Quantcast

Small victory over discrimination! [skateparks]

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/cityregion/19032069-41/story.csp

After bike advocates raised money for the park, the city banned bikes "until the concrete cures". FIVE YEARS LATER, a local shop owner and some bikers organized and got the city to "temporarily" lift the ban. Under the conditions that the bikers don't litter, or swear, and cooperate with the skaters. And use plastic pegs and pedals.

While this is a good thing, it still pisses me off a little. Do skaters have to cover their trucks with plastic? What about the litter they strew everyplace? These issues should be addressed to ANYONE that uses the park.

I liked the fact that the police seemed to be in favor of letting the bikes into the park. They actually seem to have better things to do!
If you live where bikes are discriminated against, do something about it. Organize a group and talk to the city. Maybe someday parks will all be built for everyone to use.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sh*t like this makes me wanna save my pennies, then open up a really dope park that's bikes only. But then I realized that that would be no better than this crap.

So I'll stick with my plan of buying a farm, converting the barn to a big indoor pool, and a bulldozer for jumps and trails outdoors.

BeerMe

Monkey
Apr 18, 2008
FOCO NOCO
25lbs? That must be a little kid's sk8pk bike. ;)
Pegs can damage the tranny, but the Denver sk8pk paints "no pegs" signs all over the concrete lips.
There are occasionally a few people that obey that rule, but they can usually shred any grind/slide variation without pegs anyway. And it's usually only little skater punks bitching at the top of their lungs to not use pegs, to which everyone on a bike just ignores. It's a pretty ridiculous rule considering I can cause more damage to the concrete by just dropping my bike on it from waist high.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . It's a pretty ridiculous rule considering I can cause more damage to the concrete by just dropping my bike on it from waist high.
not a great argument. that just further proves bikes shouldnt be in a skatepark. (or that they need to have plastic pedals and plastic bar ends in addition to plastic pegs, or no pegs).

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
yea it's a fine line we tread at parks. I see the arguements that bikes can cause damage to the concrete with or without pegs. also with coalitions between bikes and skateboards are pretty onesided. A good amount of the bikers at my park ride pretty damn fast too without brakes so it's hard to argue with skaters.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
At places with lots of users, and conflicts, they should consider scheduling different hours for bikes and skaters.
Parks should be built from the get-go with bikes in mind. A chunk of angle iron below copings and on grind boxes solves the problem real fast.
The city I live in figured out real fast that if they build parks, it takes a lot of the pressure off of the streets, and there ends up being a lot less damage done to public and private property. We now have more parks in a town of a little over 100,000 than any other city in the US.
Let's be realistic, how many of you have actually seen well built parks torn up by bikes?
If so, how hard would it be to just fix it once in a while?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
At places with lots of users, and conflicts, they should consider scheduling different hours for bikes and skaters.
Parks should be built from the get-go with bikes in mind. A chunk of angle iron below copings and on grind boxes solves the problem real fast.
The city I live in figured out real fast that if they build parks, it takes a lot of the pressure off of the streets, and there ends up being a lot less damage done to public and private property. We now have more parks in a town of a little over 100,000 than any other city in the US.
Let's be realistic, how many of you have actually seen well built parks torn up by bikes?

Dude i hear you.... if i had a rad park in my city, i'd want to ride it too. thing is, you gotta work with skaters from the start and get them to be okay with including bikes. never mistake: the "discrimination" is not by the City. it's by the skaters. Cities just do what seems 'reasonable' and offends the least number of important organized constituents. they don't have grudge against bmx; it's the skaters that do.

at first i didn't agree with it, but a while back taj wrote an article where he said something to the effect of bikers demonstrating/protesting to get access to skateparks is like barging someone's trails. if the skateboarders get the park built, then bikers want to fight their way in, it's kinda lame.

the bigger picture is bikers need to get together to get their own bike parks built. it's hard for sure. cities may say they don't have the money. but in the end, the type of park bmx'ers or mtb'ers want to ride is generally going to be differently designed than the typical skatepark.

don't fight over crumbs. get organized and demand your own piece of the pie. heh heh.

that said, i still get it. if bikers can be chill enough and observe various rules or compromises they may be able to ride with skaters in public skateparks. it happens all over the country.

