Quantcast

Smart Phones and Blackberry's

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So is the Blackberry storm as bad as I've heard? Anybody have it?

My work phone broke so they're replacing it, I'm looking for suggestions on phones that will work on the Verizon network.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I have two users here with the Storm. The one guy is on his fourth one in less than a year. The other has not had any problems.

50\50? :) :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The UI is kind of lame and confusing. I'd stick with any of the other ones. I have heard only bad things...survey says skip the storm.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i've heard love and hate stories about the Storm and it has kept me from jumping in. i've been looking at other Verizon options too. it looks like the Palm Pre will be on Verizon, but not until the start of next year, and the iPhone isn't likely to convert for another two years.

there is a new Blackberry called the Tour that is due out shortly (if it isn't out already). i dig some of the Blackberry devices because they offer the option of using them as a tethered modem for your laptop if you connect the two devices with a USB cable; i'm not sure what other phones offer that option.

the LG Versa and enV Touch both seem to get good reviews on the verizon website, but i don't know anyone with either.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I have two users here with the Storm. The one guy is on his fourth one in less than a year. The other has not had any problems.

50\50? :) :)
That's kind of the feeling I'm getting.

Treesaw- Sorry I hate being restricted by Apple, it also doesn't work on the Verizon network.

Anybody have experience with the Samsung Omnia?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I'm on my second Storm, first one took a sh*t after 2 months, Julie still has her original one. With the newest software upgrade, it's way better than when they first came out.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
i've heard love and hate stories about the Storm and it has kept me from jumping in. i've been looking at other Verizon options too. it looks like the Palm Pre will be on Verizon, but not until the start of next year, and the iPhone isn't likely to convert for another two years.

there is a new Blackberry called the Tour that is due out shortly (if it isn't out already). i dig some of the Blackberry devices because they offer the option of using them as a tethered modem for your laptop if you connect the two devices with a USB cable; i'm not sure what other phones offer that option.

the LG Versa and enV Touch both seem to get good reviews on the verizon website, but i don't know anyone with either.

Great advice! My phone died so I guess I'm looking for more immediate options. I think I'm going to go with a blackberry now it's just a matter of which one. Getting work e-mail on it is important.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm on my second Storm, first one took a sh*t after 2 months, Julie still has her original one. With the newest software upgrade, it's way better than when they first came out.
Aghhhh thats what I've been hearing a lot of. The biggest complaint has been the software lag, have they fixed that?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've had my BB 8900 for about a month now. I'm liking it a lot. It does all the cool stuff, but above all, it is a GREAT phone. Call quality sounds like a land line. Mostly I use it as a phone/PDA so I don't have data. When I need the internet, I can use the Wifi at free hotspots.
Camera is quite good too. I've never seen the point of camera phones, until I realized that the camera is actually pretty decent. Handy when you are out in the field/shop and need to take a quick pic. And unlike most phones, getting the picture onto you computer doesn't require emailing it to yourself.
I have also been using it as a full on MP3 player. Put a $17 SD card in it and it holds a ton of music.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody have experience with the Samsung Omnia?
I played with one in the store and read as much as possible. Seems to be a pretty good and solid phone that either works or does not depending on who uses it. Are you a one-button mouse kind of guy, or do you not mind tweaking a little to get best performance? Do you find things like the "start" menu to be confusing and foreign, or can you figure out how to launch applications? Ie the omnia is more confusing and less user friendly but has a lot of features that can be put to good use. 5 MP camera is excellent and I loved the windows UI. You can't get one without a data plan, which is why I passed.

I have the LG Dare and it can do way less than I had really hoped for. Battery life is excellent and it's small, at least.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I got the Tour 9630 last week and I really like it so far. The keyboard is maybe a little smaller than I'd like but e-mail and world phone capabilities were important to me. E-mail through IMAP has worked well and the next trip out of the country is in early August, extended trip at the end of August to test the world phone capabilities. The only apps I've added so far are all the Google apps (maps, gmail, sync), twitterberry and a weather app but so far so good. The built in browser isn't that great but there are a couple other options you can download.

