Quantcast

Snapped frame do you trust carbon!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I’ve seen just about everything break. Brooklyns were famous for breaking at the same spot (allegedly bulletproof 4130 frames). I just saw woody break his aluminum REEB. There are plenty of broken carbon frames on the internet. I think the reality is that a well designed frame used for its intended purpose will last as long as it should, but cobbled together bullshit is likely to fatigue out sooner than later, and shit that is abused is going to break regardless of material. So yeah, I trust carbon, roughly the same amount I trust aluminum or steel. I prefer aluminum bars cranks and stems, simply because I don’t have to worry about torque wrenches like you should with carbon.

All that being said, my next MTB frame will likely be aluminum if I had my choice. The weight savings isn’t as important as the environmental impact and the desire to support smaller frame builders, and the vibration damping that helps on the road is not important on a trail

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
oh yea, in 50 years or so of riding bicycles I've broken one aluminum frame, a zillion aluminum rims, and one carbon handlebar.

How old are you? Didn't know you were a senior citizen. Show me your AARP card :D

So just for giggles, GT Fury vs Trek Session. It's like a bazzilion dollar difference. I'd never see my ROI on the Trek. Altho I would try....but life. I blame the wife. HA that rhymes.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
So my jam is Pendleton. I will compare the rye vs the normal. They do have something waaaay sooper expensive. Not doing that. I'm sure I won't be able to tell the difference.

back to bikes

But I can tell the difference between carbon and alu wheels. That, I will say. :D

I haven't really broken much (that's probably a lie if you're an IRS agent), and that being said, none of it was carbon. And I have carbon wheels. And have done some stupid moves on them.

Broken spokes? Yes.

Rim? No.

I've got a crabon Ibis Ripmo. But really don't ride it that hard. If it cracks. New bike day?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So my jam is Pendleton. I will compare the rye vs the normal. They do have something waaaay sooper expensive. Not doing that. I'm sure I won't be able to tell the difference.

back to bikes

But I can tell the difference between carbon and alu wheels. That, I will say. :D

I haven't really broken much (that's probably a lie if you're an IRS agent), and that being said, none of it was carbon. And I have carbon wheels. And have done some stupid moves on them.

Broken spokes? Yes.

Rim? No.

I've got a crabon Ibis Ripmo. But really don't ride it that hard. If it cracks. New bike day?
I smashed the seat stay of a Ripmo into a rock and clearly damaged several layers of carbon. I continued to ride it hard for several weeks with no issue. It did make me nervous and Ibis gave me a good deal on a crash replacement despite not having to support a second hand bike per their warranty.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I don't mow, hate it. I will however ride some steep trails with you. Old dudes love steep trails.
Alright. We'll shuttle White Ranch someday. I do miss it.

Wait, the bike parks are still open and lifts are running. Uhhh. Yeah?

We'll call it Old Man Day at...Vail? Keithstone? Steamboat?

No mowing allowed. :D

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
No.
Steep trails.
Is it Longhorn? Some kind of horn. I always liked. Where you have a bit of a hike out? At least if you're me. And like I said It's been a while. I'm sure it's packed every day at White's these days.

Anyways, You set up the steep-ness awesome-ness. I'll rail it down. Or crash while trying :D

I'll even buy you a beer.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That reminds me of Gran Torino. Are you sure you're not Clint Eastwood? HA
Lmao forgot about that show . Yeah I get told I'm an asshole pretty often but it's cause people don't like the truth and everyone thinks we need to not step on feelings .

Shit feelings are like a trampoline or wife's last nerve!!!!! I'm gonna JUMP all over that shit till it breaks...

about everyone has a closet now days so they can go hide in their safe space when I'm around...or I can stuff em in it...

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Lmao forgot about that show . Yeah I get told I'm an asshole pretty often but it's cause people don't like the truth and everyone thinks we need to not step on feelings .

Eff and A bro. Ef and A. There was a bumper sticker I recently saw. "America, love it or leave it". Love it.

And for all the illegals? Don't even try it.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Trust carbon enough to build this last night. (Carbon front/Alu rear)
_20240901_102236.JPG

Who knows. Might even be brave enough to ride it one day.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So I'm curious. Out of all the brands out there, you got a Vitus?

Can't say I know anything about them. Looks decent. Tell us how it goes.
They’re Chinese open mold with a paint job. The front end on my ICAN is the same as the Vitus Rapide and NS bikes Synonym and at least two other big brands. That being said, they should be as robust as anything else.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So I'm curious. Out of all the brands out there, you got a Vitus?
I already have 2 other vitus bikes.
I bought this new warranty frame (no shock) in Large at a good price. (obvs with no warranty) To swap all the parts from this XL Giga .
_20240901_130756.JPG

The Giga is XL (490mm reach which is 20mm longer than an L) the rest of the geo is very similar between the two. I'm a tiny bit under 6ft. The Giga was a very capable, stable AF, fast descending frame and I had no issues riding it but I just didn't enjoy its lack of playfulness and maneuverability over my many other shorter bikes. I don't have a DH bike anymore (the Giga is faster DH than any of my old 26" bikes were) so the Giga was partly to replace their job as well as trail riding skewed towards descending. As will the Sommet. But at 470mm reach. It should feel a lot moar fun to ride. Just as a L Giga is (which I far prefered riding to the XL). I've increased the shock stroke so the Sommet also now has 170mm rear travel in full 29" wheel configuration the same as the Giga. (180mm fork).
Brief ride to set Sag etc. after building it told me straight away it fits my preference better. Seattube angle seems a little slacker than the super steep Giga's. (I'm not really a fan of super steep S/As unless the bike is verging on too long. Which as explained I'm not that much of a fan of either)

Last edited:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Frame cost about the same as an O-Chain would.
They’re Chinese open mold with a paint job
clearly manufactured by the same factory as the previous gen Nukeproofs too. Which were IME a lot less crack happy than current gen RIP

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
LuescherTechnik or how ever he is spelled did a lot of ultrasound scanning AFAIK. He was a proper reviewer kicking a lot of comps in their arses.
Never even thought about ultrasound for consistency or discontinuity...radiography for density lines..

The top tube and down tubes are so freaking thin on all these carbon bikes it's like a drum...you can push it in a little with your thumb..don't know that I care enough for it to make me nervous, but I do know they don't like rocks at all...

Think I'm going to ride wrap or throw heavier mil clear on sides of bike and stays to protect it from shock impacts and sharp hits...not an end all but there's a couple areas I'd be cool with some buffer