Quantcast

Snakes on the Trail

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I saw my first snake during the Beezley race on Saturday. It was a large gopher snake. I went around him then slowed for a second for a good look since they look a little like Rattlesnakes. Yesterday I was heading down the trail here in CE and spotted my first Rubber Boa snake. I stopped to check him out. I had only seen these guys in pics and cages before, not a fast moving snake. Before I got home I spotted a Garter snake across the trail. Now I am thinking maybe I need to go on a rattlesnake ride somewhere. :evil:

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
We caught a little rubber boa snake once when we were kids, it would wrap around your wrist and just chill like a bracelet, or your neck or whatever. I have never seen one since though.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Tootrikky said:
We caught a little rubber boa snake once when we were kids, it would wrap around your wrist and just chill like a bracelet, or your neck or whatever. I have never seen one since though.
I had a 7' boa who did the same thing,.... but you didnt want to let it just "chill" around your neck..... :eek:

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Rubber boa? I'm jealous. I've been wanting to catch one of those for years. What time of day and what sort of substrate did you find him in?

Jun 18, 2004
Skookum said:
GARTER snake

there's one of these ran over and smashed on the service road up from the lower trail at 38... or at least there was one 2 weeks ago... saw him while I was pushing my 50lb bike up the hill...

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
ArEm7 said:
Rubber boa? I'm jealous. I've been wanting to catch one of those for years. What time of day and what sort of substrate did you find him in?
A few years back I found one in Walla Walla of all places. It was in the evening and it was basking on an asphalt biking path. They are cool little snakes. I didn't think they'd be found somewhere that arid and hot.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
At this house I used to rent at, this woman I lived with was in the backyard mowing the lawn and mowed this snake and splattered it all over the place and on her legs. It was gross! She made me mow the lawn after that.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Str8OutaBallard said:
Skookum said:
GARTER snake

there's one of these ran over and smashed on the service road up from the lower trail at 38... or at least there was one 2 weeks ago... saw him while I was pushing my 50lb bike up the hill...
Dude don't go braggin about that, those snakes are on the endangered list and there is a $3000 fine for killing em.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
ArEm7 said:
He was up on Cle Elum ridge in the late afternoon laying across the dirt road getting some sun. I guess they are mostly nocturnal and live on the eastside of the state.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Borregokid said:
He was up on Cle Elum ridge in the late afternoon laying across the dirt road getting some sun. I guess they are mostly nocturnal and live on the eastside of the state.
You're extremely lucky y'know... after reading the link i posted i found that they have a sharp barb on the end of their tail that they use to emit a deadly poison.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Tootrikky said:
haha poisoneous constrictor....No such thing
Did you know their skin is the closest thing to latex that exist in the wild, that's why they were nearly hunted to extinction from all the horny fur traders in the 1800's.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
dwaugh said:
I know, I know, but no one else seems to know. :rolleyes:
Did you know that the Garter snakes eyes are made of Ethreal Copper Substrational Protoplasm and that if you stare long enough into it's gaze you'll turn into stone?

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Those garter snake pics reminds me of why mountain biking in the summer sucks on the west side. First you got those garter snakes which are pretty foul smelling, then its the stinging nettle, russian thistle etc and the overgrown single track. On top of that there is no wind and on a hot day the temps seem even warmer in the 100 percent humidity of the deep forest. And to top it off even on a sunny day the sun might not even break though the trees. Then if you're really luck for some reason the trail is muddy. :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Borregokid said:
Those garter snake pics reminds me of why mountain biking in the summer sucks on the west side. First you got those garter snakes which are pretty foul smelling, then its the stinging nettle, russian thistle etc and the overgrown single track. On top of that there is no wind and on a hot day the temps seem even warmer in the 100 percent humidity of the deep forest. And to top it off even on a sunny day the sun might not even break though the trees. Then if you're really luck for some reason the trail is muddy. :)
;)