Quantcast

Snapped frame do you trust carbon!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I have jugs downstairs that have been in my family from 1850 ,we use em as decoration the main one my great great grandma made dandelion moonshine and stored it in it..that probably tastes like acetone and bug piss but smelled like rancid flowers.. ..needless to say it's craftmark looks like a pentagram so I don't know how to take that lol...

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Generally booze that has a bunch of flavors added is a red flag. The flavors cover up any nastyness from other volatile compounds like acetone that can be the result from a cheaper distilling process. Avoid any licker that doesn't get flavor from the mash ingredients or a barrel.
Filed that under "advice I could have used 20 years ago". Derp.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
no crabon bars anymore after seeing what happened to a buddy when his failed on a an 8' roadgap...

have cracked both carbon and alu frames. but i tend to pick what i like and ride it like a plow bike everywhere. best thing i've done on my carbon frames is full mastic on downtube and stays to keep rocks off. probably due for something new soon. will pick a frame whose geo/travel/adjustability work best for me, no matter what the material. probably another nomad unless something more interesting/suited to me needs comes along.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I will gladly send you our American beer for your Scottish whiskey.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
I like most alcoholic drinks, unfortunately they dont like me. Bourbon or Gin my favourites. The old man is an Alco, he distills ethanol, cuts it down to 50%, then adds Scotch flavoured essence. Drinks it 50/50 with Soda Stream Pepsi Max…Also he buys chinese black market ciggies.. Is well short a few cans in his six-pack upstairs he is.

I run burgtec 35mm carbon bars. Should I be nervous? They seem well sturdy and arent light, and magura mt5’s plastic woodscrews cant be over-torqued. Have a Gt fury frame, and Danny Hart is still going on his one same frame.
Ran Easton Havoc Dh bars for multiple bikes and again they were heavy and strong. Still going on another bike many years on.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Did you hit anything? Only asking because of the scratches around the crack in that first image. Either way that definitely sucks.

A while back I had the opportunity to ride the same bike, aluminum frame and then carbon frame. Took all the parts off of the aluminum frame and built up the carbon frameset. So about as good a comparison as you can get. The carbon build was lighter and laterally stiffer, I noticed it responded better to body english and held off-camber lines better than the alloy bike. But I wouldn't pay a premium for it. I got a generous discount on the carbon frame. Plus you can hit the aluminum frame with a hammer and keep riding without really worrying. No can do with carbon.

That being said, I've had the same set of carbon XO cranks from 2013ish on 6 different bikes. Still going. I know, I know.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My belief that it's one of the most rank tastes ever produced to be consumed by man?
No true Scotsman........

I've broken aluminum and steel, but at least so far all the carbon bits I've thrown away were trashed because of outside influences. Mostly cars or other homes accidents. I'm definitely a lot slower and more of a hack these days, but I sure do like my carbon bike. After 2 and a half decades in an industry that flew on carbon fiber and/or other composites, I'm mostly in agreement with @Westy. Properly designed, built and used, carbon is the superior product. The issues come about when someone violated the prior three caveats. Be it running the frame into the garage door, or hitting a bird at 500 miles an hour. It's just not going to hold up under those circumstances. I trust carbon frames and accessories as much as any alloy available, but I'm quicker to chuck carbon bits when I suspect the possibility of damage. With the change in my financial situation my purchases are liable to be all alloys in the near future, simply because of cost. Nothing is more suspect than cheap carbon. I suppose it's really all about what allowances one is willing to make at a price point. I'm off the opinion, that all things being equal, carbon is superior, but all things being equal is not a reflection of reality.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
question because i don't know and you enginerds and armchair enginerds do. is carbon more susceptible to cracking/failing because of twisting/torques? because pretty sure that's what caused my old nomad to break at the chainstay, which looks like about what happened to @bullcrew's terk chainstay at about the same place.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Uhhh.... your post kinda answers the question.

But alloy/Alu/ even Ti can break.

Can you ride smooth? Perhaps that's the better question.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
@Westy
need a $6K Moots frame.

Yes, I'm pretty sure everyone does. Need. I think it's under the 38th amendment. And It's our right. But only a Moots. And you have to come to Steamboat to pick it up. HA.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Booo, carbon forever!
I believe the 2026 S Works Stumpy will be able to fit a whole rotisserie chicken in the downtube, can't do that on some steel POS.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You could get a DEAN, they have gone crazy and put a 66deg HA and a 130mm fork on a hardtail and it's just 4350 USD.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I've broken them all. I will say the aluminum frames that I broke were pretty catastrophic. All of the carbon frames I broke were a brand that I used to be a fan boy of due to a local shop. . . that was a Giant mistake. The carbon failures were all small fractures that if gone un noticed would have been bad.
Similar to crank failures, although the aluminum cranks I broke were back in square taper days.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Similar to crank failures, although the aluminum cranks I broke were back in square taper days.
Wow that's a couple minutes ago ..
Brings back mag brakes by hayes, deemax, rhyolite xl and magura hs33 hydraulic rim breaks they killed it till your sidewalls bubbled...

That was the "grenade era" everything exploded and blew up ..God what a good era..

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Brings back mag brakes by hayes, deemax, rhyolite xl and magura hs33 hydraulic rim breaks they killed it till your sidewalls bubbled...

That was the "grenade era" everything exploded and blew up ..God what a good era..
Got you covered bro...

Remember these beauties? They still haunt my nightmares.

1724810768662.jpeg

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
So heres a trick. From the post ride by myself chair.
20240827_192730.jpg
When you want to buy something
Car, motorcycle, bike frame, whatever
Search "broken xyz" you can read about it
And in images see it.
And if theres alot to see in images its a bad sign mmkay.

If it says things like raceface, e13 or crank brothers offer for the owner to pay you to dispose of it responsibly.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
we have some good stuff at the house. Too bad only the wife can drink it ( 43 years sober for me)View attachment 217530
That Blanton's is hard to get. So hard that it has been de-listed at the LCBO ( Provincial liquor stores) My wife found a bottle at the Detroit duty-free a couple months ago. Was told it was the first they had seen in months and at the rate it was selling would not last another day. My only issue is she bought a bottle with the same horse and jockey that I already have. ( there are 8 different models )

/First world problems.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
That Blanton's is hard to get. So hard that it has been de-listed at the LCBO ( Provincial liquor stores) My wife found a bottle at the Detroit duty-free a couple months ago. Was told it was the first they had seen in months and at the rate it was selling would not last another day. My only issue is she bought a bottle with the same horse and jockey that I already have. ( there are 8 different models )

/First world problems.
sounds like you need to take a road trip to Frankfort KY. I will be there in Oct of 25 for the National Dressage Finals in Louisville

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

I got my stash of old wheels out a couple of weeks back, there's some rim brake wheels with Sun Big Mammoth Fat rims and a Rolf front wheel.

I've mentioned it before but I have never had a catastrophic carbon failure, cracked handlebar and a leaky bond on a carbon fork.
I wouldn't buy a carbon frame because it seems pointless with BMI of 33, I find it weird when fat people talk about how well their carbon bike goes up hill.

If I wasn't running a dropper I'd get another Syntace flexy post, they are awesome!

Last edited: