Quantcast

Smartphonez

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There's a whole ecosystem that you get with the iPhone, of course. I just don't really take advantage of any of it. My music streams over Bluetooth, I don't use cases, I don't have interest in any of the various music playing accessories... so that's really not a draw for me.
This is the gist of it when it comes to platform. You have 3 choices, Apple, Google, and Amazon. Amazon has done well with the Fire tablet, but failed on the Fire phone. Windows still has a LONG way to go for a true ecosystem.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
While it doesn't mount as a mass storage device anymore, it does still mount as a USB device that you can directly copy to and from without sync applications...
Er, right. I've been sitting in a factory in Taiwan with fuck all to do for the last week and half, I was pretty glazed over when I responded to that.

There's a whole ecosystem that you get with the iPhone, of course. I just don't really take advantage of any of it. My music streams over Bluetooth, I don't use cases, I don't have interest in any of the various music playing accessories... so that's really not a draw for me.
This is a good point. I don't own any other apple products so buying into that ecosystem doesn't make a ton of sense for me, but I can see it having some upsides if I was more invested.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The "active notifications" on the Moto phones have literally changed the way I interact with the device. And while I don't talk to my phone all that much, it is pretty nice to be able to just wake up the phone and perform an action by talking, when I'm in the car or the other night I set a reminder while I was in the kitchen and the phone was in the living room.
I played with a my friend's Moto X (first gen) the other day and the active notifications are awesome. Am I correct in thinking that the Droid Turbo would have something at least very similar?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I played with a my friend's Moto X (first gen) the other day and the active notifications are awesome. Am I correct in thinking that the Droid Turbo would have something at least very similar?
Yes, the new Moto X and the Droid Turbo both have the active notifications.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So it's only on the second gen Moto X? Sounds like I'm talking about a different feature.

To youtube!

Edit: yeah, that is what I was thinking of. I'm talking about the first version of the current Moto X. And agreed, they're awesome.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Right... first gen definitely had it, as you saw. I was just saying that both of the new Motos have the feature.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I am getting the Nexus 6 even though I have a perfectly awesome nexus 5 right now, because somehow or another I have turned into a big rom flashing dork, and I am obsessed with constantly trying different options on my phone. And since the Nexus phones are development phones that is all I want to own, because it gives me the most options.
But if I was telling another normal person to get a phone, I would tell to get a moto-x or that droid turbo. The moto phones are great and they are the closest to stock android.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, I don't have any interest in messing with non-stock roms so whatever.

16GB of memory on the X is a dealbreaker. Droid Turbo it is.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Turns out you can get the X with 32gb, Verizon's website just doesn't list it.

Still not enough.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
A few days in with the Droid Turbo and I'm mostly pretty happy with it. The battery life is, predictably, awesome, the screen looks great, and performance is very good. The ballistic nylon back is kind of weird, but I'm used to it already so whatever. There are two downsides though. I wish it was smaller. It's pretty thick, which I accept is necessary to fit the big battery in, and that's a tradeoff I'm okay with. I just wish it had a smaller screen, and therefore a smaller footprint. I've got big hands, but I can't really use it one handed without shifting the phone in my hand slightly to reach the whole screen. The other is that the in call volume is really surprisingly low, even with the volume maxed out. Not the end of the world, but I can tell it's going to be hard to hear people in noisy environments.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^
try the LG bluetooth headphones that sit around your neck....my older brother uses those to take calls...sounds better than someone who is talking into the phone.