Quantcast

Smokers being awards damages for smoking

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Someone who started smoking 10 years ago is just an idiot. 40 years ago and the tobacco companies pretty much knew the hazards, lied and manipulated the data. Fuck'em I say.

A lot of similarites between the health affects of smoking and climate change. We will be lucky if there is enough of a modern society left for lawsuits when it all become blatantly obvious to all the morons.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Someone who started smoking 10 years ago is just an idiot. 40 years ago and the tobacco companies pretty much knew the hazards, lied and manipulated the data. Fuck'em I say.

A lot of similarites between the health affects of smoking and climate change. We will be lucky if there is enough of a modern society left for lawsuits when it all become blatantly obvious to all the morons.
40 years ago....1975....still a fucking idiot.

Yeah....but the willing customers shouldn't be awarded damages. The money should go elsewhere. 50 years ago the health impact was known. I've watched Mad Men. The tobacco industry is Cheney-level evil. But no-one was duped into thinking smoking was safe.
Once you're addicted, the concept of willing is subject to question. I detest smoking and smokers, but I detest the tobacco companies more. I smoked for a year or two when i was in the Army. Quitting, a couple of months before I got out in 1969, was a bitch. Anything that puts the hurt on these corporations (it would be better if it hit the executives directly), is a Good Thing.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Once you're addicted, the concept of willing is subject to question. I detest smoking and smokers, but I detest the tobacco companies more. I smoked for a year or two when i was in the Army. Quitting, a couple of months before I got out in 1969, was a bitch. Anything that puts the hurt on these corporations (it would be better if it hit the executives directly), is a Good Thing.

I don't disagree....but... "rewarding" (for lack of a better word) the customers who (at least at the beginning) willingly started smoking seems askew. Certainly fine the companies billions. But channel the money into something else. There's no way anyone can claim that they didn't know smoking might have some negative health effects. This isn't like an asbestos company forced people to work in usafe conditions without disclosing the risks.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
The tobacco companies hook most as children. (<18)
The invincible feeling of youth combined with not fully developed mental faculties = perfect sheep.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I lived with one or smokers my whole life until I was 25. Always hated it.

Since then I don't think I have socially known a smoker, except during my short career doing lift assisted downhilling. Most of those guys smoked, and were monkeys, and were all banned at one point in time. That really reinforced some stereotypes.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I smoked for about 6 or 7 years. I fucking loved it. I quit and dont have any feelings of desire to start. Smoking was more communal than anything. Being a group of 8 dirtbag skaters who did all the drugs put infront of them smoking was another component of fuck yall.

None of us smoke anymore, except maybe 1 or two. whatever though. i dont want to be 90 motherfucking years old.

This photo probably partially sums that up. Look how happy young me is to catch a beast.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I smoked for about 6 or 7 years. I fucking loved it. I quit and dont have any feelings of desire to start. Smoking was more communal than anything. Being a group of 8 dirtbag skaters who did all the drugs put infront of them smoking was another component of fuck yall.

None of us smoke anymore, except maybe 1 or two. whatever though. i dont want to be 90 motherfucking years old.

This photo probably partially sums that up. Look how happy young me is to catch a beast.

The problem with smoking is you end up being 90 at 60 and 60 at 35. So you wont live to be 90, but you will live like a 90 year old.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

blackohio making me all nostalgic and shit for the lat 80's early 90's....

cigarette smoke/weed smoke/beer sweats smelling house when the parents were gone and trying to get that shit aired out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As I found out when my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer, there is very little research around lung cancer. They don't have a cure for it, but they pretty much know how to prevent it. Don't smoke or huff asbestos.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
In the mid/late 60's when my mom was pumping out my brothers and I her Dr recommended she smoke to keep us small and make birth easier. I'm the runt of the litter at 6'4 so not sure if that was solid advice or not.

I try not to judge others based on their vices, or lack thereof, but don't see any basis for restitution for bad decisions.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As I found out when my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer, there is very little research around lung cancer. They don't have a cure for it, but they pretty much know how to prevent it. Don't smoke or huff asbestos.
10-20% of lung cancer these days is not associated with smoking.

I agree with MMike, though. This would be better directed to the Canadian equivalent of the NIH or the like.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
faint in the background is a young lady everyone called the guzzler. Popular at parties, mom now. scary. made a chud baby.

