Quantcast

Smoke Marijuana? - Here's your justification

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
No Link Between Pot Smoking, Cancer

Wed Oct 19, 7:02 PM ET

WEDNESDAY, Oct. 19 (HealthDay News) -- Even though they're chemically similar, marijuana smoke is less likely than tobacco smoke to cause cancer, according to one expert review of the literature.

The review, by Dr. Robert Melamede of the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, noted that tobacco and marijuana smoke differ in a number of ways, particularly in the fact that marijuana smoke contains tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) , while tobacco smoke contains nicotine. Nicotine increases the cancer-promoting effects of smoke, while THC reduces those effects, he explained.

And even though THC and nicotine act on related cellular pathways, they bind to different receptors to activate these pathways, the review found. Cells in the lungs and respiratory passages are lined with nicotine receptors but these cells don't appear to have THC receptors. This may explain why smoking marijuana has so far not been linked with lung cancer, a major cause of death from cigarette smoking.

Research has also shown that marijuana kills cancer cells and reduces tumor growth. This is, in part, because marijuana reduces the formation of blood vessels that nourish tumors.

However, the review warned that the effects of marijuana are complex and sometimes contradictory. It also noted that many people use marijuana and tobacco together, and the two drugs may interact in complex ways.

While some governments are reluctant to approve marijuana for medicinal use, the review noted that there's increasing evidence that marijuana can improve the lives of patients with a broad range of health problems, including insomnia, AIDS, multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer's disease.

The review will be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Harm Reduction.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
little ot:

here inmy city you can find marijuana allmost every where...
behind high schools, police stations,hospitals.... every where...

and nobody really cares..

ps. i dont smoke my friends do-..
pps. my city was pronouce the worst city in Croatia, here we havethe most guys who smokes drogs, addicted on lsd, kokaine, heroin, and all other ****...

still here is few people who ride bikes and we are ok ;)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
That's not all it said. It also said the long term effects are more similar to those of tobacco smoke. I.e. the more you smoke, the more of a problem it is. Shocker.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
if i ever partake in buds again i'll just put them in my waffle mix. Maybe if i hit 100 years old, i'll grub down on some B.C. Bud Waffles.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Research has also shown that marijuana kills cancer cells and reduces tumor growth. This is, in part, because marijuana reduces the formation of blood vessels that nourish tumors.
Well that is good to know.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Like all drugs, I hope that kids don't do them... give your body and brain a reasonable chance to develop before you start to destroy them. Wait to college like all good kids.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Take this same quote in a different context:

If I don't have Cancer or a Tumor - those blood vessels are nourishing something else... and by smoking I've now stop nourishment from getting to some part of my body.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver

Slicing your wrist prevents cancer because it removes the blood that helps cancer grow.

:devil:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
LordOpie said:

Slicing your wrist prevents cancer because it removes the blood that helps cancer grow.

:devil:
You must be a lot of fun at parties...

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
LordOpie said:
Like all drugs, I hope that kids don't do them... give your body and brain a reasonable chance to develop before you start to destroy them. Wait to college like all good kids.
Good point. You can always tell when someone is a long time pot smoker, and you can tell when they started at a young age. I've met a lot of potheads who seemed like they were a little, well, slow...

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yeah one of my room mates is totally 'addicted' to pot. I say this because I suppose in theory you aren't supposed to be addicted to pot but I have yet to see one single day where he does not smoke, and usually spends most of his time high. How can you live your whole life in an altered state of mind, I just don't get it.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
blt2ride said:
Good point. You can always tell when someone is a long time pot smoker, and you can tell when they started at a young age. I've met a lot of potheads who seemed like they were a little, well, slow...
Always? :think:

Flakey Jake

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Chico
You forgot to mention that it gives one "the munchies" and also makes mundane sh*t "hella funny." Those are medical terms btw =D

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
The kind of marijuana you buy isn't just the dried plant. They use all kinds of chemicals to cut and prepare it with to the tune of what you'd use to unclog your drain or strip paint with.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
partsbara said:
yeah, i m a little confused on this as well...
Just sounds like people listening to the anti-drug propaganda they pushed to us as kids. That kinda stuff had the opposite effect on me. "It'll make my dick smaller? Cool!!!"

