Quantcast

Smoker/BBQ's?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Patio is almost done. :weee: The next logical step is the acquisition of a smoker. Anyone have the 411 on a decent model? Target price point of +/-300 bucks. A pellet model would be nice. We eat very little meat (maybe once or twice a week) so it doesn't need to be a hard core industrial model.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
The Weber Smokey Mountain is pretty much the gold standard. There are other similar designs out there that cost less but if you can afford the Weber that's the way to go.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
weber smokey mountain. Vertical water smokers are the way to go if you are a newb/non-pro. I have a friend who has both and swears by his SM for casual smoking.

I have a $40 brinkmann ECB (el cheapo) and it bloooooooooows haaaaaaaaard. I had to modify it and basically buy another grill to stuff underneath it. I can barely keep temp for 8 hours but it's better than never being able to get up to temp.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
+1 for the Weber Smokey Mountain.

Like buildyourown mentioned, cooksillistrated gave it a great review. They are 100% non biased and are almost always on the money with the testing they do.

Gravy

Chimp
Feb 14, 2003
I made my smoker from a 55 gallon drum, make sure its food quality. They have plenty of info online. Mine works great have smoke several briskits, and probably 15 lbs of bear summer sausage. Mine needs a little design tuning to help it keep a constant temp but everything to make was less than $$50.