jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I want a Selkirk rex but wifes allergic to cats...she does ok with the dogs (I'm not a dog person)...but she can have them so we do...
Siberian Forest Cats.
The allergy is caused by proteins (fel d1-8). Siberians can have dramatically lower levels.
My wife is asthmatic and highly allergic. When we moved in together, we blocked off half of the house and kept my two Bengals on the main floor hoping to reduce her symptoms. Did not work - she ended up in the hospital after 2 weeks. My sister ended up taking them, so at least they stayed in the family and I still got to visit.

Years later we heard about Siberians. We contacted a breeder and they sent a swatch of cloth from one of their queens and kittens bedding. No reaction even with sleeping with it inside her pillow case and direct skin application. We took a chance and eventually ended up with two 1/2 brothers. Now 7 and 10. She can bury her face in their fur with no reaction. 10 minutes in our oldest sons house with his "normal" tabby and she is reacting.

Maybe worth an inquiry?

20240419_162432.jpg

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Siberian Forest Cats.
The allergy is caused by proteins (fel d1-8). Siberians can have dramatically lower levels.
My wife is asthmatic and highly allergic
Maybe worth an inquiry?

View attachment 218461
I'll check that out. We have a labradoodle and she's fine, we have a Anatolian shepherd Pyrenees mix that gets her a little bit...

I want a cat so this may be an option..

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'll check that out. We have a labradoodle and she's fine, we have a Anatolian shepherd Pyrenees mix that gets her a little bit...

I want a cat so this may be an option..
After giving you shit, I suppose I should get your back.

Step 1: Go get a standard issue cat. You know, one you found in a dumpster or under a porch or at a shelter or whatever.
Step 2: Start feeding it Purina's liveclear food. Doesn't need to be 100% of their intake I don't think, ask a vet for more specific feeding information.
Step 3: Use their allergen reducing shampoo every once in awhile if needed.
Step 4: If your allergies are extreme, get an air purifier too. You probably already have one from living in California though.

For most people, the allergies you get from a cat comes from their dander, which is the leftover spit they leave on their fur when they lick themselves (I assume you probably know that because of you mentioning you have a doodle). Purina made a cat food that's designed to eliminate the allergen they have in their spit, so when they clean themselves they're no longer pumping that allergy into their spit, or at a greatly reduced amount. Then use the supplemental shampoo every once in awhile for good measure along with an air purifier if you're still having allergies with just the food, and you can pretty well entirely eliminate the allergies cats cause, and no longer have to worry about getting specific and expensive breeds of designer cats with absolutely no science behind the snake oil sales their breeders claim about them having reduced allergen loads in their dander.

I think it takes around 2 months of being on the food before their allergens are gone, but again, check with a veterinarian because they'll give you more info than I can. I'm not sure where you live in Socal but I have a veterinarian friend in the Camarillo/TO area that's pretty sharp and she can give you some advice if you want an actual professional to get advice from instead of some dude on the internet.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
After giving you shit, I suppose I should get your back.

Step 1: Go get a standard issue cat. You know, one you found in a dumpster or under a porch or at a shelter or whatever.
Step 2: Start feeding it Purina's liveclear food. Doesn't need to be 100% of their intake I don't think, ask a vet for more specific feeding information.
Step 3: Use their allergen reducing shampoo every once in awhile if needed.
Step 4: If your allergies are extreme, get an air purifier too. You probably already have one from living in California though.

For most people, the allergies you get from a cat comes from their dander, which is the leftover spit they leave on their fur when they lick themselves (I assume you probably know that because of you mentioning you have a doodle). Purina made a cat food that's designed to eliminate the allergen they have in their spit, so when they clean themselves they're no longer pumping that allergy into their spit, or at a greatly reduced amount. Then use the supplemental shampoo every once in awhile for good measure along with an air purifier if you're still having allergies with just the food, and you can pretty well entirely eliminate the allergies cats cause, and no longer have to worry about getting specific and expensive breeds of designer cats with absolutely no science behind the snake oil sales their breeders claim about them having reduced allergen loads in their dander.

I think it takes around 2 months of being on the food before their allergens are gone, but again, check with a veterinarian because they'll give you more info than I can. I'm not sure where you live in Socal but I have a veterinarian friend in the Camarillo/TO area that's pretty sharp and she can give you some advice if you want an actual professional to get advice from instead of some dude on the internet.
If this is saying what I think it is saying, wash a cat, then this will fail.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
If this is saying what I think it is saying, wash a cat, then this will fail.
There might be a spray, like spray bottle. instead of bath. But yeah, try to bathe a cat. Good luck. Put on your tactical protective gear. :)

My advice? Anything with a cat, wrap it in a towel first. Then unleash your "trying to keep up on maintenance" on it. That's what we do.

Cat burrito. HA. Actually, our cat loves it. She purrs when she's in the burrito.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There might be a spray, like spray bottle. instead of bath. But yeah, try to bathe a cat. Good luck. Put on your tactical protective gear. :)

My advice? Anything with a cat, wrap it in a towel first. Then unleash your "trying to keep up on maintenance" on it. That's what we do.

Cat burrito. HA. Actually, our cat loves it. She purrs when she's in the burrito.
second the cat purrito.