Quantcast

Snapped frame do you trust carbon!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I did 20+ laps at Killington yesterday on my sub-33lb Gambler. Lots of low speed ultra tech and flattish tech. Having all that DH travel on a bike that isn't tiring to move around was awesome.
That 32lb Jedi i built walked all over the place at tamarack and NW rocky sections, was kicked too easily no mass....took it immediately back to 37 and was alot more composed in the nasty...
Did ride the Boise bike park better when it was lighter for sure...
If your on top of the chunk and skipping tips it's good, but when you get off timing and drop in no Bueno....
I'll stick with my range based on physics and riding style ..my mass, bikes mass, deflection and control for how I ride.

But that's what's great is we have choices, and everyone has a different style and build body sizes so it's definitely not a 1 fits all sport.
Your style is probably more conducive to a lighter set up...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That 32lb Jedi i built walked all over the place at tamarack and NW rocky sections, was kicked too easily no mass....took it immediately back to 37 and was alot more composed in the nasty...
Did ride the Boise bike park better when it was lighter for sure...
If your on top of the chunk and skipping tips it's good, but when you get off timing and drop in no Bueno....
I'll stick with my range based on physics and riding style ..my mass, bikes mass, deflection and control for how I ride.

But that's what's great is we have choices, and everyone has a different style and build body sizes so it's definitely not a 1 fits all sport.
Your style is probably more conducive to a lighter set up...
IMO, its the shit air springs.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
shit...every "one bike to rule them all" bike i've had for the past decade (so a well-built uzzi vp and a well build nomad 4) have been 34#-35#...which has seemed ideal for most plowing and some popping to me, if you're not a beotch...

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
What's the build on it to be that light?
20240908_081051.jpg

Carbon large frame w/X2 shock (DHX2 also*)
Fox 40 w/prototype crowns
Light Bicycle, DT240, CX-Ray, aluminum nipples
XOdh drivetrain
XTR Trail pedals
XTR 4-pot brakes, 203 rotors
Maxxis DHR2.4 & Assegai2.5 DH tires w/rear Tannus insert
Scott carbon direct mount handlebar
Hylix carbon seatpost (cut)
SDG Ti saddle
most bolts replaced w/Ti

The weight sounds crazy but compared to an enduro bike the seatposts' weight difference more than makes up for the forks. The cassette, chain, derailleur, and handlebar/stem are lighter. The frame is on par with carbon enduros. The wheels are lighter than many carbon trail bike wheels.
This is the bike's 4th season having only changed brake/fork oil, brake pads, tires, and fork seals.

*My only complaint about the X2 compared to the DHX2 is I can feel the spring get firmer as it gets hot. I like that its spring is a little progressive and can quickly be made firmer for jump lines at home.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
)
The weight sounds crazy but compared to an enduro bike the seatposts' weight difference more than makes up for the forks. The cassette, chain, derailleur, and handlebar/stem are lighter. The frame is on par with carbon enduros. The wheels are lighter than many carbon trail bike wheels.
This is the bike's 4th season having only changed brake/fork oil, brake pads, tires, and fork seals.

*My only complaint about the X2 compared to the DHX2 is I can feel the spring get firmer as it gets hot. I like that its spring is a little progressive and can quickly be made firmer for jump lines at home.
First off nice build and second your right dropper adds a chunk of weight to an Enduro bike for sure.. (but man droppers are awesome lol)

Well thought out build, for playing around and park yeah it would be awesome I know the v10 lighter for summit and valley would be nice but as soon as we hit north it would be game on for reliability, deflection and holding line.

4 seasons is a while I get half a season and shits broken , frames, wheels, and so on)

Last edited:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sam Hill was also very well known for having super long legs

You probably don't need as long a dropper as you think.
Excluding brakeless mannies, stunts and jibs

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Oh lucky me. That absolutely drop dead gorgeous Levo again.

The "you" was a general "you" not aimed only at you. Seth.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
View attachment 218042
Carbon large frame w/X2 shock (DHX2 also*)
Fox 40 w/prototype crowns
Light Bicycle, DT240, CX-Ray, aluminum nipples
XOdh drivetrain
XTR Trail pedals
XTR 4-pot brakes, 203 rotors
Maxxis DHR2.4 & Assegai2.5 DH tires w/rear Tannus insert
Scott carbon direct mount handlebar
Hylix carbon seatpost (cut)
SDG Ti saddle
most bolts replaced w/Ti

Dude, Sweet. Like really 33lbs with a dual crown?

I am definitely giving you the game ball.

But then you'll have to shoot the boot :D

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
no usage limits, no weight limits
Oooh, as an obese man with a steel frame I feel like I should own that stem, what is it?

I already have the lightest(I believe) non weight restricted DH rated bar, but I only bought it because it had the right back/upsweep.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Oooh, as an obese man with a steel frame I feel like I should own that stem, what is it?

I already have the lightest(I believe) non weight restricted DH rated bar, but I only bought it because it had the right back/upsweep.

there‘s also an even lighter one piece version but you can‘t use it for high rise bars

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Your saddle height is a mockery/jibe for all the people with >200mm droppers.:pilot: I love it!
Get this: I run a 210 dropper on my Ransom and in the low position the seat is higher than my Gambler. My new Ransom is getting a 240 so I can drop it down to the DH bike's height. The position on my Gambler is the lowest I can go and still turn the pedals seated. Weirdly long legs, even for someone over 6'1".

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Get this: I run a 210 dropper on my Ransom and in the low position the seat is higher than my Gambler. My new Ransom is getting a 240 so I can drop it down to the DH bike's height. The position on my Gambler is the lowest I can go and still turn the pedals seated. Weirdly long legs, even for someone over 6'1".
Sorry for being such a short leg-minded person!
@toodles how much dropper do you need? I might consider applying for your corgi club, if possible :D

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Sorry for being such a short leg-minded person!
@toodles how much dropper do you need? I might consider applying for your corgi club, if possible :D
185mm on the Enderpo, 160 on the Smuggler (cos thats all that fits). Its a myth short legged people need less drop! I need as much or even more than longer legged people

To get on and off the bike without a step