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
I've been using a storm since the day they came out. Works fine for me. The reception is not quite as good as my other phone. I was a little worried it would be more delicate than I really needed, but it has kept working through a few serious drops to flat.
Overall I'm pleased with it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The storm has gotten better since the new OS has been released. Should be even better once BBOS v5 rolls around (4.7 wasn't built with touchscreen in mind, it was adapted to it ex post facto. v5 will be better for a touch input device).

However, Storm 2 is rumored to be out Q3 or Q4 of 2009.

The Palm Pre is supposed to hit Verizon's network Q1 2010.

There are some big rumors going around that Verizon will be getting the first 4G iPhone once they (Verizon) have rolled out LTE (4G) in the major metro areas (and after AT&T's exclusive is up; FWIW Verizon will be first to market with 4G in the US).

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a very smart phone. It tells me who is calling when someone rings me and then When I answer it the person who dialed my number is magically on the line. I am not sure how it does it but it is awesome. I think jeebus has something to do with it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I have a very smart phone. It tells me who is calling when someone rings me and then When I answer it the person who dialed my number is magically on the line. I am not sure how it does it but it is awesome. I think jeebus has something to do with it.
Jeebus + Al Gore = FTW

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
While that's funny, I was waiting to see about a TV they keep in the back.

I was tired of watching the Tour on a 20" screen, so we bought a 32" flat panel.
The power of the 37" TV I have combo'ed with the tour has hooked my wife. She was ticked off that it was a rest day yesterday. She's psyched for the Alps stage today.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Sweet, the person who starts a thread can remove tags!!

I moderated your ass'es.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
The Air Force issues Blackberry's to many of my superiors and mission essential on call personnel.

They suck pretty bad from what I hear. It could have to do with crypto interface though...

My supe prefers his Palm Treo.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've got the Samsung Omnia touch screen from Verizon and internationally, it's a big hit. At first, I was frustrated with it's features, but once I realized I can hold the disconnect button for a sec and it locks the touch screen, I was at ease with it.

Plus, it runs Windowns Mobile, Word, Excel, Powerpoint. It has Wi-Fi, so those who know how (not me) can use it to skype anywhere there's signal. The Opera browser makes the web fully functional on it and the internet is clear as a bell.

It has a built in accelerametor(sp?) and the downside is it's only useable with VZ Navigator at the moment, but Verizon is unlocking it in the next month or so...meaning it will do just like iphone and be a legit GPS for tracking anything from routes to rides ( you can download the beta now to unlock it if you're a techy).

The camera is a mini-beast...5.0 megapixel & the main reason I got it. The camera has as many features as the phone itself.

Touch screen is super quick. Full on decked out MP3 player, FM radio, wifi, bluetooth..and the list goes on. Plus you can download apps, games to use the accelerametor, apps that customize the touch screen features through out...basicly make your own custom phone if you want.

Oh..and it's more storage capacity than some laptops, 8GB built in and expandable 16GB microSD

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A close friend of mine has gone through 4 BB Storms. They just stop working. The UI is also super slow in my experience.
Have you upgraded to os v4.7.0.148? Or are you still using 4.7.0.78? .78 was crap, .148 is much, much better. Still far from perfect, but its much more of a usable phone now.

Bizutch, I have never been too impressed with windows mobile. Granted I don't have extensive experience with the latest version (6.5 if I'm correct). But with one exception (you not included) the consensus I have heard from WinMo users is an overwhelming "meh".

That being said, I have never heard anything bad about Samsung devices. Great battery life, great cameras, solid interface. The only reason I don't have one right now is because they had to go and put WinMo on it. Supposedly the Android powered Samsung devices are tits, but none are avail in the US right now (at least not for Verizon). If Google is right there will be a plethora of them by years end, so we'll see if that comes to fruition.

BBOS can do Word, Excel, PDF, and I think powerpoint (not sure off the top of my head, but I've never tried. Can't remember offhand either). Opera is available for it as well, as are a bunch of sweet internet radio apps (Slacker, Pandora).

The single biggest thing that I went with BB over WinMo is the messaging (email, sms, and mms). BB blows WinMo out of the water on this one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Why what's the difference?
Better integration to the OS in general, far better push, and in my experience its more compatible with a wider number of email accounts. You can also integrate them all into a single inbox.

edit: plus you get several free bb email accounts