Quantcast

small Socom and Swinger (with revox-design) - huge mounting problems

richy_a2r

Chimp
Dec 26, 2007
hi there,

i have the following problem: small-size socom, had a dhx 5, switched to a swinger x6 (revox-design). cause of the size "small" (the swinger has a huge piggybag), i can't mount the swinger the normal way (if i try, the piggybag is about 0.4 inch too long, cant even TRY to mount it this way), i have to mount it the other way 'round. got a 350lbs ti spring on it, and the problem is:

my spring "sits" on my top tube.

picture

what to do? (small) socoms are delivered with a revox as an option, so how can that be?

i need to abrade material from the first winding of my (200$ !!!!) spring to get the shock mounted correctly without the spring touching the frame. but i don't even know if that's enough.

can you help me? what's the solution?

thanks.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
You can order a small plastic spacer from say Go-Ride for like $2, and it will sit between the collar and the spring, and move it about an inch away, and then it should clear your frame.

richy_a2r

Chimp
Dec 26, 2007
couldn't find such an item on their site. wrote them a mail, hopefully they can help me with this.

greetings & thanks!

other ideas still welcome.

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
When you order an Avalanche shock with a Ti spring it comes with a special spring retainer that compensates for the shorter length of a Ti spring.

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/dhs225.html

Look at the spring retainer at the bottom of the shock in this pic.

Something like this for a swinger would solve the problem.

You could have an extension made for your existing spring collar. Something similar to the "performance adapters" that obtainium performance products use to adapt their 1.5 inner diameter springs to shocks with a smaller outer diameter.

http://www.obtainiumperformanceproducts.com/products.htm

FYI the performance adapter will not work as your spring will be 1.37" ID, the performance adapter is designed for a 1.5" ID spring. You'll most likely need to have a machinist make you something similar to a "performance adapter".