Sad thing, everyone in that photo is 21-22. College shithole, well it wasnt before me moved in.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Only if its weed. :D

however its proved that joints are not giving lung cancer.
It's proven that smoking weed, in joints or otherwise, is functionally similar to tobacco. It's probably in fact worse than cigarettes because those have filters. Vaporizers, food, and other delivery options are safer.

American Lung Association said:
Marijuana Smoke
Smoke is harmful to lung health. Whether from burning wood, tobacco or marijuana, toxins and carcinogens are released from the combustion of materials. Smoke from marijuana combustion has been shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants and carcinogens as tobacco smoke.4-7

Beyond just what's in the smoke alone, marijuana is typically smoked differently than tobacco. Marijuana smokers tend to inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than cigarette smokers, which leads to a greater exposure per breath to tar.8

Secondhand marijuana smoke contains many of the same toxins and carcinogens found in directly inhaled marijuana smoke, in similar amounts if not more.5 While there is no data on the health consequences of breathing secondhand marijuana smoke, there is concern that it could cause harmful health effects, especially among vulnerable children in the home. Additional research on the health effects of secondhand marijuana smoke is needed.

Lung Health and Marijuana Smoke
Smoking marijuana clearly damages the human lung. Research shows that smoking marijuana causes chronic bronchitis and marijuana smoke has been shown to injure the cell linings of the large airways, which could explain why smoking marijuana leads to symptoms such as chronic cough, phlegm production, wheeze and acute bronchitis.4,9

Smoking marijuana has also been linked to cases of air pockets in between both lungs and between the lungs and the chest wall, as well as large air bubbles in the lungs among young to middle-aged adults, mostly heavy smokers of marijuana. However, it's not possible to establish whether these occur more frequently among marijuana smokers than the general population.4

Smoking marijuana can harm more than just the lungs and respiratory system - it can also affect the immune system and the body's ability to fight disease, especially for those whose immune systems are already weakened from immunosuppressive drugs or diseases, such as HIV infection.4,9

Smoking marijuana hurts the lungs' first line of defense against infection by killing cells that help remove dust and germs as well as causing more mucus to be formed. In addition, it also suppresses the immune system. These effects could lead to an increased risk of lower respiratory tract infections among marijuana smokers, although there is no clear evidence of such actual infections being more common among marijuana smokers.4,9 However, frequent marijuana-only smokers have more healthcare visits for respiratory conditions compared to nonsmokers.10

Studies have shown that smoking marijuana may increase the risk of opportunistic infections among those who are HIV positive, although it does not seem to effect the development of AIDS or lower white cell counts.4,9

Another potential threat to those with weakened immune systems is Aspergillus, a mold that can cause lung disorders. It can grow on marijuana, which if then smoked exposes the lungs to this fungus.4 However, it rarely causes problems in people with healthy immune systems.
Bottom Line

Smoking marijuana clearly damages the human lung, and regular use leads to chronic bronchitis and can cause an immune-compromised person to be more susceptible to lung infections. No one should be exposed to secondhand marijuana smoke. Due to the risks it poses to lung health, the American Lung Association strongly cautions the public against smoking marijuana as well as tobacco products. More research is needed into the effects of marijuana on health, especially lung health.

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
It's proven that smoking weed, in joints or otherwise, is functionally similar to tobacco. It's probably in fact worse than cigarettes because those have filters. Vaporizers, food, and other delivery options are safer.
Yes but I'm looking at the link between lung cancer and smoking. Marijuana smoke is worse as it contains more tar. Though the effects are not linked to upcoming of a lung cancer as cannabinoids provide healing on the damaged parts as result.

The source to the scientific study regarding that. jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1104848

To make it easier to read, I provide the article which uses the same source of that study
www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/10/marijuana-and-lungs-study_n_1197854.html

Still more research is needed to take.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Still more research is needed to take.
That's the only thing you can really say. They are functionally very similar like the ALA states and that's a single study looking at "occasional and low cumulative marijuana use"

You don't have to smoke weed to get it's benefits or high though, so why smoke it at all if there are safer ways to consume it?

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
That's the only thing you can really say. They are functionally very similar like the ALA states and that's a single study looking at "occasional and low cumulative marijuana use"

You don't have to smoke weed to get it's benefits or high though, so why smoke it at all if there are safer ways to consume it?
Sure, why kill myself with more than a joint though i admit that to smoke a joint is nice. I been using vaporiser Volcano over almost ten years.it.fixed some coughing and so. I can live with a dry mouth :D