Quantcast

Small Smart Phones

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Anyone have experience with small smart phones?

Why the fuck are we not making small phones any more? I have a computer and a tablet. I don't need to watch streaming movies on a huge screen on my phone or take high def video. I just wanna send some texts, read an email on occasion, use google maps, basic shit, but most importantly I need the damn thing to fit in my pocket. I want it to be easy to shove in my pack on a ride so if something happens I can call for help. I want it to be convenient to carry without some sort of man purse.

I currently rock a Galaxy Exibit (the cheap version of the original Galaxy) which is under 4.5 inches but it's getting on about 8 years old and I'm starting to have serious compatibility issues. I have a Nexus P6 as my second line but I can't bring myself to use it as my primary because it's huge and I have no doubts that if I take it out riding and eat shit it will be smashed into a million pieces.

When I search for small phones the shit that comes up are mostly around 5 inches (the iphone SE is actually really small but I ain't getting it cause fuck you Apple). Half of them don't have a headphone jack and half of them don't have micro SD storage, features that my dinosaur (tiny dinosaur? tinosaur?) phone has. How have we gone backwards? No one else wants a small phone that does all the basics and doesn't suck? It's 2017 where the fuck is my Dick Tracy communicator watch :rant:

Pic related. My current phone.

Last edited:

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
The spaghetti was so good. She hand formed the meat balls, she’s had lottsa practice.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
iphone SE isn't huge...
This. Current workphone is an iphone 5s. I really like the the handling of it. And since the SE is basically the same just with updated internals, it should be the best option out there. Investing in a waterproof case for ride/work should be mandatory, though.
Not sure what Android options are out there.

Edit: Well, of course the OT needs a ´droid.

Edit 2: Google told me taht Sony has a 4.7“ phone, called Sony Xperia compact.
https://www.sonymobile.com/ch-de/products/phones/xperia-xz1-compact/
There really isn‘t much out there smaller then this, besides the SE.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This. Current workphone is an iphone 5s. I really like the the handling of it. And since the SE is basically the same just with updated internals, it should be the best option out there. Investing in a waterproof case for ride/work should be mandatory, though.
Not sure what Android options are out there.
I have a 5S and the wife an SE. Her phone is noticeably thinner and lighter, besides being snappier due to the new guts.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I have a 5S and the wife an SE. Her phone is noticeably thinner and lighter, besides being snappier due to the new guts.
Oh, didn‘t know that. I will get a iphone 6s as workphone in a week. I would totally have taken the SE if I’ve had the choice, though. It‘s just comfortable as a portable device. Now that I have an ipad at home, there‘s no need for a larger phone imo.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My HTC Mini 2 was awesome, but they stopped supporting Android updates, so I had to move on. I went to the Nexus 5x, larger than I really wanted but small compared to the others out there and very cost effective.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
have you considered an iphone?

no but seriously, the small iphones pack serious punch in a small package. when I got rid of my case, I was amazed at how small my 6 was. Now I'm on a Note 8 because headphone jack and SD card, but being on apple for three years was no problemo. Android did a lot of catching up in those three years, but I wouldn't take another Android 4.0 phone if I had to pay for it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

no but seriously, the small iphones pack serious punch in a small package. when I got rid of my case, I was amazed at how small my 6 was.
Yeah, it's only way-bigger than the Iphone 4. I saw a guy pull out a 4 on the plane a few days ago. It looked like the zoolander picture above compared to my 6.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Other than it being an Apple product and needing to use iTunes, I'd also vote for the iPhone 5 SE. I recently moved my work phone from a 5S to 6 and the 6 sucks. Without a case, this thing is still too big and its literally like holding onto a wet noodle. The round edges are the dumbest thing ever, just waiting to jump out of my hands and onto the floor.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

no but seriously, the small iphones pack serious punch in a small package. when I got rid of my case, I was amazed at how small my 6 was
The iphone 6 is still about 5.5", I have it on record from multiple girls that 5.5" is not considered small.

Other than it being an Apple product and needing to use iTunes, I'd also vote for the iPhone 5 SE
I'd rather sport a phone lizard approved murse than be forced to click agree on the itunes user agreement. I've watched enough South Park to know what happens when you click agree on the itunes user agreement.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Pixel 1 and 2 = 5"
Cat S60 = 4.7 and buff as hell
Moto E4 = 5"
Sony Expeira = 5"
Sony Experia XZ1 compact = 4.6"

Not much else worth looking at really. Again, I love my 5x and will upgrade to the Pixel in a year or 2.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

no but seriously, the small iphones pack serious punch in a small package. when I got rid of my case, I was amazed at how small my 6 was. Now I'm on a Note 8 because headphone jack and SD card, but being on apple for three years was no problemo. Android did a lot of catching up in those three years, but I wouldn't take another Android 4.0 phone if I had to pay for it.
my note8 survived flying off the roof of my car at 50 mph encased in otterbox defender....no damage...

still need to spend a weekend figuring the fucking thing out....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
itunes is the worst piece of software ever and was one of the factors driving me back to android.

I know y'all are saying the six is a big phone, and it is, but it's thin and light. lighter than either my ipod touch, older android phones, or newer android phones (and my wife's newer iphone). I feel like any smaller, and you start to lose functionality.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
my note8 survived flying off the roof of my car at 50 mph encased in otterbox defender....no damage...

still need to spend a weekend figuring the fucking thing out....
that's good to hear. I'm terrified of dropping the thing, but I can't stand the brick cases.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that could be very cool when/if it leaves kickstarter. I want to get my kids a smart watch with GPS and kid-dad/mom/other kid calling, and that's it.

A more practical solution for OP is a beefy case and a smart watch. Bust out the phone for when you need it, use the watch for whatever you need to do during your ride that requires a phone. I used to always keep my phone in my hip pouch on my camelbak. then I realized I almost never used it and really would only want access to it in an emergency, so it stays tucked safely away in the bag itself now.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
that could be very cool when/if it leaves kickstarter. I want to get my kids a smart watch with GPS and kid-dad/mom/other kid calling, and that's it.

A more practical solution for OP is a beefy case and a smart watch. Bust out the phone for when you need it, use the watch for whatever you need to do during your ride that requires a phone. I used to always keep my phone in my hip pouch on my camelbak. then I realized I almost never used it and really would only want access to it in an emergency, so it stays tucked safely away in the bag itself now.
Garmin fenix5 anyone? You can even Strava with it. Not cheap, though.