Quantcast

Snapped frame do you trust carbon!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What are your thoughts what have you snapped and your stance on carbon VS alloy VS steel ???? ( fixed for ya Skared lol)

Not sure how much faith I have in carbon right now...I've broken my fair share of alot of frames and parts over the years.. but the way this snapped isn't like alloy..Ive dented alloy, trenched it, gashed it and cracked it...
Did have a buddy snap a head tube clean off his alloy intense. (So there is always that)
I like a damaged spot I can keep an eye on versus no in-between just good/fail replace...
I am swapping carbon bars to deity alloy now and cranks more than likely..took a look at the carbon cranks on the slash and they were gashed and pretty hammered after 5 rides...some of them are trenched pretty bad..

I'll still ride carbon frames , all 3 are carbon..I do have a steel one coming, but I question carbons durability with my weight and rock piles. Or anyone heavier hitting a rock or drop just right big or small it goes from zero to snap in just like that..

Just thoughts on it from others...

VideoCapture_20240823-145623.jpg
20240823_175214.jpg

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
What frame? I refuse to do carbon bars/cranks. Currently on a set of WAO rims with no destruction yet.

I'm about to build up a carbon Santa Cruz. Hopefully it holds together.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What frame? I refuse to do carbon bars/cranks. Currently on a set of WAO rims with no destruction yet.

I'm about to build up a carbon Santa Cruz. Hopefully it holds together.
2024 trek slash gen 6

I have a new v-10.8 and 23 nomad both CC, I love the warranty I've seen from others and buddies who are dealers .they take care of customers...I haven't seen Santa Cruz plagued with cracking issues.. I do LOVE the way they ride...

Worst case is if stuff goes sideways with me on carbon with damage and breakage I'll go back to the session HP alloy...plus Chris bike coming soon enough it's steel front alloy rear..

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have broken Steel.
I have cracked Aluminum.
Never had carbon, my fav builder plays with aluminum - although they did have a moment of insanity and released one carbon frame a few years ago.

I have two sets of carbon cranks at the moment (SixC and X01) and a carbon bar. (Syntace Vector)

I am also at the point that my flight time is minimal and exposure to real rock chunder is next to nil as our normal spots are dirt and roots, the odd trip to Thunder not withstanding.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't see the point of carbon outside of competition.

I don't think a well designed carbon fram is any more fragile than a metal frame for the designed use. But they aren't going to be as durable for the "off nominal' use cases like getting bounced off a rock or having a wrench dropped on it.

There is however a lot more opportunities to have manufacturing defects in carbon. And it generates huge amounts of waste.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I don't see the point of carbon outside of competition.

I don't think a well designed carbon fram is any more fragile than a metal frame for the designed use. But they aren't going to be as durable for the "off nominal' use cases like getting bounced off a rock or having a wrench dropped on it.

There is however a lot more opportunities to have manufacturing defects in carbon. And it generates huge amounts of waste.
Yeah socal rocks and carbon is like tip toeing through broken glass for me. Finally get tired of being sort of carefull and just mash down..
I agree on the competition side or if your in the NW , or have loan, roots and trees. I tap the top tube on these and had to stop, it's like a potatoe chip ..

I may go back to the alloy slash, if I question it ..I almost wonder if that's part of the reason the session stayed alloy...

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I like the feel of some carbon bars / wheels / frames, others are too harsh or too flexy. Same story for aluminum. I've broken a couple of beefy carbon rims (WAO Union) but it held air and I did another 2 days of shuttling on it. Also been on a ride where a guy cracked a Reserve 30 HD, same story - pumped up a bit of air into it and finished the ride. At the same time, a guy I sold an aluminum hardtail too broke the rear dropout clean off - not finishing that ride.

