the hills. locally i just run my water bottle. need to try someone's hip pack for a ride to see how i like it. when my old bike didn't have a cage i had one of the very small camelbaks. couldn't put anything in it other than water. never really got on with it. the kids use it on hikes sometimes now.

Last edited:

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
lol. i think i am the only person in my crew left with...my 15yo mule...on mountain rides. locally i just run my water bottle. need to try someone's hip pack for a ride to see how i like it. when my old bike didn't have a cage i had one of the very small camelbaks. couldn't put anything in it other than water. never really got on with it. the kids use it on hikes sometimes now.
If we meet up tomorrow I’ll bring my hip pack for you to try.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My 15 year old Mule is in the basement and hasn't been used in many years :p

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
lol. i think i am the only person in my crew left with...my 15yo mule...on mountain rides. wore it today! i guess i can't shake the old times when bikes broke all the time and you needed to carry *everything* with you in the hills. locally i just run my water bottle. need to try someone's hip pack for a ride to see how i like it. when my old bike didn't have a cage i had one of the very small camelbaks. couldn't put anything in it other than water. never really got on with it. the kids use it on hikes sometimes now.
Ha! I'm on the same exact boat as you. My 15yo Mule comes out with me every single time I go riding. Being the de facto tech guy of my crew doesn't help getting rid of it...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
One thing I noticed while doing the mountaineering/steep-ass hiking thing with a bike is a traditional camelback is way way nice to be able to rest the bike on over your head. Hip and low-rider packs give you nothing to rest the frame against and it's painful as hell after a few steps. I know there's an entire strap/harness thing you can buy for this...but that just seems like it's making shit needlessly complicated. The giant packs are kind of rare at this point though. I have one large "low-rider" type that I like for the longer distance stuff and I can fit plenty of food and water in it, somehow way more than older stuff. I got a nearly new MULE (I think that's the model) that I used about 5 times that I can't get rid of.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Was going to suggest the USWE. Those things are cool. I picked up a cheapo fanny pack that holds my phone, keys, and allen key, and a bottle in the frame and I am good to go. Have an osprey pack for longer rides. Let us know how the camelbak does

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The bottle cage on my bike is in a stupid area (under the down tube). I tried a hip pack but just couldn’t get used to it. Wearing my 15 year old Camelbak MULE on short 5-6 mile rides seems like overkill. Looking for something that holds a water bottle or two worth of water, a phone, wallet and keys. Nothing else.

I haven’t bought one of these since the Carter administration and have no idea what’s good and what to avoid.

Suggestions?
I have an extra Camelbak w/70oz bladder you can have. Not stinky or gross, barely used in fact. LMK.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I have an extra Camelbak w/70oz bladder you can have. Not stinky or gross, barely used in fact. LMK.
I appreciate that Nick! Very generous of you. I actually grabbed a Camelbak Chase the other day. I think it will work perfectly for the shorter rides near home. If nothing else it will taste better than my sand/dirt covered water bottle (again, what a dumb place to put a bottle cage).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'll probably go for one of those USWEs at some point for next year. I find it a little comical how some XC racers try to rely on water bottles. In some cases, it can work, if you have support, if you are that elite, etc., but I keep seeing more of those USWEs showing up where yeah, it's just more practical to carry water in that way. Not only do have the people that aren't as efficient as pros, but damn in some races there's never any flat smooth trail where you can take a damn bottle out of a holder. It's just the realization that I had a long time ago racing XC stuff. There's a couple gravel races where I can get by on a bottle or two, but that's about it, by and large I find them pretty ineffective for most riding. I do use them in the winter inside frame bags, but that's a bit different and if it's a long race, back to the camelback under the jacket.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
in that case if anyone could use a 70oz Camelback (minimalist) for you or your family, hit me up. It's snazzy yellow too, so instant credibility on the trails.
edit: cover shipping costs.

I appreciate that Nick! Very generous of you. I actually grabbed a Camelbak Chase the other day.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I really like the Kriega Hydro 3, it fits me really really well.

My upper body is wonky, coz bikes, and the Kriega has nice semi rigid straps that allow you to adjust the length at either end which means I can finally get equal weight on both shoulders and the pack still sits straight, awesome!

10yr warranty is great, stabby bits that poke me in the back are less great as is the Hydrapak bladder, they are junk, I'll sell that but I'd buy another Kriega in a heartbeat.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
camelbak chase has been my go to in the past year +. unlike backpacks the front straps hold the essentials. iphone, few snacks. easy access.
I'll have to look at that one in the store too, looks like I might be able to cram a can of bear spray in the front pocket.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I still ride with one 95% of the time as I either need to carry layers of clothes to prevent hypothermia or a bunch of water. Sometimes both.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That wouldn't be comfy. perhaps now that you're doing a camelback for water it can go on a water bottle cage.
Definitely don't want it on the bike. You want it on your person, in case you get knocked off the bike by a bear, or a moose.