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
These are big reasons why I ride street most of the time.... I'd rather deal with security guards riding street and being creative in what I ride and what I do than punka** kids at the park and toughguys at the trails who are idiots about what size your wheels are and/or some other random sillyness... Don't get me wrong, I will hit a nearby park at 730am during the week to avoid all the bs and evenride with some cool dudes on some stuff that was built on dirt, but the dirt and park scene aren't my bag. Always down to help build though, just be cool.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
at first i didn't agree with it, but a while back taj wrote an article where he said something to the effect of bikers demonstrating/protesting to get access to skateparks is like barging someone's trails. if the skateboarders get the park built, then bikers want to fight their way in, it's kinda lame.

the bigger picture is bikers need to get together to get their own bike parks built.
The other side of this is, if it's a public park and built with tax money, then there shouldn't be discrimination. The Denver park is a blast on bikes, and while I've heard ppl say there should be a separate bike park, I haven't seen that many issues with other users. What p!sses me off is the segregated bike hours (like at the private indoor park at CO Mills mall) where bikes get crap hours. Reason #1 that I still haven't ridden there...

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
To have scheduled hours means the park would need to be supervised. That requires more cost and you know how budget goes now a days. We had one park that had a guard, money came and went so no more guard.

coping can solve ledge problems but what I've seen more is chucks of concrete knocked out of the main slab and bowls. Or on modular ramps I've seen holes in the quarter pipes. I ride at one of the more aged parks in my city and I've never seen a city worker patching up spots in the park. The skaters piss and moan when they roll over one of the divets in the ground. The most I've seen is in the fall they'll come out and blow out the leaves.

CMC has the right thing in mind, bikers need to get more active in their community if they want access to existing parks or parks built with them in mind. The skaters have a good reason to get stirred, they're usually the ones advocating for these parks. For a good while now I avoid parks only cuz it's seems like they're turning into daycare centers. Parents bringing their five yr olds to ride their scooters or whatnot and not paying attention to em. They just sit down and read a book while their kids camp out in the bowl.

BYW I'm not trying to be negative to your reply. I'm just tired of parks and all the crappy vibes some have. Takes away from all the fun I used to have there.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
From the Skaters for Public Skateparks forum:

Fresno BMX Bike Park

http://www.skatepark.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9305

Fresno's Mosqueda Bike Park - 30000 sq ft! by Fresno Parks & Recreation (PARCS). Wormhoudt designs.

BMXers, take heed, this is the kind of thing that can happen in your town if you get involved and make it happen!

Link here:

http://www.clickedbmx.com/2009/07/fresno-bike-park.html

Look at the sick wallrides, street spines, box jumps, sub boxes, etc. If you are involved in the process, this is the type of thing you can have!

It's funny that they opened in Fresno in the middle of summer. I hear it was like 112 degrees on opening day, but looks like a good turnout. Video from the opening day, with x games type pros doing a demo:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
pretty cool..........

from austinskatenotes.org:

Paul Zimmerman has accomplished the skatepark advocate’s dream: He successfully convinced a developer who was installing a concrete ditch to make it skateable. People in city and county government have often mentioned the possibility over the years. Specific cities strongly considered the idea, but it never happened anywhere. Now there’s an example that can be cited to give decision-makers more confidence in attempting this type of installation.

More information about Paul Zimmerman’s other skatepark advocacy successes can be found at the El Paso Skatepark Association website. More photos are in the Austin Public Skatepark Action Committee gallery.

http://www.austinpublicskatepark.org/skatepark_gallery/v/Edgemont_Ditch_El_Paso/