That being said of all the pot users that smoke for long extended periods of time that i've seen, they all wind up being fat and lazy. So much they can't even get up to make their own waffles. Permantley dependant on Eggo's, it's a vicious cycle.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
bluebug32 said:
The kind of marijuana you buy isn't just the dried plant. They use all kinds of chemicals to cut and prepare it with to the tune of what you'd use to unclog your drain or strip paint with.
It's hardly "dry", and I can assure you it's not "cut" with anything. :evil: Hypothetically of course....

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Think she is talking about the real chemmy stuff. You know the kind that was planted next to a swamp and they went ape**** with chems to keep bugs away, and fertilized the **** out of it because they wanted a huge plant, and treated it with stuff to keep it good longer...

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
GumbaFish said:
Think she is talking about the real chemmy stuff. You know the kind that was planted next to a swamp and they went ape**** with chems to keep bugs away, and fertilized the **** out of it because they wanted a huge plant, and treated it with stuff to keep it good longer...
Ahhh... I'm glad I live so close to VT. :thumb:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
the 'stuff' we encounter isn t 'cut' with anything... moreso grown in someones backyard (usually a mate).... there would be more chemicals in the meat you buy from the supermarket than the dakka ya scored from ya buddy...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Skookum said:
Just sounds like people listening to the anti-drug propaganda they pushed to us as kids.
yeah, my favourite is the people who (have probabally never tried the drug) go on about it being a 'gateway' drug...

whatever... people who are inclined that way will try and experiment with other drugs regardless... complete w@nk this 'gateway' sh1t...

on a brighter note... i m off to amsterdam for the weekend... promise i won t inhale....

much :)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
partsbara said:
the 'stuff' we encounter isn t 'cut' with anything... moreso grown in someones backyard (usually a mate).... there would be more chemicals in the meat you buy from the supermarket than the dakka ya scored from ya buddy...
Well this is America where we put chemicals in everything

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
bluebug32 said:
Well this is America where we put chemicals in everything
hey !! i m 49% american :)

my american mates don t put cr@p in their bud...

the germanys on the other hand... 65 / 35 mix with tobacco... 35 isn t tobacco, it s the weed :(

oh well... they miss out (and get cancer)

i just get more smarterer with each toke :devil:

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Formaldehyde? Draino? Paint thinner? I think you guys got your krank mixed up with your weed. Hey, wait a minute...krank + weed. Maybe we have something here. :thumb:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
bluebug32 said:
The only marijuana I have ever had was just the plant, hash being the exception. But at least around the PNW, fresh greenbud is the norm.

Although one time (a long time ago) I think I got some that was laced with something. I have memories of seeing hundreds of dead salamanders on the street all lined up in a row, but when I went back to the same place it was just a bunch of filbert blossoms... :eek:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
bluebug32 said:
Maybe in commercial "brick bud" out of Mexico. You are misinformed or have some crappy connections;)

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Zark said:
Maybe in commercial "brick bud" out of Mexico. You are misinformed or have some crappy connections;)
:stupid: If I smoke, It's only in bud form. I love how people can comment on stuff like "cutting" pot and all these chemicals when they most likely have no clue about the stuff and everything they have ever learned about it was from Mr. Douchenoz in health class.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Sherpa said:
:stupid: If I smoke, It's only in bud form. I love how people can comment on stuff like "cutting" pot and all these chemicals when they most likely have no clue about the stuff and everything they have ever learned about it was from Mr. Douchenoz in health class.

REEFER MADNESS...

don t smoke it, the root goes directly to H3LL and it leads to wild orgies :):) :blah:

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
bluebug32 said:
you need to quit smoking bannana peels. :thumb:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
partsbara said:
and your point is ???????
What's been posted on here is the tabloid, out of context, short and extremely simplified version of what the dude actually found in his study.

Once again at the risk of horribly simplifing the situation, the study found that:

1) Chronic smoke is less harmful than Tobacco smoke apparantly due to the types of interations it has with various receptors in the lungs and the follow on effects

2) Chron has been shown, in some lab tests to reduce the growth of existing tumors

3) However, if you smoke a lot of Chron for a long time, the effects on your lungs become more and more like the effects of Tobbaco.

Still, there's more to it than that.

Like I said, read the actual report.