Quantcast

Small victory for cyclists?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What a bitch. I'm not in favor of the death penalty for anybody (that's an entirely different discussion), but if I was the judge (and this wasn't illegal,) I'd sentence her to ride the entire Tour de France circuit with a bunch of gay French cyclists. Hopefully it would teach her to tolerate gays, not hate on the French (or anyone else for that matter), enjoy cycling, and get her into shape. Plus, it would be excruciatingly difficult for a non-cyclist to pull of in any amount of time.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Good for a judge taking a cyclist death seriously. There have been several cyclist deaths in the portland area recently that have been brushed off as "just a terrible accident." I don't consider not checking your mirror before you merge and running someone over a terrible accident. It's negligence behind the wheel. In this case the driver was also driving a garbage truck with a suspended license, and like 8 counts of reckless driving on his record, yet the garbage company got into zero trouble for hiring a guy with a suspended license. Judges here also really like the "the sun was in my eyes so I continued to drive 55 mph and mow down a group of riders" excuses. If you can't see, slow the F down.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
If this bitch had been sober she probably would have walked. That sucks.
And if her victim just a pedestrian walking along, she probably would have been crucified. But if your on a bike somehow your asking for it.

Sad sad state of things.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Crap. This email from our local racing/cycling community mailing list just showed up in my inbox. Piss.

Firstly, please forgive the mass email -- I'm not in the habit of
sending them out and hope you'll forgive the faux pas and respect the intent of this email by not mass responding. Last night a friend was riding his bike to an appointment in NW (23rd and Pettygrove), and was run off the road, attempted to be crushed by the vehicle, assualted, threatened with a softball bat and punched in the face.

I'm writing this because I'm trying to get our own "amber" type alert
out among the cycling community here in Portland. I think we're all
aware of the increasing hostility toward cyclists out on the road and
want to encourage you all to help us stand up to it here with our own
form of community watch/community activism. While the cops were called and an incident report was made, the driver got away.

Thus, please keep a look out for a royal blue hummer missing its
plates. The aggressor was a balding man in his late thirties. If you
see this truck please call the police and report it immediately.
Please also pass this alert on to fellow cyclists and friends and have
them do the same.

Thank you and careful commuting/riding, Becca

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Update on the portland situation: The man accusing the hummer of running him down has come out today and explained in more detail what happened. Apparently, the cyclist rode past the hummer and he recalls at some point spitting. Currently weather in portland right now is arctic so imagine how much mucus comes out of your face during a ride on a cold day, and how any times you hock a ball of snot. So just a bit after passing this parked hummer, it guns for him and tries to run him down on the road, knocking him down and then the driver proceeds to try and run him over. The hummer stops, the driver gets out accuses the cyclist of intentionally spitting at his car and tries to assault him with a softball bat, then punches him in the face. So apparently his car's honor is worth more than a human life. Bizarre.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Update on the portland situation: The man accusing the hummer of running him down has come out today and explained in more detail what happened. Apparently, the cyclist rode past the hummer and he recalls at some point spitting. Currently weather in portland right now is arctic so imagine how much mucus comes out of your face during a ride on a cold day, and how any times you hock a ball of snot. So just a bit after passing this parked hummer, it guns for him and tries to run him down on the road, knocking him down and then the driver proceeds to try and run him over. The hummer stops, the driver gets out accuses the cyclist of intentionally spitting at his car and tries to assault him with a softball bat, then punches him in the face. So apparently his car's honor is worth more than a human life. Bizarre.
It is a Hummer. The driver is using it to compensate, so it is like someone spat directly on his junk. Still not excusable but a little easier to understand once you realize the driver has no actual penis.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It is a Hummer. The driver is using it to compensate, so it is like someone spat directly on his junk. Still not excusable but a little easier to understand once you realize the driver has no actual penis.
:clapping:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
This is why I don't own a hand gun.

My mom's riding partner was struck from behind two miles from her home and killed instantly. The driver claimed he just reached over to the passenger seat for something and boom. The bastard was on a straight away. It of course went to court and nothing happened. No jail time , no revoked license. And yes he was sober. This happened in NC, a state that is NOT cyclist friendly. If she had been walking along side the road, he would probably would have gone to jail.

It infuriates me to no end that there are jackasses out there that think if you ride a bike on the road that your life is some how less valuable than theirs. They get so bent out of shape for being inconvenienced by a second out of their precious time crunched lives that the feel justified for ending someone's life.

Unfortunately, hitting a cyclist with a car is not taken as seriously as someone who shoots or other wise assaults a person. When in this country will people become more aware and open minded about sharing the road with non-motorized vehicles?

So, for that bitch that got 10.5 years for killing a cyclist, I say FVCK TOU AND BURN IN HELL YOU EVIL SACK OF WASTED BIO PLASM!!!
And I hope she hasn't reproduced.