Quantcast

Snake question

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Yesterday as I was heading down the trail back toward the trailhead, I came over a little rise and almost ran over 2 rattlesnakes laying across the trail, both about 3 feet long. These 2 snakes weren't just laying across the trail though. They were in the middle of some sort of "dance" where they were twisted around each other, twisting and untwisting. After a few minutes of this, they eventually twisted their way off the trail and down a side embankment where they continued their little dance.

So what were they doing? Was I witnessing some sweet rattlesnake love, or was this some sort of male superiority thing, or what?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
It could have been either, honestly. You didnt lift their tales and check their sex?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
if it was "dancing", expect to see more snakes there in the near future. If it was more aggressive... more striking and recoiling, then it was likely a confrontation.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
jacksonpt said:
if it was "dancing", expect to see more snakes there in the near future. If it was more aggressive... more striking and recoiling, then it was likely a confrontation.
Not aggressive at all. They were just bobbin and weavin.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
jacksonpt said:
That's not necessarily true; male rattlers will "dance" in a bid for superiority and it's often mis-interpreted as mating. There's not a lot of striking involved, if any. They'll coil up, raising as high as they can get and try to muscle eachother.

I've seen both situations on film and in person and from my observations, coupling snakes are typically hidden away in tall grass or under a shrub and are physically connected if you catch my drift.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
macko said:
That's not necessarily true; male rattlers will "dance" in a bid for superiority and it's often mis-interpreted as mating. There's not a lot of striking involved, if any. They'll coil up, raising as high as they can get and try to muscle eachother.

I've seen both situations on film and in person and from my observations, coupling snakes are typically hidden away in tall grass or under a shrub and are physically connected if you catch my drift.
VINDICATION!

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
That would have scared the living piss out of me to be surprised by rattlers in the middle of the trail. I'd enjoy watching 'em from a safe distance but zone out too much while riding and would have probably only noticed them after they'd bitten me.