Well built / tuned carbon (SC, WAO) is tougher than aluminum IMO. But I'd stay away from lightweight carbon (Specialized) as it's the worst of everything (flexy, weak, & expensive).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well built / tuned carbon (SC, WAO) is tougher than aluminum IMO. But I'd stay away from lightweight carbon (Specialized) as it's the worst of everything (flexy, weak, & expensive).
And most importantly, its a Specialized. No other reason needed.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Based on my personal history... I consider stays (both chain and seat) as a wear item. No matter the material. Some are stronger than others. I think this comes down to experience and where in the it's life-cycle the product is (i.e. a first-year release, vs a frame design that's been around 4-5-6 years). Hopefully, in that period, engineers have had time to collect data from failed frames, and review layup and/or construction. (what can I say, I'm an optimist!). Make sure you buy a frame from a company that has good after-market customer care.

I like the idea of carbon cranks, and they've generally lasted me a long time, but I don't have the disposable income to buy them anymore now that my kids are growing. I just replaced my SixC cranks with Atlas' when the thread stripped out of the carbon ones.

I trust certain brands of carbon bars. Right now on OneUps. Will probably replace after their 4th season though. I tried going back to aluminum bars, but my wrists did not agree.

Carbon rims are a big "no thanks" from me. At the rate I destroy rims, and at their replacement costs, it's just not worth it. Plus, fuck off with your "ride feel" bullshit on rims. That's straight out of an advertisers playbook... I'd rather play with carcass stiffness on the tires than waste money chasing down the "ultimate blend of lateral stiffness and radial compliance"...

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My trust in carbon is pretty irrational.
I'd NEVER use carbon bars, stem or cranks.
But... I happily still ride a 10+ yr old full carbon roadbike (frame, fork and seatpost). Commute every week on a carbon forked gravel bike and have two enduro bikes with carbon frames and am just about to buy another.

FWIW tho. I trust Titanium less

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But... I happily still ride a 10+ yr old full carbon roadbike (frame, fork and seatpost). Commute every week on a carbon forked gravel bike and have two enduro bikes with carbon frames and am just about to buy another.

all your beliefs are pretty irrational. except whisky.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009

Go on, tell us why you don’t trust titanium. We all know you want to

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
and you know i'll never miss an opportunity to bust yer chops :D
Brother I expect it ..still wondering when your making a trip out here ..you can bring family and stay here we have room...we can go rock trails like the old days...barefoot uphill both ways in the snow!!!

I'll be in Chicago competing in Nov, Anaheim in dec and Vegas in January...so if your anywhere near any of those lol we can grab lunch and shit talk....

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I like the muted silence of carbon frames but at this stage I'm just as happy on a nice alloy bike. Wish more alloy bikes had in frame storage Tupperware options but thats a nice to have, not a need. I was even curious about the Chromag Lowdown (steel front, alloy rear) but the lack of ISCG tabs and bulky weight are more of a concern than the frame material.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Because EVERY SINGLE titanium bicycle component I've ever used failed
I've broken ti springs before in a Fox 40, but never on a rear shock. Haven't had much experience with ti stuff aside from that - too bloody expensive.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Buddy deformed a ti rear spring,took it off from rubbing and found out why ..it was curved like a macaroni noodle...
I've had two steel shock springs break (presumably fatigue) but never a ti one. And given the cost I ran the ti ones for a long time over multiple bikes in the good old days when ever bike worth owning was 9.5 x 3 shock

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Worst blackouts ever.

Generally booze that has a bunch of flavors added is a red flag. The flavors cover up any nastyness from other volatile compounds like acetone that can be the result from a cheaper distilling process. Avoid any licker that doesn't get flavor from the mash ingredients or a barrel.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I've had two steel shock springs break (presumably fatigue) but never a ti one. And given the cost I ran the ti ones for a long time over multiple bikes in the good old days when ever bike worth owning was 9.5 x 3 shock
Yeah I've never snapped a ti one either as a matter of fact I still have a (RCS) ti one in running from 12 years ago or longer lol it's a 3" stroke ..on the v-10...I have another RCS that's old but in shelf waiting for it's time to shine again..Jason's noodled it was a 600 or 650 the company hosti.net stopped making anything over a 600 in 75mm stroke apparently there were some issues in the 600-700 lb range...

Don't know the whole story on business end just Jason's and they too care of him been perfect since...tons of time and riding not a single issue...mine is still running strong from them as well it was a 550...